MSC Splendida

DiamondGirl83

I'm usually a NCL cruiser but thinking of booking the Splendida around UAE. I've just read some awful reviews and wondered if anyone has any recent experience of this ship?

Interested in hearing about the food quality, the service and the hygiene.

Thanks in advance

I have been on the Splendida a while back and never had a bad experience. Of course, it was in the Yacht Club but that shouldn't matter. Actually, I've never had a bad experience on any MSC ship.

The service was always top notch. Food is harder to comment on because people judge food according to their own likes and dislikes. I enjoyed what MSC had to offer on all the ships; either in the MDR, Buffet or YC.

The only trouble I ever had with MSC was with their front office - but that's another story.

Thanks for your reply. I have read on here that a lot of the passengers and most crew don't speak any English. Did you find that to be the case? Given that I don't speak any other language fluently this may be a problem especially as I plan to travel solo.

Thanks

No issues speaking English, and being understood, onboard. Most of the crew understand 3 or more languages. Usually English was their second language. That said, you may come across someone who can't speak English at all. Even so, it should not be too much of an inconvenience since there should be a "speaker" nearby.

Good luck getting a solo booking. I understand that some people have varying degrees of success on this. I am contemplating trying for a solo in November but on the Divina.

Do they not like solos, I have been with NCL in the past and they have solo meet ups which is great. I've sent an email query to msc and they seem happy to let me book solo.

What types of problems have people experienced?

I am not too sure what problems solo cruisers have faced on MSC specifically. I have read posts in the past where they could not book on-line unless they added more than one name or something similar. I also think that the website in one country allows it while a web site from another country will not even for the same cruise.

I recommend you do a search for more detailed info.

Interested in hearing about the food quality, the service and the hygiene.

MSC ships are incredibly clean - everywhere you look there is always someone dusting, wiping, sweeping, polishing - and, to the best of my knowledge, they rarely, if ever, have cases of Norovirus onboard.

I've always had great service from the crew. I find if you treat them well, they respond accordingly. Most speak some English - I've never had a problem being understood. When ordering food from the menu or drinks from the bar list, I'll point to the item I'm ordering so that there's no miscommunication due to accent issues. Remember, even if they speak English they are constantly speaking it with people of many different accents, including among the crew where English is the universal language onboard.

Food is subjective. I've had good and not so good experiences but I'm a picky eater which limits my choices. My DH, on the other hand, has no such problems and enjoys the food onboard - especially the pizza which he eats a lot of !! I've also found that the food offerings and quality can differ from ship to ship.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on splendida in May and had a wonderful time. Will be back on her in September and October.

Yes there is a cruise director. The day time activites tends to be deck games, on one day there is usually an 'Oktoberfest' - there are sometimes quizzes in one of the bars and there's a dance class every day. I put a review on after my trip - have you taken a look at it?

Re the pizzas - they change daily, normally one or two veggie options and one meat option

I was on splendida in May and had a wonderful time. Will be back on her in September and October.

Yes there is a cruise director. The day time activites tends to be deck games, on one day there is usually an 'Oktoberfest' - there are sometimes quizzes in one of the bars and there's a dance class every day. I put a review on after my trip - have you taken a look at it?

Re the pizzas - they change daily, normally one or two veggie options and one meat option

Thanks I will take a look at your review