New York and cruise - advice please

sotong

I'm not new to cruising as live in Southampton and have cruised in Europe a few times.

However I have an idea for my 2017 holiday and want to combine a few days in New York with some relaxation on a cruise.

Like the idea of one of the mega ships, I.e RCI or Ncl but open to suggestions.

Are we best cruising from NYC to Bahamas or similar or getting an internal flight to Florida and cruising the Carribean?? or something else?

Just 2 of us travelling, me 40 ish mum and 14 year old daughter.

Any suggestions or ideas welcome. Thanks Gillian 😀

I'm not new to cruising as live in Southampton and have cruised in Europe a few times.

However I have an idea for my 2017 holiday and want to combine a few days in New York with some relaxation on a cruise.

Are we best cruising from NYC to Bahamas or similar or getting an internal flight to Florida and cruising the Carribean?? or something else?

Bahamas ports are pretty cheesy - and if sailing in winter or early spring, just not warm enough. RCI NY to Caribbean might be good if you like sea days - otherwise Florida ports offer much more options and probably better fares.

Thanks for quick reply, should of said will be travelling August 2017 unless really good reason to go Easter instead.

We love sea days and often in Europe would stay on the ship when in port.

Gillian.

At Easter you'll have to deal with the spring break crowd, so unless you like lots of kids and heavy partying, August might be better - especially later in August when many US schools have already started.

Another idea if you're not specifically looking for hot weather, is the Canada/New England cruises out of New York. They typically start in late August and run through October. I saw one Aug. 25 on Anthem of the Seas round trip out of Bayonne NJ, a short cab ride from New York City. There are more choices in September and early October - Carnival, Celebrity, Holland America our of either New York or Bayonne.

How long a cruise are you interested in? NYC hotel rates will be as good as you'll ever find them on Labor Day weekend, the first weekend in Sep. You could cruise first to Bermuda on Aug 26, 2017, for 5 days on the Anthem from Cape Liberty.

Edited by 138east

At Easter you'll have to deal with the spring break crowd, so unless you like lots of kids and heavy partying, August might be better - especially later in August when many US schools have already started.

Another idea if you're not specifically looking for hot weather, is the Canada/New England cruises out of New York. They typically start in late August and run through October. I saw one Aug. 25 on Anthem of the Seas round trip out of Bayonne NJ, a short cab ride from New York City. There are more choices in September and early October - Carnival, Celebrity, Holland America our of either New York or Bayonne.

Bayonne New Jersey is doable from NYC but it would be a very expensive cab ride not a short one. Anthem of the Seas is a new ship with activities and programs that your daughter might find appealing. Anthem has two 5 day Bermuda sailings in August 2017 and two 9 day Caribbean sailings as well. The U.S. East Coast departure board is a good source for transportation information for the Bayonne port and the ports in NYC.

Bayonne New Jersey is doable from NYC but it would be a very expensive cab ride not a short one. Anthem of the Seas is a new ship with activities and programs that your daughter might find appealing. Anthem has two 5 day Bermuda sailings in August 2017 and two 9 day Caribbean sailings as well. The U.S. East Coast departure board is a good source for transportation information for the Bayonne port and the ports in NYC.

Yes - come to the East Coast board. There are many pieces to planning this trip. Don't just book a cruise and pay for airfare before you consider hotel and transfer costs as well. Could you do accessible public transit with your luggage? That could save you some significant $$$.

Hello Sotong

NYC is my home port. To the best of my knowledge, the following cruise lines sail out of the NY area-

NCL Breakaway and Getwaway from NYC ,cruising to the Bahamas and Bermuda.

Carnival also leaves NYC, I am not certain of the itineraries.

Princess from Brooklyn to Canada / New England ( autumn months, may begin the end of August).

RCI and Celebrity from Bayonne ,New Jersey to Bermuda ( Spring/ Summer months).

Cruising from Florida,especially Fort Lauderdale or Miami offers you more choices of cruise ships and itineraries .

However ,most of these cruises are scheduled from November through April.

The ships are then repositioned for cruising in Europe during the Summer months.

If I may suggest, you and your daughter may enjoy a holiday visiting NYC in August for a few days, then taking a cruise from either NYC on NCL to Bermuda -very convenient or RCI or Celebrity from Bayonne (would require a car service from NYC ). Bermuda is a lovely country. My husband and I have visited there at least ten times in the past thirty years.

The only thing I would caution you about is that NYC can be quite warm and humid in August.

Many tourists visit at that time and it can be busy and crowded,, . It is a great city !

Wishing you and your daughter a pleasant holiday however you decide to spend it.

The ports of Bayonne, NJ and Manhattan, NY are very close together and easy to board from New York City.

Here are the typical cruises available in August:

Bayonne, NJ:

Anthem of the Seas (Bermuda)

Celebrity Summit (Bermuda)

Port of Manhattan:

NCL Gem (Bahamas)

NCL Breakaway (Bermuda)

Carnival Sunshine (Bahamas and Turks & Caicos) OR (Western Caribbean

The Mega ships here are Anthem and NCL Breakaway. The advantage of a Bermuda cruise is you usually get at least 2 days at sea, then park in Bermuda for several nights - which means you can get off the ship and go out to dinner on Bermuda and then at least 2 days at sea going back. Some people get off the ship in Bermuda and check into a golf resort and play golf.

I would choose Bermuda OVER the Bahamas any day. The Western Caribbean cruise on the Sunshine is also a nice one with good ports, though.

The poster 138 east aka Carol is very informative and helpful. She has posted twice in this thread, I would trust her knowledge and expertise!.

Thanks for quick reply, should of said will be travelling August 2017 unless really good reason to go Easter instead.

We love sea days and often in Europe would stay on the ship when in port.

Gillian.

Easter is a very popular (thus expensive) cruise time - when you may be inundated with college spring-breakers on short itineraries. If you are talking late August, you may get a break with lower fares and less families due to many US schools starting in late August - rather than later as is common in UK.ih