Norwegian Breakaway Internet

mimi598

Hi everyone,

This is our first time sailing on Norwegian...heading to Bermuda in 2 days. With Disney Cruise, I was able to purchase internet for the entire cabin and we were all able to use it...does anyone know how it works with Norwegian? Do we all need to purchase a plan in order to be online?

Also, I'm only planning to check email occasionally but I'd like to continue receiving text messages...how much date should I purchase? Does Breakaway show usage so I know how much I've used? I called Norwegian and she wasn't sure about any of this (go figure).

My kids like watching youtube videos (although that may not be an option on this cruise!) but if I did purchase extra mb, would youtube work? Thanks so much in advance!

Michele

First, internet plans - by the MB data used is currently offered only on the BA. Speed is usable, IMO, and I had it well documented in our last review (May 2016) as it was our 3rd BA cruise, Bermuda being the destination.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2358922

The plan can be shared by anyone you authorized, with the user-created ID and password - one device at a time. You need to log-off from device A to use device B, and so forth. Usage meter will display upon sign-in and sign-out, on both mobile devices, personal PC/netbook and free terminals @ the internet cafe on deck 6 Fwd.

The most recently posted broadband pricing is on the NCL site - it's known to be not always current & updated, but it looked like what we had (there are screenshots I took - in the review ... happy reading to plan ahead)

https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/internet-packages.

We had 2 staterooms and used a total of about 1.5GB worth of data but it was not the unlimited plan, it's roughly the equivalent of 1,500 minutes if measured by time - as there was a "heavy" dose of graphics being uploaded. With planned usage & device optimization, you could get by the week with the 250 minutes ("free" plan) or 300 MB data for purchased.

Ship's satellite internet is not designed for video & high bandwidth streaming like Youtube or Netflix and configured to block such attempt. A faster system upgrade known as SpeedNet as announced by NCL for July 2016 rollout has NOT been confirmed yet by any users - good luck & you might be surprised, BA's connectivity is already the fastest within the fleet - but, still slow compared to RCI's and that of CCL, with the social media option over there. One of our nieces used it on the AOS and we did FT video, excellent & impressed - not a choice (yet ??) with NCL.

While you arrived in Bermuda/docked at Heritage Wharf, you can consider purchasing the 3 day island-wide, paid WiFi plan for $15, unlimited usage (no metering/throttling) for use at faster speed, comparable to DSL - as long as you are within range of one of the hotspot ... about 40 nodes on the islands. That will help you stay frugal - as you will not necessary be connected to ship's WiFi at all times.

Depending on your home carrier (VZW, AT&T, T-Mobile or Sprint, etc.) and plan options - you might or might not have voice and/or data coverage - it's best to speak to them on 611 directly from your devices, bundles & package offering are changing all the time ... same for incoming/outgoing text message, and you can do that by turning off roaming cellular data (except for iMessages)

We used Google Fi Network on the islands, so voice calls being cheap at 20 cents a minute and data at $10 per 1,000 MB or 1GB are very inexpensive - used about 200 MB only. Fi Network just upgraded the international roaming partner network data coverage to be 10X to 20X faster at no extra charge, effective immediately earlier this week - for 135+ countries worldwide - very pleased with that availability. Details in our post #150 and #151, etc. referenced above.

Questions ?

• 2 years later...
On 7/15/2016 at 8:47 AM, mimi598 said:

Hi everyone,

This is our first time sailing on Norwegian...heading to Bermuda in 2 days. With Disney Cruise, I was able to purchase internet for the entire cabin and we were all able to use it...does anyone know how it works with Norwegian? Do we all need to purchase a plan in order to be online?

Also, I'm only planning to check email occasionally but I'd like to continue receiving text messages...how much date should I purchase? Does Breakaway show usage so I know how much I've used? I called Norwegian and she wasn't sure about any of this (go figure).

My kids like watching youtube videos (although that may not be an option on this cruise!) but if I did purchase extra mb, would youtube work? Thanks so much in advance!

Michele

The basic package is fine for email. Log in, pick up email, reply or log off and compose replies, then log back on and send.

If you want to be able to continuously send and receive text messaging, though, you'll need to purchase the unlimited Internet package. There was a period of time where iPhone users were able to use their messaging app without purchasing internet minutes, but that loophole has generally been closed across the NCL fleet. 

When we cruise, we get the unlimited package and use Facebook messaging. It works very well. The social media package is designed for those like your kids who want to stream video. 

Whatever you do, make absolutely sure all phones have their cellular data service turned OFF. The easiest way to do this is to first put the phone in airplane mode, then turn on JUST the "Wifi" portion of the phone. If you don't do this, some of your phones may use the very expensive "Cellular at Sea" service to connect for data.