Carnival wifi and Pokemon Go app...

mibarron

I don't care how people choose to relax.. if Pokemon Go is what they want to do on their cruise.. hey it's their cruise and who am I to tell them what they should do...

BUT... I really don't think the game is going to work in the middle of the ocean. If the game hits a server that tells it where the Pokemon characters are, I doubt they will program in a location at sea. AND even if they did, the ship is moving (unlike land locations where the server can say... hey there is a critter at these GPS coordinates..) so even if they did put them out in the ocean, the location would move through the ship as the ship moves through that space...I doubt you could catch one anyway...

But like I said to each his own.. go ahead and spend the money on the internet time to figure this out...

What about the card players, mostly older folks, who sit in a card room or take up a table in the lido all day playing cards with a scowl on their face? [emoji12] I love cards but wouldn't want to spend all day playing while on a ship. However if people enjoy that activity they should be able to do it. We really shouldn't be judging other people's likes. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm gonna be playing 'Chardonnay Go"!:D

YES! Go catch that rare Merlot.:D

I'm on the Pride right now and there's no Pokémon to be found on the water. But even though my kids are addicted on land (I'm a little addicted myself), there's so much going on on the ship that they forgot about the game.

Despite all the chatter here about all sorts of fantasized bumblings occurring due to Pokémon Go or a dozen drunks out of 4K passengers ruining cruises, the brouhaha over Pokemon at sea is a moot point and because technically it ain't happening yet. And for those here who tend to be a bit luddite in their comments, please raise your glass of whatever to cheer those Saudi Arabian clerics who just issued a fatawa outlawing the playing of Pokémon anywhere in that dessert country.:eek:

Edited by crewsweeper

I don't care how people choose to relax.. if Pokemon Go is what they want to do on their cruise.. hey it's their cruise and who am I to tell them what they should do...

BUT... I really don't think the game is going to work in the middle of the ocean. If the game hits a server that tells it where the Pokemon characters are, I doubt they will program in a location at sea. AND even if they did, the ship is moving (unlike land locations where the server can say... hey there is a critter at these GPS coordinates..) so even if they did put them out in the ocean, the location would move through the ship as the ship moves through that space...I doubt you could catch one anyway...

But like I said to each his own.. go ahead and spend the money on the internet time to figure this out...

Oh, I don't think they're going to be on the ships either--I have a pretty good understanding of how the Pokemon spawn point and stops/gyms work (based on Niantic's previous title, Ingress).

(That said, I do wonder if running "incense" would work. I'm sure we'll get reports soon from people who have tried, if we haven't already.)

I just hate seeing the resulting 'tsk-tsk' of the technology haters. As a non-drinker surrounded by threads and threads about drink packages, booze smuggling, how to evade the fifteen-drink limit on Carnival, etc., I find the hypocrisy a little galling. :)

My advice to everyone in general: Just do you. :)