Rome HoHo from Civitavecchia

JohnS43

OK ... trying to figure out the best way to do this. Based on what I can find online, it looks like the train station in Civitavecchia is about a 10-minute walk from the port (that's assuming there's only one port and one train station, which is what I found on Google Maps.) And from there, there are several trains an hour to Termini station in Rome. And from there, I can pick up a HoHo bus. Does this sound right?

Bottom line: I'm trying to figure out the best way to get around Rome and see what I want to see. I lived there for six months in 1980, but haven't been back since. But I don't see a real need to revisit a lot of the "usual suspects" that I've seen before.

Any suggestions for alternative ways to accomplish this? Thanks!

Well....

While part of the port's perimeter may be a 10-minute walk from the train station, you unfortunately won't likely have the option of walking.

In Civitavecchia port there are free shuttle buses that take passengers to a designated drop-off area, which moved a couple of years ago to a spot that's about twice as far from the train station (so, about a 20-25 minute walk if you are a good walker).

If you don't want to walk, there is a local bus you can pick up right at the shuttle drop off point, for a small charge, that will get you to the station.

The rest of your info seems pretty accurate. Trains run about twice an hour through most of the day. And yes, if you get off at Termini, you'll be right where the HOHO buses start.

However, I'd consider whether that's really what you want, given your familiarity with Rome. The HOHO buses are pretty slow to get around and -- given the traffic patterns and pedestrian areas in Rome now -- they do not exactly drive right by all of the sites. For example, you can't see Trevi Fountain or the Pantheon without getting off the bus and walking.

Just food for thought. What things are you wanting to revisit?

I'm a fan of Ho-hos generally, but I concur with cruisemom that Rome's aren't worth considering. They have a very basic main-road route, spend half their time stuck in traffic and the other half sat at either their Termini or Vatican stop.

The train from Civi has several Rome stops before Termini including San Pietro and Ostiense.

JB :)

Thanks to both of your for your responses. I guess I haven't given a lot of thought to what I'll be doing -- I just figured I didn't want to go back and try to see the Vatican and various museums again. I wouldn't mind going back to where my apartment was (near Piazza Fiume) or where I worked (the US Embassy on Via Veneto.) So I figured the HoHo would give me the option to get off and walk around on my own at various stops. I really don't need to see the typical tourist destinations like the Colosseum, Forum, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, etc. -- I kind of want to get an idea of how much Rome has changed since 1980. Maybe I should just take the train into town and then use the subway and/or buses and make a day of it. As long as I give myself plenty of time to get back to the ship, I think I can do it. And I speak a little Italian, so that will help, I hope!

Thanks to both of your for your responses. I guess I haven't given a lot of thought to what I'll be doing -- I just figured I didn't want to go back and try to see the Vatican and various museums again. I wouldn't mind going back to where my apartment was (near Piazza Fiume) or where I worked (the US Embassy on Via Veneto.) So I figured the HoHo would give me the option to get off and walk around on my own at various stops. I really don't need to see the typical tourist destinations like the Colosseum, Forum, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, etc. -- I kind of want to get an idea of how much Rome has changed since 1980. Maybe I should just take the train into town and then use the subway and/or buses and make a day of it. As long as I give myself plenty of time to get back to the ship, I think I can do it. And I speak a little Italian, so that will help, I hope!

Sounds like you can play it by ear. If you get the BIRG ticket for the train, it allows you to use the bus & metro system all day as well.

Have fun; nothing more enjoyable than a rambling day in Rome...