Epic/Europe Terror Threat -- are you worried?

mal&jason

I found the comments about the U.S. interesting as well. But, then, Oregon is a bit of Nirvana anyway. :D

It's quite easy to see why people are wary about visiting the US, and the same for Turkey/France. We are being bombarded in print, television and online with the threats and events on what appears a rolling basis.

We do not hear about the distances between these locations (just like Americans see Europe as a whole, Europeans also do the same with the US) or the actual frequency. It's rather like people feeling unsafe on a plane because an accident is reported, whilst a car journey is far more unsafe but very rarely reported on due it is frequency.

It's quite easy to see why people are wary about visiting the US, and the same for Turkey/France. We are being bombarded in print, television and online with the threats and events on what appears a rolling basis.

We do not hear about the distances between these locations (just like Americans see Europe as a whole, Europeans also do the same with the US) or the actual frequency. It's rather like people feeling unsafe on a plane because an accident is reported, whilst a car journey is far more unsafe but very rarely reported on due it is frequency.

If you visit the USA, just don't wear a police officer's uniform.

In years gone by we travelled for many years to Eastern countries - Marrakech, Turkey, Egypt, Kenya - and we are glad we did - made precious memories and are truly thankful we got to see and do so much.

Now however - my money stays with the Western world - I wont give in to terrorism, and am proud that here in Glasgow - one humble baggage handler tackled a terrorist hands on - and if you have never read the story then google John Smeaton Glasgow Airport - our national hero.

My money stays now with a civilsation who wont harm me - and I will support Europe and the USA - and our home territories.

Sod them - giving in means they win!

Oh and incidentally - we were IN a terrorist attack in the Hiltons in Egypt - so very sad - beautiful red sea - and now the hotels are closing down - awful state of affairs!

Edited by Blondie008

I live just south of Cleveland & would much rather be on a plane to France than have to go anywhere near the city this week. Ohio is an open carry state & both the New Black Panthers & Bikers for Trump will be demonstrating & carrying. What could go wrong:eek:

Seriously, I understand that being in a strange place brings a certain level of anxiety, but there is no guarantee of safety anywhere. Most people would think a trip to Orlando would be safe. Not so, as we've seen lately. Heck, in southern Ohio farm country, 8 members of one family were shot & killed in their own homes a few months ago.

I wouldn't go to Turkey right now. Civil unrest like that is a whole different scenario, but to cross off Europe, especially if you've already made plans? Just ask yourself, where would you be safer?

I totally agree. When I said it was interesting I wasn't saying it surprised me. We live in the U.S. so we just see things differently. When there are reports of unrest, like over the weekend with police shootings in the South, I can understand how someone who isn't from here would be worried. It's hard to imagine how huge the U.S. is if you don't live here or haven't traveled extensively here. There's no state or city I wouldn't travel to in the U.S. That changes of course depending upon what's happening (I wouldn't go to Baton Rouge or Dallas right now). As an American, I absolutely don't see Europe as a whole. But, I'm better-traveled than most and have been in many European countries, seeing them as individual countries. Earlier this year I was in Europe; I had planned to spend a couple days in Paris but my children asked me not to for their peace of mind. I didn't feel the least bit unsafe visiting Barcelona.

We've been in Europe yearly for a long time. I flew in the US just a few days after 9/11. We know what the odds are here and abroad. Problem we have traveling in Europe right now are the rapid changes western Europe...and Turkey....are undergoing and will be undergoing for awhile. Our decision is to wait till it all settles down a bit so that we can go and just relax. That does not make the terrorists "win" and I really dislike that phrase and the way it is used to make people feel guilty if they are not comfortable traveling. British Isles, Norway, some Baltic countries....if we go in the next few years, those will be our choices. While we respect everyone's comfort level and choices, don't disrespect ours. By the way, we would not be comfortable visiting Chicago these days either and not because of terrorism!

In years gone by we travelled for many years to Eastern countries - Marrakech, Turkey, Egypt, Kenya - and we are glad we did - made precious memories and are truly thankful we got to see and do so much.

Now however - my money stays with the Western world - I wont give in to terrorism, and am proud that here in Glasgow - one humble baggage handler tackled a terrorist hands on - and if you have never read the story then google John Smeaton Glasgow Airport - our national hero.

My money stays now with a civilsation who wont harm me - and I will support Europe and the USA - and our home territories.

Oh and incidentally - we were IN a terrorist attack in the Hiltons in Egypt - so very sad - beautiful red sea - and now the hotels are closing down - awful state of affairs!

You said it perfectly when you said your money stays with a civilization that won't harm me!!

For the posters who will now lament about the tourist industries in those countries....it really is a shame but their governments are the cause not the tourists leaving.

Tourists absolutely cannot be expected to put themselves in harms way and tourists cannot be forced to travel anywhere there are unstable governments. Period

If you want to go there...then go....but please the rest of us do not need to do anything to make a point

I like that attitude. Makes me proud of my Scots ancestors.