Kalamata

We were there last year. Not the nicest of ports. Little beach and a few restaurants around the port. We walked into the town. It was quite a walk and not much to see when we got there. On the way back we passed through an old railway "museum". If we were there again I would definitely look at doing a trip.

Hi Queenmandy,

Although I haven't called into Kalamata on a cruise ship, I have holidayed in the area several times.

Kalamata town itself is just a typical working Greek town but doesn't hold any particular interest to me so I have only been there a few times. There is a castle and a big church from what I can remember. Kalamata was hit and damaged by an earthquake in 1986 and lots of the old buildings were destroyed.

It does however have a huge beach. There are the typical facilities eg sunbeds, tavernas, watersports and also quieter areas for sitting on the beach. The beach is in walking distance for us but it does depend on how far you like walking - there should be taxis available.

I'm not sure how long you have there but there are some great ancient sites that you can visit if it's your kind of thing eg Ancient Messina, Sparti .

I know some ships do a tour of the Mani and this takes you to various villages around and about but when I have seen these you only seem to have time for a drink not enough time for a good look around or time to relax.

It is however a beautiful area and very scenic as you drive out of Kalamata. Hope this gives you a bit of help :)

Hi Queenmandy, Visited Kalamata in May. Woke up and looked out of the window, we were right in the town and could almost see into people's flats! Went ashore and someone was giving out leaflets/maps. It looked quite a way to the old town so we took a taxi, around 4 euros. We realised it wasn't as far as we thought, had a drink and walked back (about 25 mins). It was a pleasant walk on a roadway with no cars and past lots of shoe shops and cafes. We came to Railway Park which was a pleasant park with old trains parked there (there was a lovely flower show when we were there). We walked back toward the ship and there were lots of bars on the quayside. Carry on past them and there is a sea wall. Beyond this is a beach, nice for a paddle. Not the most exciting stop but we had a good walk and enjoyed our day.

Spend another euro in your taxi (5 euros) and get the driver to take you right to the top of the town where there is a fort (2 euro admission) with a spectaculr view over the surrounding area and a nice cathedral. From there it's a 3km walk all downhill through the town (as described above) back to the quayside. It's about 50mins at a gentle pace. Not the most exciting venue but including the railway museum in the park there was plenty to fill a day. Large bottle of water, a coke, a frappe and a large beer all with free greek nibbles was 9 euro on the quayside cafes along from the ship - very nice indeed.