How much luggage do you bring?

Early on when my kids cruised my daughter had a dress hangar for 2 formal gowns and my son's suit. Major PIA. We had 2 large cases and a carry on.

Now I go solo with a carry on and a large case. Next cruise I won't take formal shoes, formal purse. I stopped using the over the door thingie but use smaller ones that zip closed and take up less space. I do laundry if I go on a dirty excursion.

Wish I could go with just a carry on but no way. The collapsible cooler takes up a lot of space but I guess I could carry that outside the case.

For 7 night cruise - 2 large 29" (one for each of us), a small 21" (for toiletries, misc, etc), and a tote (soda & wine)..All fit thru the scanner and we carry on..(tote fits on small case- all have 4 wheels).

We wear uniforms for work..jeans at home, so we tend to dress up a bit..In fact, my DH takes more clothes than I do!..lol

We each bring one medium size bag and a carry on. I am one of those who never wears the same thing twice on a trip, so I need clothes to wear to breakfast and on tour if not going to a beach. I need lots of bathing suits and coverups as I can't stand putting on a damp bathing suit. And, we dress nicely for dinner every night. Of course I need shoes for every outfit! DH is just as bad. Different shirt and shorts every day for breakfast, t shirts and bathing suits and probably 5 pairs of slacks and 5 collar shirts for dinner + a suit, dress shirts, ties, and sneakers, sandals, loafers, topsiders and his dress shoes. I do send all of DH's underwear, tee shirts and shorts out to washed before the end of the cruise, so I don't have too much laundry to do when I get home. Most of my stuff either goes to the cleaners or has to be hand washed.

For my 3 & 4 day cruises sans kids I took a standard airport carry on bag. For my 3 5-days myself & my travel partner each took a carry on & shared 1 regular suitcase as well.

I took a 4-day with my 2 kids (plus a night in FL) & we toom 3 carry on bags. We're doing a 6-day plus a night in FL in Oct & will take at least 2 carry ons (if not 3) plus one shared suitcase.

I KNOW I overpack. I like to have choices in outfits. Even knowing that, the amount of luggage I see outside some cabins makes me :eek: :eek:

Edited by Drose716

When I vacation on land I typically rent a house or condo so I do laundry. I do not do laundry on a cruise. Although I am a female I am not too lady like to admit I sweat and by golly I am not a delicate little flower that sweats rose water. I sweat real sweat like a real person so no I won't be rewearing sweaty clothes on a hot Caribbean cruise. Letting clothing dry does not get it clean as soon as it heats up you smell it and I have a nose like a bloodhound, I'd never be able to stand myself if I rewore sweaty clothes even if everyone else thought I smelled fine.

Anyways, I take one larger rolling suitcase and one carry on so still not a lot of luggage and unpacking takes about 5 minutes tops. Everything that needs hung up is already on hangers because the bag is designed to hold hangers. Everything that needs to go in drawers is neatly folded and in ziplock bags so that takes a whole minute to do. My jewelry, makeup etc is all in a hanging organizers that go inside the closet. If something needs to go in the safe it's in a small organizer for that. Shoes are in ziplocks so they are a quick unpack too.

Not sure what bag size has to do with unpacking, if you are organized it should be a breeze no matter the size of your bag. My general travel rule is whatever size bag you bring you better be able to carry it because I'm not your pack mule :)

Oh and we take and extra rolling carry on that use to have bottled water on it for me but now that it's not allowed we'll take soda for the kids to make floats with. On the way back we'll use it to pack whatever we buy to bring home.

Edited by poobears

It's interesting to see how everyone approaches packing so differently. I'm envious of those who've gotten it down to such a science as to pull it all off in a carry on. ;)

We're just now planning for only our second cruise - which will also be our first family vacation - but I'm fairly certain that there will be several suitcases involved for the three of us. :eek: My son is neurodivergent, and we absolutely can't travel without bringing along some of his usual coping tools, which will take up a fair amount of a suitcase. And hubby and I are big people, which means bigger clothes that take up more room. I'm hoping to get by with two large/mid-size suitcases, plus The Boy's carry on size suitcase and our backpack/totes for on the plane. Hoping... :rolleyes:

We arrived in Seattle today for Tuesday's Legend cruise to Alaska, and I would describe our luggage as "too dang much!!!" My husband soooo overpacked.

We are very proud overpackers! I don't understand how anyone would think it's easier to do laundry on a ship (schlep your stuff, hope a machine is available, be back on time for the drier, schlep it back, fold it) than packing and unpacking what you'll need for the whole trip.

I guess I kind of understand folks who got a good deal on an early flight needing to do self assist, but beyond that I don't understand why everyone else is in such a rush to end their vacation that they forgo things they would enjoy during the vacation in order to do self assist.

The last time DW and I packed light was our honeymoon 24 years ago. We were blessed to be able to to a 3 week Europe bus tour and with checking in and out of hotels every couple of days, light packing made sense and we made it work. We still enjoy looking at pictures of London, Brussels, Germany, Venice, Rome, Switzerland, And Paris....We don't enjoy seeing ourselves in the same two outfits in every city!

Our cruising addiction is very much a reaction to that wonderful trip. We get to see a few different places (that we've already been to) on every trip, but can pack as much as we like because we only have to do it once.

Since we drive to port and spend 2 nights locally before the cruise, we pack, on a 7 day cruise, one large suitcase, one carry on, and one back pack bag for the 2 bottles of wine we're allowed. We check everything but the back pack when checking in and only live out of the carry on for pre-cruise. I have a very small cross body purse for travel which sits in a large shoulder bag in which I have all of our electronics and paperwork. We both like to choose daily what we will wear so we have options. DH wears a nice guyabera with trousers on formal nights and I wear a dress. Shoes are not an issue, as we only use 2-3 pairs for all of our outfits, mostly sandals (DH has shoes, I have sandals!). We also use cubes to make packing easier. I imagine our Alaska cruise will be different, but, so far, this has worked for us.

I tend to do a lot of what if packing. I have gotten better over the years and very good at packing for cruises.

I like a variety of sandals and sundresses and also don't like to wear my swimwear twice (feels yucky to me).

Outside of clothing, my heaviest items tend to be toiletries - full sized deordorant, sunscreen, every medicine known to man (sorry I like to be overprepared - tums, bandages, allergy tabs, aspirin) and feel a little spoiled when I can drive to the port without being limited with my bags.

We each have a suitcase and a carry on backpack for our own personal items - like cameras and things like that. We throw our dirty clothes in a basket in the corner all week then packing is very simple, it all goes into the suitcase that is now empty.

One thing that I love is that I keep our clothes on the thin hangers from the dry cleaners, and I can pull them out and hang and I am instantly unpacked. The other items just go in the drawer.

We each take a large suitcase. I wear a backpack that holds cruise doc's, wine, and other little sundries. We also have a smaller tote to hold carryon soda.

Since we drive to port, it doesn't matter how big or little we pack, as long as it fits into the vehicle. :D

We also have no interest in using the Platinum laundry perk.

If it's only the two of us, my husband and I typically each bring a big giant duffle bag on wheels (checked luggage with most of our clothes and liquids), one overnight carry-on that we share (electronics and important documentation that stays with us on the plane), a garment bag that we share if we are bringing formal clothes (great for shoes and other things since there are many small compartments in ours), and a backpack (more electronics my personal items).

I can pack for a world cruise in a snack size zip lock bag--- NOT!!

We drive to our cruise port, so I pack with the "I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it" mindset. As I don't ask anyone else to carry my luggage without payment, I don't quite understand the disdain of the light packers. I cannot count the number of times I have helped out someone who was desperately looking for an item that was not available in the ships shops. We overpackers believe in being prepared 😀

I've been traveling, land and cruises, for 30+ years. I always over pack. Each trip I say I'm going to do better. But I love my shoes and accessories to much! We almost never do laundry on vacation. This next trip we are flying 1st class (1st time) and can have 2 free checked bags each. DH and I will each bring 1 large bag and a carry on, plus a medium size bag for snorkel gear. We are staying in the Keys for a week after our cruise. We rented a house so can do laundry there after the cruise. So excited!

It really depends on the itinerary, cruise line and if we are staying or traveling pre or post cruise.

For a standard seven day cruise we will do two carryons and a, not too full, 26" spinner suitcase. I know some folks who brag how they can do a seven or ten day cruise with only a carry on. The problem is that these are the same people that have a hard time lugging cheap tote bags and/or boxes of "stuff" because they had no luggage space to put them.

The most, I believe we have ever taken, have been two 28" inch cases and two carryons. That was in the olden days when you dressed in gowns, tuxedos and suits for dinner. I love the relaxed dress codes.

If we are going to pre or post cruise Europe, Asia or South America we will usually take 2 26" spinners and 2 carryons.

Take care,

Mike

I shake my head at the amount of stuff some people bring. :) Everyone is different- certainly.

I'm cheap on my transportation- I seldom use cabs, unless I have to, I have a much nicer time taking buses/subways/light rails etc. and saving a boatload of money. :) :) :)

I usually travel for 3/4+ weeks at a time, so with just a week cruise- it would be a carry on. I do not have any airline bags charges, but I still, only, have one quality 24" rolling bag and a back pack. I do not unpack, I live out of the suitcase- just fine. I rely on laundry- which is the key to packing light. for occasional sink rinsing, Zote soap is an amazing product.

This system works great for me, and gives me the ultimate freedom of travel, which is my priority.

Edited by Budget Queen

We have been cruising a lot from Baltimore the last few years and since we can drive there we each take a mid-sized suitcase and a carry-on. We take a 12 pack of soda (for some pop) and two bottles of wine.

I shake my head at the amount of stuff some people bring. :) Everyone is different- certainly.

I'm cheap on my transportation- I seldom use cabs, unless I have to, I have a much nicer time taking buses/subways/light rails etc. and saving a boatload of money. :) :) :)

I usually travel for 3/4+ weeks at a time, so with just a week cruise- it would be a carry on. I do not have any airline bags charges, but I still, only, have one quality 24" rolling bag and a back pack. I do not unpack, I live out of the suitcase- just fine. I rely on laundry- which is the key to packing light. for occasional sink rinsing, Zote soap is an amazing product.

This system works great for me, and gives me the ultimate freedom of travel, which is my priority.

As a road warrior, I'm often gone for more than a week but a weeks clothing for me is slightly under the 50lb airline threshold so that's what I pack. Doing Laundry in a hotel is in my top 3 things I dislike about my job. Seems like there's always something, busted machines, the hotel not having change, folks not getting there stuff out of the machines in a timely fashion, folks tossing my stuff when I don't get mine out in a timely fashion. No thanks for me on when I'm on vacation.

Similarly, I seldom unpack and live out of the suitcase when I'm working, but setting up our stuff for a week on a cruise is akin to decorating for the holidays.

Will have to try the zote soap on the road though!

In the past my DH and I each had a 27-28" rolling bag and a back pack for carry on. We do dress up and I do bring full size shampoo and conditioner. This next time I think we will try one 27" rolling bag and a carry on each. Still planning on dressing up. We also just got packing cubes that I really like. After scoping out Carnival on the up coming cruise, we may not dress up to the extent that we do now.

This will be for a 7 day cruise, but we will be in AZ for a week prior.