Seattle Space needle or Sky Observation Tower

grammyprf

Sky View Observatory costs $14.75 for Adults and Seniors 55+ are $9. On their web site opening page you can get a pretty good idea how it related to the Space Needle. SVO/ Space Needle cost varies by time of day with evening running about $28.

Because of how the Columbia Center sits on the hillside and the Space Needle is in the lower Denny Regrade area so the absolute elevation difference at the observation levels is significant - about 400 feet. On the other hand the Space Needle has a full restaurant and the SVO has only a casual cafe - but probably less costly too. There is also a bit more to do around the Seattle Center than in the downtown business core.

My son used to work on the 66th floor of the Columbia Center and said he could see Lake Washington pretty well and I don't recall from the Space Needle being able to see more than a sliver of the lake.

I don't recall from the Space Needle being able to see more than a sliver of the lake.

That's correct. You can see quite a lot of Lake Washington from the Columbia Center.

I will point out, however, that Seattle is a very hilly city, and there are a number of points that offer great views of the city, all at the discount price of $0.

I like Columbia Sky View Observation over the Space Needle. I also like the Smith Tower over the Needle. As Gardyloo mentioned, there are several free areas with incredible views such as Dr. Jose Rizal Park and Kerry Park.

If you make a reservation for the restaurant in the Space Needle, the cost of admission is included. Also you don't have to wait in line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

We were just at the Sky Observation/Columbia Center on July 13th. Views from 73rd floor were pretty impressive, nearly twice the height of the Space Needle (900+ft>478) if I recall correctly.

Didn't notice when purchasing our tickets, just clicked on 2 adults and 1 child; got up there and saw 55+ get a $5 discount.

Which one is better? Is there admission fee for Sky? Thanks

The admission fee for Sky View is only $9 for age 55 plus. An admission ticket allows for 2 separate visits on the day you go. There was no line/no waiting to enter when I visited on July 9th, 2016. When I had passed by the Space Needle a few days earlier lines to enter were outside of the Needle. I also wanted photos of Seattle that specifically included the Space Needle, which is why I went used the observatory at Sky View.

We just came back from our cruise, with 4 days pre-cruise in Seattle. We stayed in a hotel near Seattle Center, which has the Space Needle. We also took the monorail everyday to go down into the city, so passed by S.N. every day at various times. And I will say every time, there were long lines. Or at least, longer than I would want to stand in. We did the Sky View instead, for some of the same reasons others mentioned. It was way cheaper, plus you can go twice in the same day. We went around 5 p.m. and then again at 10 p.m. No lines, maybe 20 people, it was wonderful!