Weight restrictions?

CruiserN1

Weight restrictions ARE for a reason. Safety!! If you book and they don't allow you to participate they will not refund your money. They post these restrictions in advance so that you are fully made aware. I hate to be a Debbie Downer but avoid disappointment and book other things.

As far as planes and helicopters go, they DO weigh you. If you book in advance and you or one of your party if over the weight restriction, they can go as long as you pay more as they will have to take less people as weight is important to flight operation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Being very tall, a 250 weight restriction is borderline for me. On a cruise a few years ago, we did two excursions with weight restrictions. One was a helicopter tour where, understandably, I had to pay a surcharge. Cool, no issue. The other was ziplining. I made a phone call to the company and was told that the restriction was due to sizing of the safety harness and as long as it would fit, all good. The issue isn't necessarily weight, but proportion. 6'5" at 260 is less of an issue as 5'5" and 250.

So, I'd try to call the actual tour provider, if possible, to discuss and confirm.

My friend's husband wants to do the Catamaran tour, so glad you posted this. He is 6 ft, but probably only around 200, and I am lower, however, my friend is severely overweight, my husband is definitely over 250 as well, and my brother-in-law could be a good amount over 250 also, his significant other is very short, so I can't really tell, but wouldn't be surprised if she was 250 or more. Would we all be thinking that they would say no when they saw our group?

I think they would take you as a smaller group and charge those over the weight restriction double. But that's just a guess. I suspect that's the "accommodation" spoken about in the response above.

They also mention weight restrictions for any horse riding excursions. I would not want anyone trying to just squeeze under that restriction.

They have a weight restriction on one of the Mayan ruin excursions. Can someone come up with a reason for that one???

I too was baffled when looking to plan a cruise to Bermuda last year, even excursions to go shopping had weight limits. Did some research and it turns out that the restrictions were due to the small buses they use to transport people. That might apply here as well?

Two years ago we booked a bicycle tour in Key West with a 250 lb. weight limit. Compliance with the restriction was on the honor system but you did have to sign a waiver.

This wasn't an issue for my husband and I but there were people who participated that clearly were over the limit. I agree with all of the other posters who commented on safety being the rationale for these types of limits - our group had no issues that day but I would rather change my plans ahead of time than have a bicycle break down mid-day on the road because the person was too heavy for the equipment, impacting the entire group. An equipment failure due to excess weight would be really embarrassing for the person involved and could be dangerous if an accident happened (not to mention frustrating to everyone on the excursion who followed the guidelines).