Help choosing travel insurance company

Can anyone recommend a good affordable travel insurance company?

I just posted this response on another thread recommending tripinsurancestore.com

I can't say enough good things about them. My DH used tripinsurancestore.com for a non-cruise, independent international trip last year. Due to a health emergency, he had to cancel less than 24 hrs before the trip. When we filed a claim with the insurance provider (trip insurance is more like a referral agency that pre-screens companies), the provider balked because one of our travel vendors refused to provide the right paperwork. (a small agency for independent travelers in Cheshire, England) Even though we had bank money transfer records, emails from the British agency with promises to send the paperwork, etc., the insurance agency was going to refuse payment. After many calls over several days that went nowhere, it occurred to me to call tripinsurancestore.com for help. They resolved my issues within a few hours and we got our full payment. The business owner, Steve, took care of this personally, and sent me a follow up email.

I learned something valuable from this. Having an insurance referral agent like tripsinsurancestore.com is a lifesaver in working out any problems with the insurance company. The insurance company couldn't care less about my individual case, but they wanted to keep a good relationship with tripinsurance store!

If you go to their website, they have a lot of information about what to consider in trip insurance. They also have a tool where you put in your information and you can run a spreadsheet comparing several companies they work with. If you have any questions, just give them a call. They really care about their customers, and they almost always answer the phone right away during business hours.

Believe it or not, I don't have any personal stake in this company. But they really helped me out in what was looking like a very helpless situation!

I just posted this response on another thread recommending tripinsurancestore.com

I can't say enough good things about them. My DH used tripinsurancestore.com for a non-cruise, independent international trip last year. Due to a health emergency, he had to cancel less than 24 hrs before the trip. When we filed a claim with the insurance provider (trip insurance is more like a referral agency that pre-screens companies), the provider balked because one of our travel vendors refused to provide the right paperwork. (a small agency for independent travelers in Cheshire, England) Even though we had bank money transfer records, emails from the British agency with promises to send the paperwork, etc., the insurance agency was going to refuse payment. After many calls over several days that went nowhere, it occurred to me to call tripinsurancestore.com for help. They resolved my issues within a few hours and we got our full payment. The business owner, Steve, took care of this personally, and sent me a follow up email.

I learned something valuable from this. Having an insurance referral agent like tripsinsurancestore.com is a lifesaver in working out any problems with the insurance company. The insurance company couldn't care less about my individual case, but they wanted to keep a good relationship with tripinsurance store!

If you go to their website, they have a lot of information about what to consider in trip insurance. They also have a tool where you put in your information and you can run a spreadsheet comparing several companies they work with. If you have any questions, just give them a call. They really care about their customers, and they almost always answer the phone right away during business hours.

Believe it or not, I don't have any personal stake in this company. But they really helped me out in what was looking like a very helpless situation!

We absolutely agree that http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com is great to help select from some vetted travel insurance companies (more than one type of policy from most insurers).

ams cruiser, I think you have a typo above (I've highlighted it in red).

I think you mean that TripInsuranceStore is a broker, not just a referral service, in that one can purchase the policy directly from them.

But you wrote that "trip insurance" is like a referral agency, when that is the insurance itself.

Sorry - don't mean to pick nits, but there are often people reading here who are just at the start of learning about travel insurance...

But getting back to http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com, we also had Steve help us greatly.

Our first claim was just fine, a couple of years ago.

But last year, we were overseas, and I was very sick and landed in the ER and observation unit overnight, and then could no longer travel for quite a few days.

It was a somewhat unusual situation (I'm not going into detail), and I wrote to Steve almost casually, asking if there *might* be some way to get these costs covered (not the medical; that was taken care of).

He contacted the insurer, and got back to us quickly telling us precisely which part of the coverage would be used in this type of situation, and how to write it up.

We had the claim approved - and we might not even have filed the claim had Steve not inquired for us.

GREAT service!!

We absolutely agree that http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com is great to help select from some vetted travel insurance companies (more than one type of policy from most insurers).

ams cruiser, I think you have a typo above (I've highlighted it in red).

I think you mean that TripInsuranceStore is a broker, not just a referral service, in that one can purchase the policy directly from them.

But you wrote that "trip insurance" is like a referral agency, when that is the insurance itself.

Sorry - don't mean to pick nits, but there are often people reading here who are just at the start of learning about travel insurance...

But getting back to http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com, we also had Steve help us greatly.

Our first claim was just fine, a couple of years ago.

But last year, we were overseas, and I was very sick and landed in the ER and observation unit overnight, and then could no longer travel for quite a few days.

It was a somewhat unusual situation (I'm not going into detail), and I wrote to Steve almost casually, asking if there *might* be some way to get these costs covered (not the medical; that was taken care of).

He contacted the insurer, and got back to us quickly telling us precisely which part of the coverage would be used in this type of situation, and how to write it up.

We had the claim approved - and we might not even have filed the claim had Steve not inquired for us.

GREAT service!!

Thanks for the correction! I am quite unfamiliar with insurance terminology, and broker is the word I was looking for.

Until I worked with Steve, I had no idea that a broker could be so helpful!

Glad things worked out for you as well, GeezerCouple!

Totally agree! We use them for all our travel insurance and they will work with you to get the coverage that best meets your needs.