Platinum Overview

DCLCrazy

Glad you brought that up. In my opinion, castaway club status needs to be revised to number of nights sailed, not number of sailings. Why should somebody who sailed 10 3 or 4-day itineraries be rated the status as somebody like moki'smommy who generally sails longer itineraries? They sure haven't spent as much to earn their status. And this probably contributes to the exponentially increasing platinum members.

That's been something discussed since the program was introduced. Other cruise lines use combinations of number of cruises and number of nights. Some give additional credit for staying in a suite. But it is up to DCL to set their own rules.

Many of us with either large numbers of cruises or lots of nights feel that there should be something above platinum. There are lots of feelings as to what this might be, where it should start, etc. If there is any sort of consensus, it would seem to focus on nights and begin at something like the equivalent of 150 or 175 nights which would be 20 or 25 cruises of 7 nights in duration. The focus on nights cruised for this level would not discriminate against those who do primarily 3 or 4 night cruises; it would just take them more cruises to reach the required number of nights--they would stay at the platinum level for more cruises than someone who did long cruises. However, in fairness, the people I've talked to have been those on the longer cruises. DCL will never keep everyone happy with the program; I basically feel that something is better than nothing.

From DCL's standpoint, I guess an increased program level isn't going to make a difference in whether or not I choose DCL. Decreasing the perks did not cause good feelings, but also is not a reason to not cruise the line. But still, there are warm fuzzies when I get my "free" Palo dinner on DCL or a free internet package on another line.

Edited by moki'smommy

We've been on a few cruises where we've been the only platinum. I think there will be less and less cruisers making it to platinum with current price increases year after year. I also think with other cruise lines building mega ships that are very appealing to kids there may be less reasons for people to pay double the price to sail on DCL. Maybe then they'll bring back some perks we'll see.

We've been on a few cruises where we've been the only platinum. I think there will be less and less cruisers making it to platinum with current price increases year after year. I also think with other cruise lines building mega ships that are very appealing to kids there may be less reasons for people to pay double the price to sail on DCL. Maybe then they'll bring back some perks we'll see.

You may be right about future predictions. And we've had a CM comment that there are not a lot of cruisers at the "super platinum" level, but that "They all choose the same cruises." Guess that's telling DCL what we like.

DCL has to do something special to get me to book now. A typical 3/4/7 around the Caribbean with the same stops just isn't interesting. Reality is that I'm not booking that sort of cruise on any line at any price.

Glad you brought that up. In my opinion, castaway club status needs to be revised to number of nights sailed, not number of sailings. Why should somebody who sailed 10 3 or 4-day itineraries be rated the status as somebody like moki'smommy who generally sails longer itineraries? They sure haven't spent as much to earn their status. And this probably contributes to the exponentially increasing platinum members.

Hey! We have done at least two (2) 5-night cruises! High rollers all the way.

Maybe on paper, my family will someday have the same official status as moki'smommy, but my guess is that Disney is fully aware of difference between someone like mm (or you) and my family. I'm sure the travel agents treat us differently too. The cruise line status only means so much.

That's been something discussed since the program was introduced. Other cruise lines use combinations of number of cruises and number of nights. Some give additional credit for staying in a suite. But it is up to DCL to set their own rules.

Many of us with either large numbers of cruises or lots of nights feel that there should be something above platinum. There are lots of feelings as to what this might be' date=' where it should start, etc. If there is any sort of consensus, it would seem to focus on nights and begin at something like the equivalent of 150 or 175 nights which would be 20 or 25 cruises of 7 nights in duration. The focus on nights cruised for this level would not discriminate against those who do primarily 3 or 4 night cruises; it would just take them more cruises to reach the required number of nights--they would stay at the platinum level for more cruises than someone who did long cruises. However, in fairness, the people I've talked to have been those on the longer cruises. DCL will never keep everyone happy with the program; I basically feel that something is better than nothing.

From DCL's standpoint, I guess an increased program level isn't going to make a difference in whether or not I choose DCL. Decreasing the perks did not cause good feelings, but also is not a reason to not cruise the line. But still, there are warm fuzzies when I get my "free" Palo dinner on DCL or a free internet package on another line.[/quote']

Agree 100% we're going on 15 cruises, so we're a bit behind you, and they were mostly made up with 7 nighters, although 5 were cruises of shorter lengths. I would gladly have been rated on my number of nights, since I feel it magnifies the achievement of reaching each level.

We cruised once on the west coast and definitely recognized a difference. We went to a DVC reception and when they asked how many repeat cruisers there were, only a few hands shot up. Obviously there are less opportunities for people to cruise on the west coast.

Many of us with either large numbers of cruises or lots of nights feel that there should be something above platinum. There are lots of feelings as to what this might be' date=' where it should start, etc. If there is any sort of consensus, it would seem to focus on nights and begin at something like the equivalent of 150 or 175 nights which would be 20 or 25 cruises of 7 nights in duration. The focus on nights cruised for this level would not discriminate against those who do primarily 3 or 4 night cruises; it would just take them more cruises to reach the required number of nights--they would stay at the platinum level for more cruises than someone who did long cruises. However, in fairness, the people I've talked to have been those on the longer cruises. DCL will never keep everyone happy with the program; I basically feel that something is better than nothing.

From DCL's standpoint, I guess an increased program level isn't going to make a difference in whether or not I choose DCL. Decreasing the perks did not cause good feelings, but also is not a reason to not cruise the line. But still, there are warm fuzzies when I get my "free" Palo dinner on DCL or a free internet package on another line.[/quote']

The other thing you have to keep in mind, is the shorter cruises usually cost more per day then the longer cruises. In 7 days you can have a room occupied by 1 familiy or 2, but which way does the line make the most profit. In the end any rewards program is driven off of increasing the bottom line. The rewards program in the beginning was to increase the word of mouth, aka free advertising.

You also have to think that a new cruiser spends more on the first few cruises because everything is new and they don't know any better then to add on the DCL airfare and trip insurance. Given the yearly cruise fare increases, and new people wanting to go on DCL, I suspect, DCL is not carrying as much about repeating customers. The same thing is happening at WDW. There is more profit per person for the once in a life time visitors then for the yearly/annual pass holders. And DCL has a finite number of rooms to be booked, so maximizing the profit per room is even more important.

We might see a rewards shift when the new ships come online, but I suspect the perks will be tailored to getting the repeat customers on the older ships while everyone is running to the new ships. If nothing else, DCL will need more customers to fill up the dramatic increase in room supply.

We have been platinum for several cruises now. As long as have one platinum in your cabin all adults in that cabin get a free Palo dinner. There are four in our family that are platinum and we usually take 7 or 8 people in two or three cabins so we spread the platinum out so that all adults get a Palo dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have been platinum for several cruises now. As long as have one platinum in your cabin all adults in that cabin get a free Palo dinner. There are four in our family that are platinum and we usually take 7 or 8 people in two or three cabins so we spread the platinum out so that all adults get a Palo dinner.

I can see that perk going away very quickly, and it only being given to those who have earned it.

Although you are playing the system within it's rules, it really is taking advantage.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Yes, we've seen others play this game often. My guess is that it would be one of the first perks that might be cut with the complimentary dinner going only to those adults with platinum status.

But you are totally correct--the current stated benefit is for a platinum member and all adults in the cabin with them.