Question for a first time and last minute cruiser on Breakaway 7/10

mtime21

Hi all,

First time and last minute cruiser on NCL this upcoming weekend 7/10 to Bermuda from NYC on the Breakaway. I apologize if some of these seem obvious, I did my best to search ahead of time :)

1. We have a 22 month old toddler on the trip, I'm assuming we will need to buy milk for him a la carte or via a drink package? Milk is not listed as an included beverage but wasn't sure if this was different for babies.

2. If we want to go with our toddler to a beach on Bermuda, will we need to bring a car seat or are these available for rent somewhere? If we bring one, does this count towards the baggage allowance?

3. I saw the new bottled water policy takes effect 7/15, so for a 7/10 sailing it looks like we just beat the new restriction. Does anyone have experience with this and spoken directly to NCL to confirm?

4. Is there a list of must needs for toddlers aside from diapers, sippy cup, Tylenol, inflatable tub, etc? I looked and seems to be varying posts about what was necessary and not, wanted to get a few thoughts on this if anyone can spare.

5. We did a guarantee inside and were assigned to inside. Is there any chance this can change automatically if inventory frees up over the next few days, or would I have to proactively call to ask?

6. Finally, the price per person dropped for our booking category and I submitted the online price match form this morning. Does anyone have experience on how long these usually take to process, especially when opting for the onboard credit?

Thank you so much in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can get small milk cartons from the buffet. Dining room servers (if you are doing sit down dining) should be able to get milk for you. You could also bring your own shelf stable milk in your suitcase.

Regarding car seats, I don't know. We have been to Bermuda and our kids are still legally supposed to be in car seats in the US, but we just had them wear seatbelts when riding in cabs, although they were a few years older than yours. It might be a real hassle to travel around with a car seat everywhere.

I know we live in the days of extreme caution, but driving in Bermuda is pretty leisurely. There are only a couple of main roads, and they are only one lane in either direction. The biggest danger there are to people riding mopeds. You'd probably be fine just holding the kid in the cab. The ride to Horseshoe Bay, which is the "tourist" beach that everyone from cruises goes to isn't that long anyway.

Children must be potty trained to use the kiddie aqua parks, but you'll probably want to bring swim diapers for the beach - a bucket/shovel to play with at beach, small toys to play with in the room. Appropriate swimwear, hat, sunscreen for the beach.

You may want to bring a cheap umbrella stroller to make things easier on port days, especially if you want to walk around the King's Wharf shops, or go to Hamilton for the street fair night.

Inventory doesn't just miraculously open up a few days prior to sailing as anyone who cancels without insurance doesn't get money back. By booking a guarantee inside, you're guaranteed nothing worse, Can you get an upgrade, possible but not likely as a first time cruiser. You can call the upsell department and see what's available as well. Sometimes they will have a rock-bottom price, but no promotions (beverage package, dining package etc.) when you get this close to sailing to fill cabins. I just did a mock booking - there are still a few balconies and mini suites available. A mini suite gives you a tub shower instead of a stall shower. Search this forum for upsell department and see what they offer, remember it's a negotiation.

Enjoy your cruise!

Traveling with a 22 months and being from the NY area (city ??) - you really don't need to have worry about any luggage allowance ... dock workers on the pier will gladly take your checked bags (typically, we tip $2 per bag) and bring the safety car seat & stroller. Luggage aren't getting weighted and counted by the pieces when checking in - the counter agents have no ideas, you can bring as much as you can handle - this isn't your legacy airline at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal; and, you keep your shoes & belts on while going thru security - it's old style airport x-ray.

You paid for & booked an Inside GTY and that's what NCL assigned you - it's yours, unless you call the Upsell quick & ask about the costs to upgrade to something better ... and prepared to negotiate & counter-offer with your price, to snatch an Oceanview or Balcony, etc. depending on what's available now. Have the deck plan/maps available when you call - so that you know where you are upgrading to - are you prone to motion & do you care if you are all the forward or AFT on the ship at a high deck (be mindful of noises and what's directly above & below you, etc.) Summer sailings are typically full & lots of children traveling, so your odds of getting anything "better" - even with a modest fee/charge paid - would be a win-win, if you prefer the extra space. For 2 adults, the Insides are fine and there's plenty of underbed storage for everything not needed during the day.

The typical standard inside is SMALL, barely room for a folding/space-saving baby crib and room to walk around it. There are pictures posted here on CC and YT videos, check them out if you didn't previously looked. Ask the Room Steward to move the Queen bed to one side of the wall & flush, as that will create more "usable" space to walk around with the small child.

Price-match is only good at the time of booking, and if you did that via a TA and not via NCL, contact the agent & they need to deal with NCL on your behalf ... last minute price drop, as already said, do not qualify.

The small mini-refrigerator has a temperature control, move it to the coldest setting & ask for its mini-bar content to be emptied to take full advantage of storing milk, juice & water, etc.

Bermuda in July can be hot & sunny, and on the humid side, better than the Bahamas and Caribbeans - pack suntan lotion & bring shades for protection, even an oversized umbrella to go with the stroller while walking.

Also bring powdered Pedialyte, in case of tummy troubles. Make sure you overpack diapers since they have limited selection and sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you all so much for the very helpful tips and information!

I confirmed directly with NCL regarding #3 below regarding bottled water that the 7/10 sailing will not be subject to the new policy.

This also might sound really basic, but for the complementary dining rooms are reservations a must? Or will they accept walk ups? Looks like many of the times are already taken/booked given we just bought our tickets yesterday... I'm guessing the reservation system is available thru the app on the ship?

And I searched for "bar setup" and there hasn't really been anything recent on the forum. Paying full price for a UBP for 3 people seems a bit much, so I thought going a la carte with a bottle or two ordered ahead of time might be a better option. Not sure if anyone has recent experience with this before I called NCL back.

Thanks

for the complementary dining rooms are reservations a must?

Definitely not a must. Out of our 7 NCL cruises, we have made a reservation for the complementary dining rooms 1 time ever. Enjoy your cruise!

You don't have to buy milk. If you go to the hot beverage station there is a milk dispenser that you can get it from as well.

As for an upgrade, I was on my first Norwegian cruise in January booked an interior guarantee and got a balcony! It was booked five days before leaving. Three months later was on another Norwegian cruise which was booked three days before departure and also got a balcony upgrade free. So it does happen, even to first timers (it was my 8th or 9th cruise, but firsts with Norwegian)

Inventory doesn't just miraculously open up a few days prior to sailing as anyone who cancels without insurance doesn't get money back. By booking a guarantee inside, you're guaranteed nothing worse, Can you get an upgrade, possible but not likely as a first time cruiser. You can call the upsell department and see what's available as well. Sometimes they will have a rock-bottom price, but no promotions (beverage package, dining package etc.) when you get this close to sailing to fill cabins. I just did a mock booking - there are still a few balconies and mini suites available. A mini suite gives you a tub shower instead of a stall shower. Search this forum for upsell department and see what they offer, remember it's a negotiation.

Enjoy your cruise!

Our spa mini-suite on the BA definitely DID NOT have a tub/shower, just a fancy shower!

On the *Away class ships, the family mini-suites have a combo tub/shower plus the double sink, the ordinary mini-suites & the regular balcony do not - just the shower and no tubs.

On MDR reservations, check again up to this Saturday as within 24 hours of sailing, the online system access to your sailing would be locked up & unavailable - any time slots released for booking will show up at this point. Otherwise, the rest are held for onboard - and, no reservations are needed or available during the sailing ... just show up as walk-in and they will seat you.

It's easier, from our experience, to get into Savor or Taste, the smaller MDRs on deck 6 AFT and lots of tables for seating 2's and 4's. If you do not mind eating early at 5:30 or 6 PM, there's generally good availability and you might get one of the many nicer giant window seats, especially on sea days.

Download the free iConcierge App before you sail on Sunday - as the signal inside the terminal building is poor to bad; and, even from the forward open deck (Waterfront) - our friends with Sprint had trouble getting a good cellular signal for data. If NCL changed the system and allow MDR booking once you are onboard, check the available time & book it ASAP before they are taken - if not, just show up.

Other tips & info on the BA and Bermuda - one of the many reviews/blogs/post that you might find helpful, in case you missed it earlier as you booked last minute (and, got a great bargain)