An Alaskan Adventure on the Sun - Pictorial Review with Menus, Dailies, and Puppies.

shadowmeboy

Thank you so much for your through review of the NCL Sun traveling southbound. It was fabulous to see your pics and read your commentary! So glad you and your wife could have the same cabin that brought you so many wonderful memories of your honeymoon! And VIP status for doing the CC roll call! That is awesome! Good for you guys!

I will be traveling on my first cruise ever in a couple of weeks......Boston to Bermuda on NCL Dawn. So looking forward to it. And already looking to do a cruise tour (12 Day Denali by Rail South Bound in Alaska on the NCL Sun) for next August! So looking at all your pictures was fabulous! You gave such great information that I felt like I was traveling with you! And as others have stated your review was wonderful and positive!! :D

Thank you!

Really enjoyed your review. We are doing the southbound on the Sun next September but still have to plan out the pre-cruise land portion. We booked when the dates just opened up and the tours were not available but I've heard NCL won't let you add the tour on which I have to look into for myself. I've also seen posted in CC that others are booked on the Sun for the cruise and Princess for the land portion.

Thank you for taking the time to share your trip!

Sent from my XT1080 using Forums mobile app

Thank you for your review of your cruise I enjoyed reading every minute of it, my husband and I are going on the Sun in September through the Panama Canal, reading your review has gotten me very excited I can't wait to go.

Great review, Thank you!

Your welcome!

Thank you! The best review I have ever read on CC. Enjoyed reading every minute. We will be on the 14 day Alaska cruise on the Sun next May. You gave me many valuable tips and suggestions.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you and I hope you enjoy your trip. I look forward to seeing your review!

Excellent review! Thank you for taking the time to post all of the wonderful pictures and commentary.

We are taking the 14 day cruise on the Sun from San Francisco to Alaska, ending in Vancouver, BC. We live in Seattle, and are looking into taking the Amtrak Cascades home at the end of the cruise. What time did you catch the train to return to Seattle? We only see a 6:30 am and 5:35 pm route.

Really enjoyed your review. We are doing the southbound on the Sun next September but still have to plan out the pre-cruise land portion. We booked when the dates just opened up and the tours were not available but I've heard NCL won't let you add the tour on which I have to look into for myself. I've also seen posted in CC that others are booked on the Sun for the cruise and Princess for the land portion.

Thank you for taking the time to share your trip!

Sent from my XT1080 using Forums mobile app

That could work for the land portion. We choose not to do a land portion tour, because we didn't want to be tied to a specific timeline and not get to see my sister. We had a blast being on our own. Price it both ways.

Thank you for your review of your cruise I enjoyed reading every minute of it, my husband and I are going on the Sun in September through the Panama Canal, reading your review has gotten me very excited I can't wait to go.

The Panama Canal on a cruise is a bucket list cruise of mine. My wife's schedule is not conducive to when that cruise is offered.

Thank you so much for a wonderful review. The pictures were inspirational

and your attitude on everything was great. I am going to miss you on line!

Where are you going next? If you are so inclined...what do you do when not cruising? I feel like I know you like a friend and I would like a little background. I am guessing sports blogger, photographer.

Happy cruising

6boysnana

Excellent review! Thank you for taking the time to post all of the wonderful pictures and commentary.

We are taking the 14 day cruise on the Sun from San Francisco to Alaska, ending in Vancouver, BC. We live in Seattle, and are looking into taking the Amtrak Cascades home at the end of the cruise. What time did you catch the train to return to Seattle? We only see a 6:30 am and 5:35 pm route.

We always catch the 5:35 train. It is super convenient and gets into Seattle about 10pm. You can store your bags at the cruise terminal like we did and explore Vancouver for a while. Then pick them up and head to the train station, I suggest cab. You clear US Customs at the train station, and then can check your bags to Seattle on the train platform by the train. Amtrak Cascades has a bistro car that is good, so dinner is a breeze. You can also get A&W in the train station as well.

Thank you so much for a wonderful review. The pictures were inspirational

and your attitude on everything was great. I am going to miss you on line!

Where are you going next? If you are so inclined...what do you do when not cruising? I feel like I know you like a friend and I would like a little background. I am guessing sports blogger, photographer.

Happy cruising

6boysnana

Too many people go on Vacation and forget to be on Vacation. I see this first hand all the time since I work at a grocery store in a tourist town here in Washington State. People forget to relax and unwind. When my wife and I are on a cruise we love relaxing and just getting away. We like being unplugged on a cruise ship. I understand that is not for everyone, but I will not get a internet plan. I don't need it, and I don't want it.

On a more personal note, I am a diehard Seahawks fan and a loyal Mariners fan. I do photography as a part time side hobby. As I mentioned several times throughout the review, some of those photos taken were "how did I get that shot" pictures! I did delete a good 1000 pictures which were blurry or where I was trigger happy with camera. My wife sells Scentsy, so I also help her with that.

I try to contribute here on cruise critic as time allows. So I am not going away. Our next cruise currently is a 7 night Western Caribbean on the Norwegian Escape next June. Although there is a short repo on the Pearl that we are planning on doing, but have not booked yet.

I am glad you enjoyed my review!

Enjoyed your report and beautiful pictures - thank you for sharing! Definitely need to put Alaska on my cruise list. I did get a chuckle out of the picture at the Aplets and Cotlets store - about 20 years ago we flew out to Seattle and drove out to Glacier National Park and back through the Canadian Rockies - one of our stops was the Aplet and Cotlet Store - glad to see it's still in business!

Sandy

Enjoyed your report and beautiful pictures - thank you for sharing! Definitely need to put Alaska on my cruise list. I did get a chuckle out of the picture at the Aplets and Cotlets store - about 20 years ago we flew out to Seattle and drove out to Glacier National Park and back through the Canadian Rockies - one of our stops was the Aplet and Cotlet Store - glad to see it's still in business!

Sandy

I laugh at that picture of Susan as well!

You are an absolute kick! Your pictures are wonderful, and I so enjoyed getting to know you and Susan through this thread. You would be such fun people to cruise with.

I enjoyed seeing the Sun again through your eyes. We've done two Alaska cruise on her, as well as two repositioning cruises. She's one of my very favorite ships.

Thank you for taking the time to share with us.

You are an absolute kick! Your pictures are wonderful, and I so enjoyed getting to know you and Susan through this thread. You would be such fun people to cruise with.

I enjoyed seeing the Sun again through your eyes. We've done two Alaska cruise on her, as well as two repositioning cruises. She's one of my very favorite ships.

Thank you for taking the time to share with us.

We keep trying to get our friends to do a 7 nighter with us. Their lose. I am glad we were able to share a little slice of our lives with you all!

I am always keeping an eye out for cruises I can go on on the Sun! Can't wait to sail her again.

Thanks Matthew for an excellent review and great pictures.

I see you and Susan really enjoyed the trip and the VIP treatment ;)

We will be on the Sun Aug 29 same itinerary is yours.

Couple of questions.

- There were some comments about bad smell on the back of the ship. Did you or Susan ever notice something like that ?

- By that chance, did you take a picture of the Viva Vino offer?

What wines are included in each category ?

Thanks Matthew for an excellent review and great pictures.

I see you and Susan really enjoyed the trip and the VIP treatment ;)

We will be on the Sun Aug 29 same itinerary is yours.

Couple of questions.

- There were some comments about bad smell on the back of the ship. Did you or Susan ever notice something like that ?

- By that chance, did you take a picture of the Viva Vino offer?

What wines are included in each category ?

We did not notice any sewage smell in the aft while we were sailing.

I am sorry I did not see the viva vino offer. Contrary to what the pictures show, we really aren't that big of drinkers. Hence why we did not choose the ubp.

Thank you so much for such an awesome review! We are booked northbound Vancouver-Seward June 2017 so loved the pictures of boarding at Canada Place. We have never cruised before so don't know what to expect, how everything is done so your review was very helpful. Both you and your wife seemed to be having so much fun and just seemed so relaxed....felt like I was there on the cruise with you! Thanks again....incredible job!

First let me thank you for a glorious review! I live in Ninilchik Alaska, have sailed 7 times with Princess, Celebrity and NCL and this is my second Alaska cruise but it was over 12 years ago when I sailed the inside passage the first time so I remember the highlights and no low lights but I can't seem to remember logistical details much! ;)

We are scheduled to sail from Vancouver to Seward on August 22nd.. I am bringing a dear friend who has COPD and is on oxygen 24x7 so she cannot walk long distances. We have arranged an electric scooter for her for the cruise but I am wondering if there were taxis at the dock at Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. We really want to make sure we get to the quilt shops in each port as well as local food companies (fudge, jams, jellies, etc...) Specifically, we would want to find a company that has a van that can carry her scooter and drop us off and then we will call to be picked up later to return to the ship. Did you see taxi vans at the docks?

Thanks. Cruise on!