Mother bear with two cubs

mek

I've been watching the web cam since it came live and the past few days, I can hardly tear myself away. When the bears are there, I leave it up on my computer while I'm doing other things, and take a glance at it from time to time. The fish are really jumping now. I don't know whether I'm more fascinated by the fish trying to get up the falls or the bears trying to catch the fish.

I'm a night owl, and at 2:00 am EST, there were seven bears at the falls. Saw a couple of bears defending their territories and watched a couple of the bears getting quite a few fish. Just like people, some bears are better fishermen than others. I'm getting a big kick out of one of the bears that fishes beneath the falls as he grasps his fish in his front left claws and presses it against his upper right leg and just tears it into strips. He never moves away from the fast moving water or relinquishes his spot. I wonder how many years it takes to perfect a technique like that!

Makes me wish we could squeeze in another bear watching trip when we head to Alaska next month, but since that won't happen, I'll just have to get my fill watching the bear cam.

More fish today, but I haven't seen the bears like yesterday. Maybe I've just checked in at the wrong times.

Edited by mek

I have it on my iPad while I work. Mom and the two kids are back - she just caught a fish and the little stinkers stole it from her -she didn't fight too hard! They're starting to go out in the water above the falls. Such fun to watch!

Edited by mek