NCL or Carnival?

CozGurl

We want to do a 7 day western Caribbean cruise. NCL has free drinking on basically the same cruise as Carnival. It would save us about $130 to do NCL plus would save us air money since we could drive to New Orleans and not to Miami.

I know nothing about NCL or the ship Norwegian Dawn.

Anyone have an opinion on which would be better?

The Carnival ship is the Splendor. I'm really not that into the ship, it is all about the ports.

I'm concerned about the private island situation. Can we leave NCL's island (Belize or Honduras, can't remember) for our own excursions or do we have to stay there?

One of the reasons we want western Caribbean is because of the snorkeling. We want the freedom to choose our own excursions and not be tied to only ship offerings.

We want to do a 7 day western Caribbean cruise. NCL has free drinking on basically the same cruise as Carnival. It would save us about $130 to do NCL plus would save us air money since we could drive to New Orleans and not to Miami.

Have you factored the service charge for the beverage plan into your cost estimate? The 18% fee is added to your bill even if the drink package itself is a free perk unless you are in the Haven (or are from Europe).

I'm guessing your $130 estimate is just comparing cruise costs so it would be more savings with not paying airfare. Just wanted to be sure you factored that in if that $130 is a key part of your decision, since the service charge is about $100/week per person.

If you have fully priced out the fare on NCL's website or received a quote directly from NCL, the service charge is probably factored in. But if you are just looking at the cabin cost, it probably is not.

Have fun, whichever trip you choose.

Edited by jm485

OP, what are some of the things important to you, besides the port. We haven't cruised on the Dawn since 2005 and once on the Splendor in 2013 - it's a tough call without knowing more specifics.

Staterooms on the Splendor are bigger for comparable categories - you get a full size sofa bed so a third person can sleep in comfort. The decor could be "loud" for some on the Splendor but after day 2, we didn't even noticed it.

Dawn just came out of drydock and looking like new but there are still issues with plumbing, and it is NOT clear whether NCI's private island at Harvest Caye will definitely be ready & open by your sail date (has been delayed) and "some" of the facilities offered are extra and not included. No, you cannot "leave" the Caye and go elsewhere on your own - it doesn't work that way, AFAIK.

As long-time NCL & Platinum members, I am sorry to say that we're impressed with CCL's MDR meals and if you go with CCL, freestyle dining is available too (under it's own name).

With NCL, you don't have to spend more for specialty meals but only limited light breakfast is free if you like late night Room Service delivery @ $7.95 each time. Internet is more expensive with NCL but then again, we use Boingo & Fi Network abroad and rarely need ship's satellite connectivity, only as a matter of emergencies.

Plus & minuses for both lines - compare your total out-of-pocket including travel & lodging costs, parking at the ports, etc. in ranking your choices.

We went on the Dawn out of NOLA this past november. I love the itinerary and the ship was perfectly fine. This was our second NCL cruise and my husband didn't like it. We chose it because of the drink package.

I want to first say that the Dawn is a smaller ship (which I love) and its older. It has recently been through dry dock and all the pics look good.

What my husband didn't like is that fact that not much after dark the ship was quiet. On our previous carnival cruises there were things to do and it was more festive. Band out on the deck and night, stuff like that. NOt on NCL.

I have convinced my husband to try the Sky (open bar, 3 night bahamas cruise) this fall. We are hoping for a more lively, festive atmosphere. If not I doubt I will get him back on a NCL ship again.

NCL is way more upscale than Carnival. I went on one Carnival cruise, and I just can't ever step foot on one of their ships again. My personal opinion!

I didn't factor in the 18% gratuity, but Carnival has that as well. I didn't factor parking because it will still be cheaper than flying to Miami. So I feel confident that we'll save money in the long run and not have to worry with bringing wine or soda on board with us.

I'm mostly worried about being able to leave the cruise ship area at port.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm soooo confused.

We have done 6 Carnival cruises, 1 Royal, and now are booked on the Escape in October

IMO Carnival provides the best value if you are taking the kids or a large family group, fun atmosphere, laid back environment, etc.

However, nothing changes with Carnival for the good. The experience is exactly the same , at least for us, every single cruise.

Same songs, same games, food gets worse, literally nothing changes. So we have decided to try NCL.

Cruises are what you make out of them though. Very hard not to have a good time if you go in with the proper expectations.

Yikes! What are the upfees/charges? I've read quite a bit on Carnival but am just starting my NCL research.

Nothing that they all don't have. If you eat in a specialty restaurant, you have to pay more. They also charge for room service (other than continental breakfast) but it is an extensive menu. Some see it as a big deal, and others see it as adding more choices to their vacation.

Please understand, everyone sees a cruise differently. I can only advise from my experiences. DAMN Dawn in 2014 was okay but the biggest problem I had were the toilets not working or overflowing. Yes they cleaned them up, but it still bothered me, really not sure how clean the floor was. A lot was due to passengers but maintenance and cleaning, not wonderful at all. Embarking and disembarking , problems due to customs in Tampa, but NCL could have notified us to come MUCH earlier. Ahead to after the dry dock in 2016, posters have written about the same problems happening many times, some in the same rooms as before, also with not only the room toilets, but the common area toilets, to the point of closing some of them down. Still, I had reserved the DAMN DAWN for THANKSGIVING IN 2016. This I had done as I heard that the dry dock would be the biggest and most expensive for NCL. I will be looking forward to a great cruise, but will not be too understanding if the toilets issues persist in happening without being fixed.

Agree and I made the mistake twice! For us Carnival is a floating boom box.

Having been on Carnival its seriously not all that bad. I'm not loyal to any line but if the price and itinerary are good count me in :). Don't care what line it is just take me away :rolleyes:

Having been on Carnival its seriously not all that bad. I'm not loyal to any line but if the price and itinerary are good count me in :). Don't care what line it is just take me away :rolleyes:

It probably also depends on the time of year as well. I just didnt enjoy it.

First of all, there is no such thing as a bad cruise. So you should be pleased with whatever one you select. However, I prefer NCL over Carnival because of the “personal” concern. Carnival has a tendency to treat cruisers as nothing more than a business commodity. I have only met one individual in a customer contact position on a Carnival that was actually concerned about the passengers. He was on the Splendor at the time (September 2014).

If you book with NCL, check to see if they are offering their “Free at Sea” options. On our up coming cruise, we selected the Specialty Dinning, thus we will each get three free meals in the specialty restaurants of our choice.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

Edited by raindropsalways

However, I prefer NCL over Carnival because of the “personal” concern. Carnival has a tendency to treat cruisers as nothing more than a business commodity
And how does your perceived evaluation of Carnival differ from the new bottled water policy that NCL has instituted? Gouging consumers for 60 bucks + 18% for 24 one liter bottles of water is exactly the same as your perceived evaluation of Carnival.