Starlight Ball

GJE2011

Although seasoned cruisers, it is our first cruise with Cunard. We are going on Queen Elizabeth in July. Can someone please advise me if the majority of men wear 'white tie' for the Starlight formal evening or do they just wear their normal tux? Any comments would be appreciated.

Can someone please advise me if the majority of men wear 'white tie' for the Starlight formal evening or do they just wear their normal tux?

White ties are worn with tails. Rarely does anyone wear a "claw hammer suit".

Evening dress is always black tie (not blue, Not red, not spotted, just black).

Stewart

Here's a video of the Starlight Ball on QE made last year:

(I didn't see anyone in the video wearing white tie/tails.)

Bon voyage,

Salacia

Edited to add...another video here:

Edited by Salacia

Not many men wear white tie , but some do. My husband does for the Starlight ball. His white tie tails are lighter in weight than his black DJ suit.

Cunard suggest white for a Starlight Ball so if you have one go for it.

"Starlight Ball

Queen Elizabeth Only

Camera, lights and action for the Golden Age of Hollywood Greats. Step back in time to the days when the movie stars travelled on the Cunard Queens.

Formal Wear

'Pick one of your favourite Hollywood Stars or simply dress for the Red Carpeted Film Premiere’

Gentlemen – ‘White Tie’; top hat & tails, white shirt & white bow tie

Ladies – Long evening gowns, sequined or sparkling accessories, fringed bolero/shawl or faux fur" ...copied from https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/theme_nights

Oh except it's not just on QE...Starlight Ball on QM2 in Nov:eek: <be there or be square :)

I noticed on my last QM2 cruise that most people did not dress 'in theme' for the balls, except for those which were easy. Most people seemed to be attired in formal dinner clothing. Exceptions were the Black and White Ball (easy for colours), the Masquerade Ball (easy for most to throw in a mask) and St Patrick's (just wear green). However, the ballroom was by and large filled with people in their usual formal outfits. There were only a very small number of passengers who looked like they had gone 'all out' on their outfit. I certainly would not be bringing special clothing for a theme ball unless it fitted easily in my luggage.

Edited by Aussieflyer