New to Holland America

Anubi

We have cruised other lines but not HAL yet.

I was looking for a Baltics cruise and found an awesome April 29, 2017 Baltics cruise out of Rotterdam on the Rotterdam. If we were going in 2017 I would have booked it immediately but we aren't going until 2018 so I am very much hoping that this itinerary will be offered again in 2018.

My concern is that there is no roll call for that cruise yet which might indicate a lack of interest. Since I'm new to the HAL boards and they seem a bit less busy, perhaps I'm over-reacting? :confused::confused::confused:

I'm not sure that I understand your concern. AFAIK, roll calls are started and joined by CC members who have already booked a specific cruise. If the cruise you are interested in isn't yet available for booking, I'm not surprised that you can't find a roll call.

I was looking for a Baltics cruise and found an awesome April 29, 2017 Baltics cruise out of Rotterdam on the Rotterdam. If we were going in 2017 I would have booked it immediately but we aren't going until 2018 so I am very much hoping that this itinerary will be offered again in 2018.

My concern is that there is no roll call for that cruise yet which might indicate a lack of interest. Since I'm new to the HAL boards and they seem a bit less busy, perhaps I'm over-reacting? :confused::confused:

I would say yes, you are over-reacting. As Fourmenco said, if the cruise isn't available yet, there isn't going to be a roll call ;)

Roll call participation varies but our Baltic cruise was quite active :)

Once the itinerary is available and you book it, just go to the roll call. If there isn't one, then start it. Someone has to start the roll calls ;) don't sit on the side lines waiting for someone else to start. That happens all too often, I think ;)

Maybe the OP is looking for a roll call for April 29, 2017 on the Rotterdam?

It's still quite a ways off. Roll Call soften don't get much attention until closer to final payment, maybe further out for long cruises, Grand Cruises etc.

OP: Keep checking, and be sure to check for those who will be taking it from the earlier date going out on the leg out of Barcelona to Rotterdam. It looks like it's being sold as various combinations of legs. m--

Maybe the OP is looking for a roll call for April 29, 2017 on the Rotterdam?

It's still quite a ways off. Roll Call soften don't get much attention until closer to final payment, maybe further out for long cruises, Grand Cruises etc.

OP: Keep checking, and be sure to check for those who will be taking it from the earlier date going out on the leg out of Barcelona to Rotterdam. It looks like it's being sold as various combinations of legs. m--

Lots of legs for sure. There is a roll call right now for the 30 day March 30th sailing in 2017 which includes the Barcelona to Rotterdam segment but it does end on April 29th.

My concern is that there is no roll call for that cruise yet which might indicate a lack of interest. Since I'm new to the HAL boards and they seem a bit less busy, perhaps I'm over-reacting? :confused::confused::confused:

We did the 2016 April crossing & Baltic. This was our first HAL cruise in over 30 years. I was surprised at the low activity of the HAL forum compared to the other lines we have cruised until I realized it is comprised mostly of "travelers" rather than "vacationers".....at least this was my observation.

Also low were the roll calls for both our cruises this year. BUT of the ones who did sign up we have made what I hope to be life long friends. Both our cruises were booked over a year in advance & it took several months before more joined.

HAL has won us over & planning to book another in the near future.

To each his or her own, but are you aware of the average temps in the Baltic in early May? I picked Copenhagen as a southern Baltic port, therefore one of the warmer ones. I found the following for the whole month of May, not just the first couple of weeks, so these numbers are high for early May: Average May Temp 12°C 53°F, Low Temp 7°C, 45°F, High Temp 16°C 61°F. Throw in the wind chill factor and it'll be pretty frosty.

To each his or her own, but are you aware of the average temps in the Baltic in early May? I picked Copenhagen as a southern Baltic port, therefore one of the warmer ones. I found the following for the whole month of May, not just the first couple of weeks, so these numbers are high for early May: Average May Temp 12°C 53°F, Low Temp 7°C, 45°F, High Temp 16°C 61°F. Throw in the wind chill factor and it'll be pretty frosty.

Frosty is freezing ;) Having been in the Baltics in May, we simply dressed in layers and by noon were removing most of them :)

Baltics weather is erratic - even in the summer. IMO having gone in August and May, we actually preferred our May cruise ;)

So you just never know :)

Frosty is freezing ;) Having been in the Baltics in May, we simply dressed in layers and by noon were removing most of them :)

Baltics weather is erratic - even in the summer. IMO having gone in August and May, we actually preferred our May cruise ;)

So you just never know :)

All good points. I just wanted to make sure the OP was an informed cruiser. I'm a wimp. I don't particularly enjoy waiting until mid-afternoon to get down to one sweater and a jacket. I guess it doesn't make a huge difference when the average Copenhagen high/low in August is a balmy 70/54 F, but it sounds better.

All good points. I just wanted to make sure the OP was an informed cruiser. I'm a wimp. I don't particularly enjoy waiting until mid-afternoon to get down to one sweater and a jacket. I guess it doesn't make a huge difference when the average Copenhagen high/low in August is a balmy 70/54 F, but it sounds better.

No worries at all :)

When I said layers it wasn't a sweater. We had light weight jackets and a couple of tops. We were fine.

We were down to short sleeved shirts at noon - no jackets ;)

Of course, we are from Canada, eh? 60 - 70 degrees is nice weather for touring and trust me, in St. Petersburg there is serious touring. Remember the museums aren't air conditioned so you don't want it hot :eek:

Of course, just to keep things in perspective, I am Canadian and wear sandals as soon as the temps hit 20 degrees if not sooner ;)

I'm sorry I didn't make it more clear; we wish to book in 2018 but I was looking for the 2017 roll call.

I also forgot that the ship was smaller, so that makes sense. We're looking forward to cruising on a smaller ship again. We want to feel like we're at sea and you just don't get that with the larger ships

As for the weather, I am Canadian like Kazu so I'm prepared for cooler weather. DH grew up in Labrador, trust me, we will be fully prepared for whatever the weather throws at us. ;)

Thanks to all for the quick responses.