Would you book Neets Bay or Traitors Cove for late July?

BayGirl22

I've read most of the posts here on bear watching - very helpful and thanks to the regular posters who share their experience. After all the info I'm still really undecided on which to book, given our timing.

We're headed to Alaska later this month on a last minute booking and decided to do a floatplane/bear watching trip. We'll be in Ketchikan July 25th and have the option of Neet's Bay with Promech or Traitor's Cove with Island Wings (Randy as pilot, not Michelle). Anan would be our first choice but its booked. I realize late July is risky at Traitor's Cove, haven't been able to figure out if its looking like an early year for salmon. Is Neets Bay likely to be better this year?

The tour costs are similar, with Neet's costly slightly more and spending less time at the site. We have 2 kids though (ages 5 and 7), they are patient and outdoorsy but spending too long sitting with no bears is not ideal, so I don't mind a 2 hour stop instead of 3. Are there other factors that should break the tie - like seeing the hatchery, layout of the viewing area, what you see on the flight, etc.? Or is a bear trip in late July to anywhere other than Anan not worth it at all?

Thanks in advance - I just need to pull the trigger either way.

Did you call "every one" about Anan permits??? I suggest you just go right down the vendor list, if you haven't.

As for the choice between Neets and Traitors, I give the edge to Neets, since that area is usually ahead of Traitors, which is more peak in August. Just my preferences, having been to both multiple times.

Unfortunately, your thinking about the hatchery, isn't going to happen. You no longer have access there. They now herd you up and all you can do is go back and forth to a fixed platform. A negative about this tour, which was changed several years ago.

Frankly TIME is the most important factor- the longer you are there, the more opportunity for viewing you have. Essential to be aware and accepting of this.

Yes the flight is "scenic", I'm skewed as it's more transportation to me. But, views out the window usually isn't just clouds. :)

Did you call "every one" about Anan permits??? I suggest you just go right down the vendor list, if you haven't.

As for the choice between Neets and Traitors, I give the edge to Neets, since that area is usually ahead of Traitors, which is more peak in August. Just my preferences, having been to both multiple times.

Unfortunately, your thinking about the hatchery, isn't going to happen. You no longer have access there. They now herd you up and all you can do is go back and forth to a fixed platform. A negative about this tour, which was changed several years ago.

Frankly TIME is the most important factor- the longer you are there, the more opportunity for viewing you have. Essential to be aware and accepting of this.

Yes the flight is "scenic", I'm skewed as it's more transportation to me. But, views out the window usually isn't just clouds. :)

Thanks for the feedback. I've gone through all the floatplane vendors, I just double checked we hit them all. Good to know about the hatchery, I saw mixed information about that, I won't factor that in to the decision.

I'm leaning toward Neets Bay too, for the same reason. Our next option is just to do a Misty Fjords flight, and there are many available. We're paying about $500 more for the potential to see bears, and I realize there's a chance we won't see any, but I'd like to increase the likelihood at least.

I've gone through all the floatplane vendors, I just double checked we hit them all.

Hi. Wondered if you found a list of vendors who have permits to Anan or if you compiled. If you compiled your list, did you go through floatplane vendors on tripadvisor.com who offered Anan flights?

I booked for Traitor's Cove for first week of August. I really would like Anan but I didn't plan ahead and did not really know my options when I tried to book it and was told it wasn't available. I wish it occurred to me then to check other vendors, but it didn't...and when it finally did, I called a couple and was told they were sold out.

How many vendors did you have on your list/called? Thanks!

BudgetQueen, do you also recommend Neets over Traitor's Cove for first week of August? Thanks!

Hi. Wondered if you found a list of vendors who have permits to Anan or if you compiled. If you compiled your list, did you go through floatplane vendors on tripadvisor.com who offered Anan flights?

I booked for Traitor's Cove for first week of August. I really would like Anan but I didn't plan ahead and did not really know my options when I tried to book it and was told it wasn't available. I wish it occurred to me then to check other vendors, but it didn't...and when it finally did, I called a couple and was told they were sold out.

BudgetQueen, do you also recommend Neets over Traitor's Cove for first week of August? Thanks!

There's a list here that has all the companies that can guide or transport to Anan. I believe this is complete, although several are boat trips and not all originate in Ketchikan so check the details. http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3836485.pdf

I'd be less concerned with Traitor's in early August, from what I've read. I think we're a week or two early for that area.

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com Just go through the flight seeing vendor list.

There's a list here that has all the companies that can guide or transport to Anan. I believe this is complete, although several are boat trips and not all originate in Ketchikan so check the details. http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3836485.pdf

I'd be less concerned with Traitor's in early August, from what I've read. I think we're a week or two early for that area.

This is the list of authorized operators as you said. You really don't need a "guided" trip. Several of you walking together along the platform and being observant is enough to be bear aware. Of course, it would depend on your own personal comfort level though whether you would accept an "outfitted" trip with no guide.

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com Just go through the flight seeing vendor list.

This is the list of authorized operators as you said. You really don't need a "guided" trip. Several of you walking together along the platform and being observant is enough to be bear aware. Of course, it would depend on your own personal comfort level though whether you would accept an "outfitted" trip with no guide.

Thank you, all! I emailed all the flight-seeing vendors and they said they don't and some said don't know of anyone who does.

Our day to Traitor's Cove is very early in August; I hope we do see bears there!

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

We did Neets Bay last Monday, July 25th. First of all they did give us a tour of the hatchery. It was cool to see how they track the salmon and learn about the process. Plenty of salmon coming in this time of year, that was not an issue. We waited as long as possible to see a bear and just before we had to leave a big male came out to fish. He was picky and took a while to find a big salmon so we got lots of time to watch him.

Great trip, and really enjoyed the scenery at Neets in general.