Should MSC pull it’s French ports from itineraries?

Beamafar

Marseille has a large Muslim population, mostly foreign nationals. There are neighborhoods in Marseille that the police won't go to. As for Nice, the French police allowed a truck to drive down a busy street with only pedestrians and was closed to traffic- without doing due diligence on the driver and his cargo. This is a security breach that will have some heads rolling.

Still, IMO, I would feel safer on an itinerary that skipped France, Turkey, Tunisia and the ME. I also wouldn't take a cruise that goes around the Gulf of Aden either. I still travel, but I also wouldn't put myself or my DD in a destination prone to problems by these zealot jihadis.

I know that wasn't PC.:rolleyes:

Edited by Love2Cruz2015

Bea ... The army have taken over bridges in Ankara and Istanbul, the Atatürk airport is closed to all flights.

Love2cruise ... We sailed on Orchestra from Venice to Dubai with no issues other than not being allowed outside on the lower decks for a few days.

Bea ... The army have taken over bridges in Ankara and Istanbul, the Atatürk airport is closed to all flights.

It's looking very dodgy, now. I was just updating when you posted! Watching Sky News now - shooting at one of the bridges so they've stopped broadcasting images from that area.

This has been simmering for some time now ...................

Edited by Beamafar

Not looking good at the minute, friends are over in Fetiye on holiday so hope that end is OK, glad we got to go a few years ago to Istanbul. Good job it was last year that Kerry's son got married there!

Hope your friends will be OK, Dave and that the only difficulties they'll have is getting flights home. These things are usually most dangerous in the cities so as long as they're outside of the danger zones they may be fine.

In the aftermath of the horrendous events in Nice yesterday, should MSC ships stop visiting ports in France? After all, there were more people killed by terrorist attacks in France in the last year than in Turkey or Tunisia and visits to these countries have been cancelled.

Whether they should is one question, whether they will is quite another and, while I’m unsure of how I’d answer the former, I reckon the answer to the latter is: Probably not. The reasons I’ll leave to others to consider and opine on.

I'm booked to depart from Marseille next year and I am a bit apprehensive. I think i will call my T.A and change. So sad.

I'm booked to depart from Marseille next year and I am a bit apprehensive. I think i will call my T.A and change. So sad.

I wouldn't be too hasty in making any decisions - a year's a long way away. I'd wait 'til nearer final payment day before weighing up the situation to see whether there's an escalation in attacks. At the moment, they're random and sporadic.

I'm not planning on going to the US any time soon... gun crime, crazy christians holding banners saying god hates fags etc... sooner be in the south of France

I agree, you should stay out of the states if it makes you feel safer..............but it does not look as though any guns are needed if mass murders are intended.

It's sad but these incidents do affect us whether we want them to or not. We are headed for Disney World today and before the incident in Nice happened, I decided we were going to pick a nice Disney resort and just use the resort facilities, pool spa restaurants etc...and also check out the neighboring resorts instead of doing the parks. I decided this for weather reasons and it's TOO HOT in July to walk around the parks, waiting on lines for rides. Then this incident happened, and I have to say, I'm glad we're doing it this way as I don't want to be anywhere near crowds.

I never really let terrorists incidents bother me by affecting my travel plans, but this last one in Nice really has me thinking more cautiously. It's just so horrible in the manner that those people died and children as well just out enjoying a family holiday.:(

So after careful thought, regarding the question in this thread...my answer is still YES...cruise itineraries should skip areas targeted by these jihadists...there are other destinations.

Radical Islam WILL target anywhere at anytime with what ever means necessary to cause maximum deaths & casualties. The world is no longer safe as you think.

I'm cruising next year in the Med and will not let this change my plans at all, I will choose carefully what and where I go while in port but I will not let these radicals spoil what I work hard for.

Edited by stealthy

Radical Islam WILL target anywhere at anytime with what ever means necessary to cause maximum deaths & casualties. The world is no longer safe as you think.

I'm cruising next year in the Med and will not let this change my plans at all, I will choose carefully what and where I go while in port but I will not let these radicals spoil what I work hard for.

That's my view too.

If we stopped going to any country because there had been a terrorist incident in the last or there might be one in the future, not sure where would be left to go to?

Cape Verde perhaps or I guess the Westerm Isles would be low risk but then the ferry could sink getting there or your car could be washed off the causeway.

Syria, Itan and Itaq are not on my travel list and it will probably be a while before I return to Turkey or Tunisia but my travel plans continue as per usual.

Was in London a couple of weeks ago and came out the office ready to walk back to Liverpool St Stn to get out to the airport, only to find London Wall closed and cordoned off. Suspect package left somewhere near by. Turned out to be nothing more than a box of haribos! Still made me think. All the locals were strolling about, detouring around the cordon, drinking their coffee, chatting and enjoying the sunny day. There was I trying to work out what detour to take to get to the station but also going through my mind was, how do they know this is the right distance to have cordoned off. If it's a suspect bomb, then how do they know how powerful it is, how far the damage would radiate. Then I gave myself a proverbial kick up the butt and got going!