Grand Princess 10 Day Alaska Cruise Videos

GoProCruiser

The walk you had to take was long (what if it was raining?) and a ramp to deal with as well. I'm glad all of you were hearty and healthy but that did seem a bit of a haul to deal with at a first class international airport. I'm only questioning this because SFO is my home airport and I had never seen anything like this. I thought this sort of thing happened only in small, local airports. I love your positive spirit and looking forward to the rest of your review.

Thanks! It's funny, I was thinking the same thing. I can't remember which terminal we pulled up to but I believe it was the United terminal. The plane we took was the smallest I've ever flown in. I'm 6'1 and my head was probably an inch below the ceiling when standing so thankfully i wasn't taller! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maybe I missed it where on YouTube will I find your video? So excited about our upcoming trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks! If you search "Scott Singer" on YouTube you should be able to find my channel. If not, look up the video, "On Our Way to San Francisco to Board the Grand Princess!" that should lead you to my videos.

Our California home is in Highland, and we took a United Express jet ( 50 seater ) to SFO. We were on the May 31st sailing. 32 mile drive vs. 85 mile drive. At SFO, United has 2 Express Jet gates that board and deplane on the tarmac. These gates service multiple parking spaces. These jets have very limited overhead space. My mom uses a transport chair, and i just went up the ramp to the door and brought her down. Rain, it doesn't rain in San Fran. SFO doesn't have enough gate space for the frequency of express jets that service it. You'd be surprised how many airports and airlines use this type of set-up.Thankfully these 50 seaters are being phased out of the Express inventory.

United Pilot since 91, 6 more yrs then only using the aluminum tube to get to ships.

Aloha, Tim

Very interesting! I love learning stuff like this. Lol. When I flew American Eagle from LAX a couple months ago, the setup was pretty similar where we got on the plane via the Tarmac. Didn't think an airport as big as LAX did that. Lol

I'm hoping the link works for all of you! For some reason, it doesn't directly play on my IPhone. Hoping it's just a me issue. Lol. Let me know if you're having trouble watching it!

Working fine on my Android based phone

A MUST watch! Such a cool perspective sailing under the Golden Gate!

I had to laugh out loud at the 26 second mark when your friend says "The bridge goes all the way across".

I guess if it didn't go all the way, it wouldn't be a bridge:D

Going under the Golden Gate is incredible. I've gone under the GG bridge more times than I can count on fishing trips over the last 30 years. I'm spoiled in that regard. Sadly, there are times I stay in the wheelhouse, or don't even look up, when passing under it. Although my two favorite times to pass under her are when it's early AM twilight and the city lights are still shining bright, and the bridge is half covered in fog, where you can see the lower half, but not the upper towers and cables. The other is after a looong day when we are coming back, and the sun is setting on the ocean, behind the bridge.

I will be passing under her again in August on the Grand Princess. I'm sure I'll be looking at all my favorite fishing spots on sail away (chrissy field, the south tower, yellow bluff, back side of angel island & alcatraz, seal rock, bonita cove, and the list goes on. Now if I could only figure out a way to troll a line off the back (j/k).

Thanks for sharing the videos. Looking forward to more.

Edited by knotgillty

Very nice! We're sailing in a few weeks. Was it very cold? Looks like some people were really bundled up and some in just shorts...

It was very windy! So I definitely recommend bringing a jacket up on deck with you. After we passed the bridge, my sister and dad went back to the room to get jackets-and they're never cold. Lol. It was a beautiful day out-just super windy when we were leaving SF.

I had to laugh out loud at the 26 second mark when your friend says "The bridge goes all the way across".

I guess if it didn't go all the way, it wouldn't be a bridge:D

Going under the Golden Gate is incredible. I've gone under the GG bridge more times than I can count on fishing trips over the last 30 years. I'm spoiled in that regard. Sadly, there are times I stay in the wheelhouse, or don't even look up, when passing under it. Although my two favorite times to pass under her are when it's early AM twilight and the city lights are still shining bright, and the bridge is half covered in fog, where you can see the lower half, but not the upper towers and cables. The other is after a looong day when we are coming back, and the sun is setting on the ocean, behind the bridge.

I will be passing under her again in August on the Grand Princess. I'm sure I'll be looking at all my favorite fishing spots on sail away (chrissy field, the south tower, yellow bluff, back side of angel island & alcatraz, seal rock, bonita cove, and the list goes on. Now if I could only figure out a way to troll a line off the back (j/k).

Lol. That was my father who made that comment...gotta love dad humor! Lol. And that sounds awesome! It was my first time sailing under the Golden Gate and it was spectacular. One of the main reasons we chose this itinerary was to sail under the Golden Gate. Also, it was our fourth Alaskan cruise so we like to try different routes. And thank you! I shot a ton of footage during my cruise, just darn work is getting in the way of me editing them. Lol. And I'm sure no one will notice if you have a line going off the back of the ship! [emoji6] lol

Edited by GoProCruiser

Very nice! We're sailing in a few weeks. Was it very cold? Looks like some people were really bundled up and some in just shorts...
The warmth you experience at the port before sailaway will quickly disappear. Afternoons in the bay are usually windy. Not to mention the whole area is often engulfed in a marine layer, which keeps the temps down. 20 miles inland can be 20+ degrees warmer than SF bay during the summer. You won't need gloves, scarves, or ear muffs on sail away. But it would be smart to wear pants. A lot of people will wear short sleeved shirts, but a long sleeved shirt, flannel, or pull over sweatshirt will keep most people more comfortable for the initial send off. It only takes about 45 minutes to get to the bridge once the ropes come undone at the dock. After that, you'll likely find something else to do besides standing at the rails. Edited by knotgillty

We cruise under the GG Bridge pretty regularly, the last time being this April. Not more than 5 minutes after we crossed beneath the bridge we saw, on the port side, a momma whale and her calf frolicking in the bay waters. It was a real treat to see but at the same time, a great concern for most of us in the bay area for our concern of their safety because SF Bay has a lot of commercial traffic and fear for their safety. As cold as it always is, we know to bundle up and enjoy the ride out until we pass the Pointe Bonita lighthouse on the starboard side and finally, experiencing the "Potato Patch."

Although my two favorite times to pass under her are when it's early AM twilight and the city lights are still shining bright, and the bridge is half covered in fog, where you can see the lower half, but not the upper towers and cables. The other is after a looong day when we are coming back, and the sun is setting on the ocean, behind the bridge.

One of my favorite cruise photos is one I took on our return from Mexico, early morning, approaching the GG bridge. Just enough fog to make everything sort of blurry, with lights on the sides of the passage.

knotgilty, which August cruise are you on? If it's the 19th, come over and meet the roll call. We have a meet and greet scheduled for 11 am Saturday, Aug. 20, at the Club One 5.

OP, thanks for the fascinating videos.

Kathy

One of my favorite cruise photos is one I took on our return from Mexico, early morning, approaching the GG bridge. Just enough fog to make everything sort of blurry, with lights on the sides of the passage.

knotgilty, which August cruise are you on? If it's the 19th, come over and meet the roll call. We have a meet and greet scheduled for 11 am Saturday, Aug. 20, at the Club One 5.

OP, thanks for the fascinating videos.

Kathy

No problem! Sounds like a great picture! Have a wonderful time on your Alaskan cruise!

Thanks for taking the time to record your experiences. Makes the waiting for cruising much more interesting.

I always cringe at the arrogance of some posters and know it discourages some from posting, but hope you and future cruisers know that others appreciate unique opinions etc. Its fun to hear all peoples perspectives.

Thanks for taking the time to record your experiences. Makes the waiting for cruising much more interesting.

I always cringe at the arrogance of some posters and know it discourages some from posting, but hope you and future cruisers know that others appreciate unique opinions etc. Its fun to hear all peoples perspectives.

Thank you so much! I'm hoping to knock out a ton of videos today! The editing and posting just takes forever though. Lol

Kathy

Kathy, I'm on the 8/29 cruise. I'll be boarding the same day you disembark.