Gluten free on HAL?

MSWcruiser

We are preparing for our upcoming cruise on the NA and I am traveling with someone that needs to be strictly gluten free.

Does anyone have experience with this onboard?

Do staff members seem aware of cross contamination issues?

What is specifically available?

Should we notify HAL in advance?

Thank you so much for your time!

HAL does not maintain separate kitchens that would provide a strict avoidance of gluten cross-contamination. But it does offer gluten free products. Anyone with that dangerous of a level of gluten allergy might well be taking a chance. Others have suggested bringing their own food to make sure what they eat is safe for their own level of sensitivities, when one can take no chances. However, those with lower level self-reported gluten allergies that do not require the insurance of separate food preparation report doing fine on HAL ships and work with the dining room staff to get special menus and attention to their special dietary needs.

Edited by OlsSalt

Yes they can provide gluten free! Yes it's a good plan to notify them ahead of time, and when you first go to the MDR, and ask questions often.

Your cabin number will be flagged so even if you choose Open Dining every waiter you get will have the flag that you require gluten free. You will likely be given the menus for the next night's dinner to review and make your selections. They have GF breads available. i would expect that if you have traditional fixed dining you will have GF bread on the the table but make sure. And they can make you GF pasta too.

Dessert offerings may not have GF choices other than the obvious such as ice cream, sorbet, cheese plate - watch the crackers - and fruit plate. And tell them no cookie in the ice cream! They forget about that sometimes.

In the Lido buffet you can request GF bread/toast, GF waffles (frozen, not fresh), I think GF pasta at the pasta station, but the pastries will not have GF options out on the display, AFAIK, may have changed, so ask.

Also ask to speak with the Lido Chef who is on duty whenever the Lido is open. He will be able to advise you about other things, gravies, etc. Also ask about the french fries. I think they may have changed and it's possible they may not be GF. Not sure they have GF hamburger buns, you make have to use bread.

If you've been GF for a while you know there are many safe choices, make sure you get your questions answered.

My experience is that HAL tries very hard and they sure don't want to make their passengers sick, but the responsibility is yours. Bon Appetite! m--

We are preparing for our upcoming cruise on the NA and I am traveling with someone that needs to be strictly gluten free.

I have gluten free meals and my travel agent advised HAL who emailed them a SRI form to be completed and returned to them some weeks prior to our cruise. On our last cruise to NZ I was able to order gluten free pizza, pasta, breads, cakes etc, they look after you very well, hope this helps

Also HAL sent me a Gluten Free Request Form where you can indicate how many serves of bread, rolls, bagels, pasta, deserts etc that you want each day (I think it is three servings of each per day included), they require the completed form back 90 days prior to your cruise.

I'm a celiac and have safely cruised many times with HAL. In the Lido, the servers do sometimes forget and use the same tongs for Different foods. If I see that I take the time to advise the chef or one of the lido management staff. Also the lido breakfast bacon and sausage pans have bread at the bottom to soak up grease so avoid those. I received warm GF bread in the dining room every night and they do have flourless chocolate cake that's really good. Just ask. I always do fixed seating at night so I have the same waiters and the poster above is correct, you do get the menu the night before to circle what you want to eat for dinner the next day. Not sure how it works in as you wish dining but upon arrival go down to the dining room manager's office and speak with him. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

...........I always do fixed seating at night so I have the same waiters and the poster above is correct, you do get the menu the night before to circle what you want to eat for dinner the next day. Not sure how it works in as you wish dining..... but upon arrival go down to the dining room manager's office and speak with him. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Re: my bolded above - For Open Dining it works quite well.... your flagged room number gives them the information. As you enter the dining room the greeter will ask you for your room number and the rest of info is attached to that. When you are seated the server will ask which of you requires the special foods. m--

We have been seated in "as you wish" since shortly after it began and I have had excellent service for my gluten free needs. I always identify myself with the maitre'd and hopefully, the chef, as asap after boarding. We have breakfast and lunch in the Lido but I am very observant as to how things are handled. If something allows for cross contamination, I ask the maitre'd for assistance.

• 4 weeks later...
I am also gluten free and informed HAL 90 days before our cruise. I never received any kind of form for my choices of bread each day. Has something changed that they no longer require this information? I am always surprised at the number of people who eat gluten free.

It's not a requirement, just guidance for how much of each item to plan for.

• 4 months later...