Travel Insurance - Sooner or Later?

Lymami

My husband and I are cruising, for the first time ever, with Princess in February. We are definitely going to get travel insurance, however, I have heard conflicting views on whether to get it early, or if you wait, it's cheaper. Any experience with this? Thanks for any advice.

Prices for insurance don't go down if you wait longer to purchase it. Insurance doesn't go on sale. The only reason to purchase insurance at the time of booking your cruise is if you or anyone in your traveling party has any pre-exsting medical conditions. Even if someone in your immediate family has pre-existing conditions, and they aren't cruising with you, you still need to cover those conditions for your cruise. What I mean by that is, your parent has a medical issue that becomes serious before your cruise. If you have to cancel your cruise because of their problem, and you didn't purchase the insurance covering any pre-existing conditions, then you won't be covered. You can get coverage for pre-existing if you buy the insurance late, but that will cost you more money than if you had purchased it earlier.

Lymami, as far as Princess insurance goes, it has a 60 day prior to purchase exclusion of pre-existing conditions. Meaning anything you had to see a doctor for in the last 60 days is excluded, unless it is an ongoing, stabilized condition. Many 3rd party policies waive the pre-existing conditions exclusion if you purchase the policy with a 14-21 days of making your cruise deposit. Others waive it if you purchase within a few days of final payment.

Once you buy it, its paid for, no refunds if you later cancel the cruise, so some people prefer to wait until final payment. These folks generally do not have ongoing health issues.

Whether to buy early or late depends on your health, family health, and how far away the cruise is. Only you can decide what is best for you. IN GENERAL, people with potential health concerns (themselves or their family) buy it at deposit or after a period of good health coinciding with the exclusion period.

most times they say to get insurance within 14 days of booking so pre-existing conditions are covered. I have been told to check out insuremytrip.com. I just booked with STA Travel. Their rates are priced on how many days you're going to be gone and the prices beat( for me) anything that insuremytrip.com had, and the coverage was about the same also. check all of them out yourself and insure with whomever you feel comfortable with

When I booked my cruise on-line, I was told that I HAD to buy insurance at the same time that I paid for my trip - waiting wasn't an option. It was $45 per person, and though we are both very young and healthy, there's just so much that can happen that you never think of! Plus the insurance covers if a family member gets seriously ill and lots of other stuff, too. We just felt for $90 it's better to be safe than sorry.

-M

Insurance should be purchased, most will cover pre-existing conditions along with default of carrier if purchased within 14-21 days of your initial deposit. You can get it direct from the cruise lines or thier suppiler travelguard. Note that the cruise lines only offer cruise credits if you cancel or interrupt your trip for covered reasons, for this reason I buy direct from the insurance company. Travelex has a 150% interruption coverage.

There is also the case for medical, most places including the ship will not take your health insurance you must pay up front to receive care. Many insurers will not cover you out of the US. Also make sure that your medical is primary else you may end up paying a good amount out of your pocket. Also should you have to be evacuated in a medical emergency the insurance will cover it.

My husband and I are cruising, for the first time ever, with Princess in February. We are definitely going to get travel insurance, however, I have heard conflicting views on whether to get it early, or if you wait, it's cheaper. Any experience with this? Thanks for any advice.

If you have no pre exsisting conditions and are not flying to your cruiseport there is no reason to purchase insurance prior to final payment. Up until that point you can always get your money back.

Archived