If you are cruising the inside passage

jean-lynd

I purchased the Alaska Cruise Companion when we first got on the ship and I am so glad that I did. It was $19 for the book and map together. We were really interested in seeing as much wildlife as we could and it was very good at telling us what to look for and where. It is also a great souvenier! We saw whales, sea lions, seals, otters, porpoise, dolphins, mountain goats and bald eagles. We spent many hours on our balcony with our binoculars!

There is also a book called "Alaska by Cruiseship" that you can purchase in advance that includes a map. I ordered mine from Amazon and we hung the map on the wall in the cabin to follow along throughout the trip.

I just purchased the book for our cruise in September. I like the idea of hanging it up in the cabin. Thanks!

Another cool book to have (but it is big and heavy) is the Alaska Gazetteer . Topo maps and waterway details. Know the names of the islands you are passing, the passage being taken or how high the mountains are. We used it as extra padding in soft sided suitcase to protect fragile items.

Also curious if it includes the map. All I can find on Amazon are used, which tells me the maps might possibly be missing???

Amazon also doesn't have the the current edition. I called princess to order it prior, but you can only get it on the ship. I would like to read it ahead of time.

We also bought the book and also hung the map up in our cabin. We asked someone from Passenger Services for some tape. (The tape wouldn't stick to the wall so we hung our map over the large picture hanging on the wall. The tape stuck to its glass nicely). :)

A couple of tips...

• Check your public library and see if they have a copy of "Alaska by Cruiseship". I checked out the book before our cruise, read most of it at home just prior to leaving and then (carefully) took only the map with us.

• Use magnetic clips to hang the map on the wall (should work in most cruise ship cabins.)