Should we try MSC

MISTER 67

I'm sure there must be others beside me who want to know what the problem was you had with MSC customer service!

I really don't want to rehash it all again. But...

When I booked I got a $150/pp on board credit. I always take all documents on board with me. Once on board, day two, I checked and there was no credit associated with my account. I showed them my documents. For three days we went back and forth with shoreside who kept saying I rebooked (which I did not) and lost my credit, even though they were sent my proof.

When I got home I tried calling for three days with 45+ minute hold times, never talking to a soul. Then I tried emails. I did get a response. It was the same story, that I rebooked and lost the credit. I provided proof again, they couldn't or wouldn't provide proof of my alleged rebooking. They said they would get back to me. After weeks, with no further word, I turned it over to my credit card Company for reimbursement of the small expenses I had on board. My CC company was far more helpful. Case closed.

Still wish it had been different and I could have recommended them to quite a few people who were waiting to hear of my experience. I had really pumped MSC up so I would have been devastated if someone had gone on my recommendation and had my experience. :(

Edited by artypharty

When I booked I got a $150/pp on board credit. I always take all documents on board with me. Once on board, day two, I checked and there was no credit associated with my account. I showed them my documents. For three days we went back and forth with shoreside who kept saying I rebooked (which I did not) and lost my credit, even though they were sent my proof.

When I got home I tried calling for three days with 45+ minute hold times, never talking to a soul. Then I tried emails. I did get a response. It was the same story, that I rebooked and lost the credit. I provided proof again, they couldn't or wouldn't provide proof of my alleged rebooking. They said they would get back to me. After weeks, with no further word, I turned it over to my credit card Company for reimbursement of the small expenses I had on board. My CC company was far more helpful. Case closed.

Still wish it had been different and I could have recommended them to quite a few people who were waiting to hear of my experience. I had really pumped MSC up so I would have been devastated if someone had gone on my recommendation and had my experience. :(

Thank you for replying. You are not alone. I am still waiting for $109.00 refund that was supposed to be applied to my CC after sailing. It's been frustrating for my agent to try to get back. I personally never even bother calling MSC anymore as the wait times are ridiculous and then I can't get that song out of my mind all day :).

Thank you for replying. You are not alone. I am still waiting for $109.00 refund that was supposed to be applied to my CC after sailing. It's been frustrajting for my agent to try to get back. I personally never even bother calling MSC anymore as the wait times are ridiculous and then I can't get that song out of my mind all day :).

I had to deal with them, I'm the TA! :D or maybe that should be a :rolleyes:

Edited by artypharty

I had to deal with them, I'm the TA! :D or maybe that should be a :rolleyes:

Which is why there are several USA Travel agents who flat out refuse to sell MSC. First agent I booked with stopped selling them, and it wouldn't at all surprise me if this second agency stops also given the hassle they are getting retrieving my $109.00. Sorry you are going through this. :(

Which is why there are several USA Travel agents who flat out refuse to sell MSC. First agent I booked with stoppedd selling them, and it wouldn't at all surprise me if this second agency stops also given the hassle they are getting retrieving my $109.00. Sorry you are going through this. :(

That's one reason I'm sad about my experience. I had 4 clients ready and waiting to book. I will not book anyone with MSC now and have moved those clients to other, more reliable, lines.

I wish you and your TA luck with your refund.

Is this the sole reason your were dissatisfied with MSC? No other issues?

If the answer is yes, I would hope it was isolated and wouldn't affect others that you recommended the line to.

I tend to separate the onboard customer service with corporate. I know there are so many ways people book and rebook and take advantage of price changes, the iterations are endless. I can see how they could get screwed up.

Let us know if other issues?

Is this the sole reason your were dissatisfied with MSC? No other issues?

If the answer is yes, I would hope it was isolated and wouldn't affect others that you recommended the line to.

I tend to separate the onboard customer service with corporate. I know there are so many ways people book and rebook and take advantage of price changes, the iterations are endless. I can see how they could get screwed up.

Let us know if other issues?

There were quite a few on board smaller issues as well. You know how when you have to keep talking about something, over and over, you get sick of it? Yeah, that's me.

I totally understand how there could be problems with switched bookings. However, totally disregarding a customers concerns, I do not understand, nor should I have to put up with that behavior. And, I actually do think a $300 issue, on its own, is enough to keep me from booking people on this line. Then let's throw in the smaller on board issues and the hours (cumulatively) spent on the phone... Where is the incentive??

I am glad others are happy and have not had issues. For me, there are too many other cruise lines that produce a fully polished product.

There were quite a few on board smaller issues as well. You know how when you have to keep talking about something, over and over, you get sick of it? Yeah, that's me.

I totally understand how there could be problems with switched bookings. However, totally disregarding a customers concerns, I do not understand, nor should I have to put up with that behavior. And, I actually do think a $300 issue, on its own, is enough to keep me from booking people on this line. Then let's throw in the smaller on board issues and the hours (cumulatively) spent on the phone... Where is the incentive??

I am glad others are happy and have not had issues. For me, there are too many other cruise lines that produce a fully polished product.

I understand your frustration...My only point is that I'm not sure your problem is limited to this cruise line. We are elite plus on Celebrity and have heard many similar grumblings to things these individuals think are reasons to leave as you do with your issue.

I can't imagine working at the guest relations desk of a cruise ship...I'm sure they are bombarded every day with issues like yours and I'm sure most times their hands are tied to make efficient resolutions.

I recently had an issue at a major hotel chain I use regularly and their solution was to give me some reward points...similar to what airlines do whenever something goes wrong...that is their go to apology. (Celebrity usually sends a bottle of wine to room if they want to appease you).

I understand your frustration...My only point is that I'm not sure your problem is limited to this cruise line. We are elite plus on Celebrity and have heard many similar grumblings to things these individuals think are reasons to leave as you do with your issue.

I can't imagine working at the guest relations desk of a cruise ship...I'm sure they are bombarded every day with issues like yours and I'm sure most times their hands are tied to make efficient resolutions.

I recently had an issue at a major hotel chain I use regularly and their solution was to give me some reward points...similar to what airlines do whenever something goes wrong...that is their go to apology. (Celebrity usually sends a bottle of wine to room if they want to appease you).

You are right, my complaint isn't limited to this cruise line. Their lack of response, in my experience, is.

The thing is, I'm not a complainer. Once, and only one, did I make a formal complaint to a cruise line. I have to say I was amazed with the response. It was quick and professional. Over the years I have probably contacted cruise lines about outstanding employees about 5 times. Each of those contacts also engendered fast responses. MSC did absolutely nothing... that was and is my issue with them. Had they even made an attempt, at any level, I would not be writing this. :(

!

Thanks for explaining the details of your complaint. Though you did not want to "rehash it all again," you must have known that when you posted that you had a problem but gave no details, others would want the details! :rolleyes:

Now we have a good understanding of your problem, and can determine for ourselves how your experience should affect our decision-making. The further information you have provided, though uncomfortable for you to rehash, have been truly informative and helpful!

• 3 weeks later...

Long term parking:

Bearing in mind the length of the 2017 World Cruise, we would appreciate any advice on parking. We will be driving to Florida from Canada in early December . We will need to park our car somewhere for 111 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Long term parking:

Bearing in mind the length of the 2017 World Cruise, we would appreciate any advice on parking. We will be driving to Florida from Canada in early December . We will need to park our car somewhere for 111 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

First...allow me to say, I HATE YOU.:D:D:D I am soooo jealous.

Second..I would post this question with our friends on the "Florida Departure" threads: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

There are a lot of people that live in Florida on that section and they would probably have some great ideas. You are talking about 3 1/2 months. Maybe you can post an ad on "Craigs List" to see if someone would let you park in their driveway for a fee. Good Luck to you. :):):)

Edited by champagne123
fffff

For dealing with on board credits/debits, we chose to use a debit card. Debit cards must be reconciled before you leave the ship, which might sound annoying, but it is not. They want your account to be at zero. So, if they owe you money, you get the cash. If you owe them money, you pay in cash. And, you can check your account daily on the tv, so you know where you are at.

To the world cruise friends! Enjoy! I went on a 105 day world cruise when I worked on the QE2. It was amazing!!!

I learned about MSC and Divina here on CC. I am very happy with Celebrity but when I read about the "match" and looked at the prices I couldn't resist booking a 7 day AFT balcony for the October 8th sailing. I too have read the good, bad and ugly reviews here. I am going with an open mind. I booked Seaside for March 2018 thinking if I don't like MSC I can always cancel but I felt that as Seaside gets closer to completion and as many more US cruisers discover MSC the pricing will go up. If I do love it I might have a problem with two Celebrity cruises I have booked for January 2017 and October 2017. I love Celebrity but you pay a premium for the experience. Divina will be my 39th cruise so I have lots to compare it with. :D:D I see both sides of the "Match" debate but feel it was a good move by MSC to gain the exposure they wanted and it appears that it worked.

There were quite a few on board smaller issues as well.

The issue with the credits is indeed unfortunate, but for those of us who are considering MSC as a potential cruise line, exactly what are your "smaller issues"? Such information about one's actual sailing experiences is more helpful to readers in this forum than anything else.

The issue with the credits is indeed unfortunate, but for those of us who are considering MSC as a potential cruise line, exactly what are your "smaller issues"? Such information about one's actual sailing experiences is more helpful to readers in this forum than anything else.

Agreed!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

First of all, I loved our cruise on the Divina in July. And, we are booked for May, 2017. So, we loved it. I highly recommend reading the daily program completely when you get it.

For example, had I read the one on the first day, I would have known already that as a debit card user I would be required to go get any cash owed me by the ship before leaving. The information was there for me to read, but I failed. And, so when my card was scanned and I was not allowed to leave, it was irksome. But, that is on me. Not them.

I would say, as far as the cabin went, I did not enjoy the pillows. My wife found them fine. But, I did not. I like super full fluffy pillows. And, these were thicker, more compact pillows.

We booked the same exact cabin for our May cruise; we like it! And, I will be picking up some pillows from Bed, Bath, and Beyond and bringing them with me. Problem solved.

Some of the food was not as spicy as we liked in the main dining room. We have some spices that we love at home. I am going to pack a few of those to bring with. Problem solved.

So, pillows and lack of spices are my two big issues. But, easily remedied.

Edited by TheSoccerCoach

SC .................. it's a pity you didn't mention the pillow problem to your cabin steward. I've read that, in some instances, the steward will find replacements if they're available! If it's a real issue and the steward can't help, try the housekeeper/supervisor. There's a pillow menu in YC so it's possible, if you insist that you cannot sleep as a result of the poor pillows, that they may find alternatives for you.

I know that there are a lot of complaints about the pillows so if enough people hassled the housekeeping staff, maybe MSC would do something about it! While I tend to agree that they're poor, I'm usually so flat-out by the (late) time I hit the hay after dancing all night I don't notice! :rolleyes: :D

Bytheway, I always bring a small pepper grinder with mixed peppercorns as I've given up on the MDR providing black pepper! I saw a head waiter in the MDR last year who had been our waiter in YC in 2012 - he didn't recognise me but he remembered my little glass peppercorn-filled grinder which he used to very kindly store for me in the YC restaurant and produce it every mealtime with a flourish and an attempt to use it in the same manner as the great big grinders they use with hilarious results :D

Edited by Beamafar

Hello. We actually did mention the pillow issue to her and she, kindly brought us five more. So, we had nine to choose from. But, none of them were the kind that work for me.

We have yet to stay in the yacht club or have access to the pillow menu. Maybe some day...

We've only done YC in 3 out of our 10 Fantasia class cruises. We enjoy a balcony cabin just as much and feel that, on a port-intensive cruise, it's better value for us. However, YC is great for a special occasion such as an anniversary which is what we do, though this year we're on Sinfonia so no YC - but we did get a free upgrade to a suite on our booking which was a nice surprise ......... though we don't get the benefits associated with an Aurea suite as we booked Fantastica, but I can live with that :)

I've never used the pillow menu in YC .............. again, for the reason mentioned previously!!

Edited by Beamafar