Anthem of the Seas - quite the puzzlement!

If there is one on this site's review section that causes me confusion is the Anthem of the Seas (and Quantum class vessels) rating amongst cruisers.

I am sailing on Anthem of the Seas in January coming for 12 nights to the Caribbean (and I WILL be going on it as I am not letting the reviews putting me off) however there is some things I do want to ask regarding Anthem of the Seas that kind of puzzle me: -

1) Reservations - what's the dealio with this? One thing I have noticed is in order to improve your experience on Anthem is to get your reservations in early like Dynamic Dining and the Activities etc however I am seeing quite a lot of mentions of reservations either going wrong or losing them completely so what I want to know is how did others do their reservations? Did they do them online or call Royal Caribbean prior to sailing? Or did they wait until they go on the ship and either do them via Royal IQ app on their phone or speaking to Guest Services? Which method yielded best results?

2) What is the VOOM internet like on this ship in terms of its speed and stability? And that question applies in the stateroom and in public areas... I was on Navigator of the Seas fresh from her instalment of VOOM in May this year and, to put it quite frankly, it reminded me of dial up on a good day and was utterly unusable so ended up cancelling it so hoping this ships VOOM actually works as described!

3) I know this ship has the WOW bands however am I right in saying that both a) they are chargeable? and if so, how much are they? and b) They don't at all venues on the ship as not all venues on the ship have a portable/compatible reader?

Any food reviews I will be ignoring as food is HIGHLY subjective (someone's interpretation of a dish will vary so significant) so will acknowledge them however I will take their review with a pinch of salt, no pun intended

If there is one on this site's review section that causes me confusion is the Anthem of the Seas (and Quantum class vessels) rating amongst cruisers.

I am sailing on Anthem of the Seas in January coming for 12 nights to the Caribbean (and I WILL be going on it as I am not letting the reviews putting me off) however there is some things I do want to ask regarding Anthem of the Seas that kind of puzzle me: -

1) Reservations - what's the dealio with this? One thing I have noticed is in order to improve your experience on Anthem is to get your reservations in early like Dynamic Dining and the Activities etc however I am seeing quite a lot of mentions of reservations either going wrong or losing them completely so what I want to know is how did others do their reservations? Did they do them online or call Royal Caribbean prior to sailing? Or did they wait until they go on the ship and either do them via Royal IQ app on their phone or speaking to Guest Services? Which method yielded best results?

2) What is the VOOM internet like on this ship in terms of its speed and stability? And that question applies in the stateroom and in public areas... I was on Navigator of the Seas fresh from her instalment of VOOM in May this year and, to put it quite frankly, it reminded me of dial up on a good day and was utterly unusable so ended up cancelling it so hoping this ships VOOM actually works as described!

3) I know this ship has the WOW bands however am I right in saying that both a) they are chargeable? and if so, how much are they? and b) They don't at all venues on the ship as not all venues on the ship have a portable/compatible reader?

Any food reviews I will be ignoring as food is HIGHLY subjective (someone's interpretation of a dish will vary so significant) so will acknowledge them however I will take their review with a pinch of salt, no pun intended

First of all, relax. Yes, Anthem is a very different cruising experience and the reviews are all over the place. Just keep an open mind and a positive attitude and things should fall into place.

The reservations were new to me too. I booked what I could on my cruise planner. What I couldn't book I called Royal and was lucky enough to get someone who could actually help me and even email me a copy of everything on one page.

I found Guest Services to be a joke and run by airheads. Wrong information was given to us many times. Guest Services did not know what WOW bands were. On our cruise they also did not know what the Royal IQ app was. They did not know about the "texting other passengers" for $7.00 for the whole cruise, we were given the internet price of $15 per day. We even missed our M&M party as we were told the wrong time. Hopefully they have to be better trained by now.

I would try to book everything on your planner when available about 60 to 90 days out. And speaking about a puzzle, don't forget the puzzle room.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise. Would I book Anthem again? Yes!!:)

1: We booked all of our dinner reservations, 3 main show reservations, I-fly, and Northstar reservations all on the cruise planner online as soon as we could. I believe two of our shows ended up getting time changed but they were only moved like a half hour or so and royal automatically moved our reservations to the new show times so we didn't have to do anything! We were lucky enough that it didn't interfere with dinner or anything.

2: I'm not sure, we've never purchased the internet packages!

3: If I remember correctly I believe the WOW bands were $4.95. We also didn't buy these though because as you said they weren't usable at all of the venues anyways.

We did however purchase the $7.95 texting capability through the Royal IQ app. The $7.95 cost was the total for the duration of our cruise per device. It worked out great for us to keep in touch with my parents/aunt & uncle.

I wouldn't worry about the negative reviews either. We loved the Anthem and we are currently looking forward to being on her again in January for 12 wonderful nights! The ship is beautiful, the staff were exceptional for the most part, and we loved all of the activities!

Edited by sammydh82

First of all, relax. Yes, Anthem is a very different cruising experience and the reviews are all over the place. Just keep an open mind and a positive attitude and things should fall into place.

I would try to book everything on your planner when available about 60 to 90 days out. And speaking about a puzzle, don't forget the puzzle room.

Agreed 100%!! :D

Oh ya, the Puzzle Room! This was one thing you can't book online ahead of time but should do so as soon as possible after boarding. They only have very few time slots and they fill up quickly!

We made dinner, show and event reservations a month or more in advance, and had no problem with those reservations once we were on board ship.

My brother-in-law is tied to his computer; honestly, had he started cruising before the days of Wi-Fi at sea, I think he would have curled up in a corner and wept for the whole week. According to him, the VOOM internet on Anthem was spectacular -- as good as his Wi-Fi at home.

We had a fine time on Anthem, and she is a lovely ship, but at the end of the day we had kind of a "blah" feeling about her. Nothing that would make us dis her, but also, unlike, say the Oasis-class ships, nothing that would make us especially want to book a Quantum class ship in the near future.

1. Make reservations online ahead of time, especially if you want early dining times. I checked via the Royal iQ app as soon as we were onboard and there was very little available. I did manage to snag a 6:15 seating on the Grande on night 1, which was a great way to start things off. That was the only night I had not pre-booked. Also of note, is that the dress code is very relaxed on the first and last nights in the Grande. People were in everything from jeans and t-shirts to suits and dresses.

2. Your Navigator experience likely was still the older high-orbit satellite technology. I've found VOOM onboard Anthem to be reliable and very pervasive, in both the room and public areas. I was still even connected, on the pier, in Bermuda, a good hundred yards from the ship. Speed has been adequate for my needs. I haven't tried streaming a movie, or video chatting with anyone, however I think it would be up to the task.

As we leave Labadee, I'm currently experiencing 3.87 d/s and 1.12 u/s, with 506 latency, while sitting in my room. That's by far the highest ping I've seen. I've been quite pleased with it.

3. The WOW bands are not chargeable, as there is nothing to charge. They contain an RFID chip that is read by scanner, which is also how the SeaPass cards on this ship work. I've seen exactly one spot, thus far, that needed to see the card in lieu of the band. That was at a cart with bottled water, etc., on the way off the ship. This person did not have a scanner, and was using a pen and receipt pad. My wife stopped using the band after the second day, because she had to keep taking it off to hand to waiters, bartenders, etc. who didn't have portable scanners. That pretty much killed the convenience of it for her. If she had to keep taking it off, it was just as easy to carry the card. I didn't opt to get one.

Others mileage may vary on any of these, but this has been our experience this week. Enjoy your cruise. This is our fourth, and my SIL's first. We're all having a great time.

The reservations were new to me too. I booked what I could on my cruise planner. What I couldn't book I called Royal and was lucky enough to get someone who could actually help me and even email me a copy of everything on one page.

I found Guest Services to be a joke and run by airheads. Wrong information was given to us many times. Guest Services did not know what WOW bands were. On our cruise they also did not know what the Royal IQ app was. They did not know about the "texting other passengers" for $7.00 for the whole cruise, we were given the internet price of $15 per day. We even missed our M&M party as we were told the wrong time. Hopefully they have to be better trained by now.

That's odd, because I was on the Anthem in January and February (i.e., before you) and everyone at Guest Services knew about WOW bands and Royal IQ.

If there is one on this site's review section that causes me confusion is the Anthem of the Seas (and Quantum class vessels) rating amongst cruisers. Early reviews were often brutal. Negativity seems to beget negativity. I had a fabulous 22 nights on her this winter.

I am sailing on Anthem of the Seas in January coming for 12 nights to the Caribbean (and I WILL be going on it as I am not letting the reviews putting me off) however there is some things I do want to ask regarding Anthem of the Seas that kind of puzzle me: - Awwww.........I will be getting off as you are getting on. :(

1) Reservations - what's the dealio with this? One thing I have noticed is in order to improve your experience on Anthem is to get your reservations in early like Dynamic Dining and the Activities etc however I am seeing quite a lot of mentions of reservations either going wrong or losing them completely so what I want to know is how did others do their reservations? Did they do them online or call Royal Caribbean prior to sailing? Or did they wait until they go on the ship and either do them via Royal IQ app on their phone or speaking to Guest Services? Which method yielded best results?None of my reservations were ever lost, among four cruises on Quantum & Anthem. I booked online, then made changes and new reservations on board. Never a problem.

2) What is the VOOM internet like on this ship in terms of its speed and stability? And that question applies in the stateroom and in public areas... I was on Navigator of the Seas fresh from her instalment of VOOM in May this year and, to put it quite frankly, it reminded me of dial up on a good day and was utterly unusable so ended up cancelling it so hoping this ships VOOM actually works as described!Fabulous. As good as at home.

3) I know this ship has the WOW bands however am I right in saying that both a) they are chargeable? and if so, how much are they? and b) They don't at all venues on the ship as not all venues on the ship have a portable/compatible reader?$5 USD. My free ones from the Quantum were happily exchanged for free for new ones on the Anthem. ;) Some people reported that using them at bars can be difficult, because you have to be near the reader. That sometimes means taking it off and handing it to the bartender.

Hi, Paul. I have inserted my responses in RED :).

I am on Anthem in September and was able to book the puzzle room online last week. Times did book up within a day though, so hopefully others will be able to book times when on the ship.

Did this show up under Activities? North Star JUST opened for our Oct sailing last Friday and don't want to miss out on the puzzle room. Thanks!

Agreed 100%!! :D

Oh ya, the Puzzle Room! This was one thing you can't book online ahead of time but should do so as soon as possible after boarding. They only have very few time slots and they fill up quickly!

Actually, I booked the Puzzle room late last week online for our September sailing, I think it was book able for about 2 days and then for only the last day at sea with about 3 time options. That said, it is such a mess, as we are approaching 60 days out and you still can't book entertainment, which means you risk having to fix dining arrangements on the ship, which I despise. This sailing has been a complete IT department cluster.... For months they showed the PDF with entertainment schedules for European departures when it has been in NY (Cape Liberty) all year. Idiots.

JC

I am on Anthem in September and was able to book the puzzle room online last week. Times did book up within a day though, so hopefully others will be able to book times when on the ship.

Actually, I booked the Puzzle room late last week online for our September sailing, I think it was book able for about 2 days and then for only the last day at sea with about 3 time options. T

JC

Awesome! Maybe that's something they changed then because we weren't able to when we made all of our reservations for our Anthem cruise this past May. I will definitely keep an eye out for Puzzle Break reservations to open up too then along with all the others!! Thanks! :)

That's odd, because I was on the Anthem in January and February (i.e., before you) and everyone at Guest Services knew about WOW bands and Royal IQ.

We seemed to get the same two people at Guest Services, a man and a woman. Both probably did not even know what ship they were on, and being total airheads, they were also very rude. Since we had no paperwork at all in our cabin, we asked for a printout of our C&A benefits............no can do :confused: They also NEVER smiled.

The cruise before us was also a "noro" cruise.........it could be that they were just replacements for someone who was still sick??

Waitstaff in Grande was sub par...........They brought me the wrong wine four times in a row, I just left it. Our entrees were delivered to the wrong table each time we dined there. They came back and handed us dessert menus. Uh, can we eat first? One waiter was talking like Donald Duck, there were no children to entertain, very annoying.

We just did not let it ruin our cruise, way too small to dwell on. After dinner I went to the Music Hall and got my wine. Good thing I had the drink package.:rolleyes: Other than that, Anthem was awesome!!:)

Voom is fast and works everywhere on the ship.

We made all our reservations for dinner and shows and activities 3 months before sailing. When we got on the ship there was a letter in our room telling us that they took the liberty of making reservations for us in several restaurants. All of ours were at 7 pm. They changed all our times to 5:15. We immediately (group of 6) headed to Guest Services with printed confirmations in hand. The rep,told us nothing was available at the times we requested and my response was that's impossible because I have a written confirmation from Royal that my selected times were available 3 months prior. Guess what. I got all my original times and locations back.

I was given 2 free wow bands and they seemed to work everywhere. Very convenient not having to pull a card out all the time.

PS. Loved the ship. Ignor the reviews.

We seemed to get the same two people at Guest Services, a man and a woman. Both probably did not even know what ship they were on, and being total airheads, they were also very rude. Since we had no paperwork at all in our cabin, we asked for a printout of our C&A benefits............no can do :confused: They also NEVER smiled.

The cruise before us was also a "noro" cruise.........it could be that they were just replacements for someone who was still sick??

Waitstaff in Grande was sub par...........They brought me the wrong wine four times in a row, I just left it. Our entrees were delivered to the wrong table each time we dined there. They came back and handed us dessert menus. Uh, can we eat first? One waiter was talking like Donald Duck, there were no children to entertain, very annoying.

We just did not let it ruin our cruise, way too small to dwell on. After dinner I went to the Music Hall and got my wine. Good thing I had the drink package.:rolleyes: Other than that, Anthem was awesome!!:)

Boy, you DID attract the weirdos! :eek: :p ;)

Voom is fast and works everywhere on the ship.

We made all our reservations for dinner and shows and activities 3 months before sailing. When we got on the ship there was a letter in our room telling us that they took the liberty of making reservations for us in several restaurants. All of ours were at 7 pm. They changed all our times to 5:15. We immediately (group of 6) headed to Guest Services with printed confirmations in hand. The rep,told us nothing was available at the times we requested and my response was that's impossible because I have a written confirmation from Royal that my selected times were available 3 months prior. Guess what. I got all my original times and locations back.

I was given 2 free wow bands and they seemed to work everywhere. Very convenient not having to pull a card out all the time.

PS. Loved the ship. Ignor the reviews.

I assume that you were in a JS or higher. Those accommodations get free WOW bands.

:)

My experience of Quantum class ships was on the original maiden trans Atlantic cruise of the Quantum of the Seas.

1. Online reservations for dinners and things was brand new for our cruise. A couple times they did work on the system and it lost some data for whatever reason. We finished up reserving about a month prior and everything was in place when we arrived on the ship. Some other people did experience complications with reservations but they honored print outs. Royal's app was not available for Android so I have no experience of that. We did use a different app to text each other across the ship which worked on wifi and that seemed to work well.

2. VOOM was not working properly on this cruise but they tried. We were able to skype with video even though it wasn't fully functional and it wasn't bad.

3. a) chargeable? Not sure if you mean is there a fee. We received them free on this cruise but I think they said going forward it would be approximately $5 for the bands. b) They worked everywhere we tried to use them including a shop and a couple of bars.

The worst tech problem we had during our cruise was information provided online prior to the cruise did not work correctly. They couldn't find out pictures we had supplied online and took new ones. Then whenever we checked in different places we could see sometimes one picture came up, sometimes the other. No idea what that meant. Also we got a letter no payment form supplied but we'd supplied it online before the cruise. When we took them our card and she went to add it to our account it came up and asked her to verify it was the one they already had on file. GS chick tried to hide it but I saw. Since then we always wait until we're on the ship to provide our form of payment for our account and that seems to work fine.

Hope this helps.

Hey guys thanks for all the replies - 14th January I go on this ship (already registered for the Meet & Mingle as well as putting my name down on the roll call) and the one thing that was very apparent to me was: -

1) Reservations - do them beforehand, even the online check in

2) Food Quality/Service and everyone's "interpretation" of it

3) either it's nothing like Norwegian or Carnival (hard to get that one confused I thought) or the Coke machines don't work

But to overly generalise my concerns, it was the contradictory content of the reviews that was confusing me. For example one review would say "Chic was rubbish, service was poor and far too crowded" then I'll read the next review and it will say "chic was amazing, service was excellent and plenty of room for everyone" almost contradicting the last comment and that happens on a lot of cruisers who go within the same month/sailing

I'm still super pumped at going on this amazing cruise any ways and will be looking forward to the meet and mingle onboard!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

And in regards to the WOW band question -when I ask if it's chargeable, I meant do I have to pay for it? But I see the answer is a yes

Yes, it's $4.99. We didn't get charged for the one my wife got, and ultimately didn't use, but I'm sure that was just an oversight. We're not in a suite.

Guest maddycat
Hey guys thanks for all the replies - 14th January I go on this ship (already registered for the Meet & Mingle as well as putting my name down on the roll call) and the one thing that was very apparent to me was: -

1) Reservations - do them beforehand, even the online check in

2) Food Quality/Service and everyone's "interpretation" of it

3) either it's nothing like Norwegian or Carnival (hard to get that one confused I thought) or the Coke machines don't work

But to overly generalise my concerns, it was the contradictory content of the reviews that was confusing me. For example one review would say "Chic was rubbish, service was poor and far too crowded" then I'll read the next review and it will say "chic was amazing, service was excellent and plenty of room for everyone" almost contradicting the last comment and that happens on a lot of cruisers who go within the same month/sailing

I'm still super pumped at going on this amazing cruise any ways and will be looking forward to the meet and mingle onboard!

We were on Anthem in April. After reading comments on CC concerning the entertainment, we were not expecting to like any of the main shows (We Will Rock You, Sprectra's Cabaret, The Gift). Were pleasantly we surprised. We loved all three shows. We've been on over 30 cruises (over 20 RCI cruises) and thought that the entertainment on the Anthem was the best of any of our cruises.

Since we had no paperwork at all in our cabin, we asked for a printout of our C&A benefits............no can do :confused: They also NEVER smiled.

Guest Services does not deliver the letters itemizing the C&A Benefits. The Loyalty Ambassador's desk, which was located to the right of Guest Services, could have given you a print out.