TrentS, How bad is the damage to hotels

The Cruisers

I've only explored my immediate neighborhood on foot so far, but I'll probably get out a bit more today. I know there is damage to some of the beach hotels, but haven't heard of any damage to those on SE 17th Street. I'll get back to you after I get out and see for myself though.

The Sun-Sentinel web site has a photo album of damage from Hurricane Wilma; some hotels are included. The Embassy Suites on SE 17th had a leak from the ceiling, no power, and was closed down.

I bet that hotels will do their best to get up and running as quickly as possible. Right now, I doubt they are able to provide clear assessments of when that will be. In the case of the Wyndham, you might have some luck trying the national number to get information. For those of you who have another week and a half, it may make sense to sit tight and keep trying the phones for at least a couple of days.

As for TrentS, I'm not sure that being geographically close to these hotels gives him any advantage over the rest of us for judging their survival! It's tough enough to drive to get necessities, with flooding and trees in the streets, much less to see if hotels five miles away will be open in two weeks.

Yes, I saw that about the Embassy Suites being damaged and closed too, but I haven't had time to check anything out yet. It's not easy to get around here. There's still no power in most of South Florida, the traffic lights are all out (completely missing in some cases) and there are a lot of trees down.

All I can tell you to do if you're coming in the next few weeks is to try calling, but if they are damaged I doubt they even know when they'll be open again at this point. I know they'll be back up and running as soon as possible, but it's going to take some time. I can't even get over to the beach yet, I have no idea how those hotels fared except for Bahia Mar as one of the local TV stations had a reporter there and she said that many of the windows blew out.

It is so nice of you to be checking in here and answering questions about hotels when all around you is in shambles. I hope your home came through with no damage and just based on the fact that you are able to be here answering questions I am sure we can assume that you and your family are alright. Thank you once again and be assured that you are in our thoughts. Hopefully Florida and all it's residents will be back on their feet again very soon. The best of luck to you and we appreciate your thoughtfulness in answering all of our questions about hotel damage when I am sure you have more important things on your mind there.

TrentS, I so agree with Chopper825. You have been a peach in answering all our questions OVER and OVER again.:confused: We are glad to hear that you and yours are alright. Hope you haven't had too much damage to your property. Take care and hope all your neighbors are going to be alright too.

Trent,

Do you know if cabs are operating? We are assuming we will be able to fly in this Friday (might not have a room at the Amerisuites) and we assume our ship will leave as scheduled this Saturday. However, we were wondering if there was going to be a problem with transportation from the airport to port.

Thanks for any help.

CL

Thanks everyone... I'm okay, my family/friends, and my building all came through fine. I live in a new condo downtown and we have power, but most of the area still doesn't. I feel like I'm living on an island, there's nothing but darkness for miles.

Yes circee I've seen some cabs operating, but do check with AmeriSuites, your airline, and your cruise line. Currently FLL and Port Everglades are both closed and there aren't many places in the area with power or water. I don't know what AmeriSuites status currently is.

Here's what was posted on the Hyatt Regency site:

Important Hurricane Wilma Update

The Hyatt Regency Miami is open and has power but will not be accepting reservations or arrivals until Wednesday, October 26. Cancellation penalties have been waived through Friday, 10/27.

Yes, in downtown Miami the Hyatt Regency and Intercontinental are both open. The JW Marriott had several windows blown out. I'm not sure of the status of the other downtown Miami hotels, but downtown Miami does have power and water.

Thanks everyone... I'm okay, my family/friends, and my building all came through fine. I live in a new condo downtown and we have power, but most of the area still doesn't. I feel like I'm living on an island, there's nothing but darkness for miles.

Yes circee I've seen some cabs operating, but do check with AmeriSuites, your airline, and your cruise line. Currently FLL and Port Everglades are both closed and there aren't many places in the area with power or water. I don't know what AmeriSuites status currently is.

Trent:

Good to hear that you, your family/friends and your home came through this storm OK. You have always been so helpful with all the info that you provide on the FLL area, even in this difficult time.

Many thanks.

Enzo

Thanks for answering our questions TrentS and any others in the South Florida area. We are glad to hear that you, your family and your condo came through ok. I hope that some of us don't sound petty for asking these question in spite of the fact of the damage that Wilma has done. Believe us when say that our thoughts and prayers are with those of you in South Florida who were affected by this hurricane. We live in Arkansas and even though our state was not directly affected by hurricanes Katrina and Rita, our state has help and housed many evacuees from the area and continues to do so. May God continue to bless each and every one of you in South Florida.

TrentS - It must be surreal for you. I am glad you and your family managed to say safe. My mom's in Melbourne and she was telling me how hit Fort Lauderdale was. The worst since 1950 I think she said.

One good thing, it gave folks a chance to let you know how appreciative they are for all your help. I'm fairly new to these boards but one thing I've noticed is the way different posters reply to requests for information.

You have always been patient and helpful and never make the newbie feel dumb. You give honest feedback and do not have an agenda. You provide a valuable service and have made countless people's vacation more enjoyable.

Once again, glad you are safe and hope your area recovers quickly.

TrentS - Thanks so much for noting that some cabs are moving. Because little information is coming out of the area we really appreciate your on the scene observations. We're glad your safe and sound and hope the rest of Ft. Lauderdale comes back to life soon.

CL

Trent, I work for FirstEnergy in Akron, Ohio. We have 25 line crews and 43 damage assessors helping you Floridians out. We have had many employees in FLorida this summer. With them working 7 16 hour days per week, I will feel guilty when we arrive in FLL for our cruise in February. After a drink at a local establishment, I will swing into full vacation mode, however.

Thanks everyone, I really do appreciate your concern. Things are getting better every day as more and more areas get their power back. Our water is now at full pressure. The mayor said that water service should be fully restored by tonight in all of Broward County.

There are very very long lines for the free government water & ice, as well as long lines at gas stations. There are some restaurants open and doing an incredible business. Several Walgreens, CVS, Publix and Winn-Dixie stores have opened.

The clean-up is well underway, and I think we'll be back to normal quite soon.

tutak - Please thank your colleagues for their help. We really do appreciate it down here! I've seen convoys of utility trucks from all over the Eastern US and Canada and we love every one of them! Without their help it would take a lot longer for us to get back to normal.

Just a quick update regarding the SE 17th Street hotels...

Holiday Inn Express, AmeriSuites, Renaissance, all have no visible damage but are closed until they get power and water. They have signs that say "No Power, No Water, Closed until further notice".

Extended Stay America has no visible damage, and appears to still have guests in it. No power though.

Embassy Suites is closed due to water damage. It appears as if the glass roof over the atrium lost some of it's glass. There are several Servicemaster trucks there.

Hyatt Pier 66 & Marina Marriott have no damage, but are not open until they have power.

I can't get to the beach as it's not yet opened to non-residents.

There is a web site FLP for Florida Light and Power

http://www.fpl.com/storm/contents/index.shtml

to check when power will be restored. When I filled in the Zip and phone number for the Comfort Inn at 2520 Stirling Rd

....power by NOV 15!!!!

Oh Oh... my flight arrives midnight Nov 5th for our Nov 6 cruise.

Archived