Pre - Cruise. Rome proper or Civitavecchia?

dbeckett

We like to fly a day early and wonder if going straight to Civitavecchia is better than staying in Rome. If we stay in Rome we'll probably take a ship transfer otherwise how easy is it to get to Civitavecchia? BTW we don't speak Italian.

Thanks

Rome without a doubt. I would also consider arranging your own transfer too. It is a little over 1hr to the port by car. For a 1st visit and with luggage I would not suggest the train even though that is great value.

You will be OK without knowing Italian. Just a few words can go very far though...5 minutes online is all you need.

Rome without a doubt. I would also consider arranging your own transfer too. It is a little over 1hr to the port by car. For a 1st visit and with luggage I would not suggest the train even though that is great value.

You will be OK without knowing Italian. Just a few words can go very far though...5 minutes online is all you need.

Agree.

Stay in Rome to wander around the evening before your cruise. Jetlag or not, it is a fabulous city.

Well we chose to stay in Civi for not one but two nights before our cruise. But we have been to Rome several times and on this trip had had two weeks touring in Italy.

We actually really enjoyed Civitavecchia because it is a sleepy port town.

Well we chose to stay in Civi for not one but two nights before our cruise. But we have been to Rome several times and on this trip had had two weeks touring in Italy.

We actually really enjoyed Civitavecchia because it is a sleepy port town.

I don't think the op has been to Italy or Rome before so what works for you is great and I too happen to love the small towns in Italy....

But that would not be my suggestion for this op

If you reread post #1 you will see they are very new to Italy

Edited by luvtheships

We like to fly a day early and wonder if going straight to Civitavecchia is better than staying in Rome. If we stay in Rome we'll probably take a ship transfer otherwise how easy is it to get to Civitavecchia? BTW we don't speak Italian.

Thanks

Would the ship transfer pick you up at your Rome hotel? Are you planning on staying at a hotel that the ship books for you?

Seriously just have a company like Rome cabs meet you at the airport and drive you to a hotel of your choice....but do not stay near termini station area(too sketchy) or the colesieum area (too far) stay in the historic district for the 1 night. Pantheon/Spanish steps area is good

Enjoy your time there. Walk around. Eat at a sidewalk restaurant. (But not one that actually has a menu with pix of the food that you can point to) lol

Get gelato

The next day just leave your bags with the hotel concierge and enjoy Rome some more. Start early

Then back to the hotel grab the bags and have Rome cabs or the like meet you and drive you to the port

No need to be at the port excessive hours early ...or miss out on more Rome time....or take ships transfers.

Our cruise from civi sailed at 7 pm. We had Rome cabs get us there by 3 so we enjoyed Rome that day too.

Our Venice cruise sailed at 2am. We enjoyed Venice until 7 pm then made our way to the ship