overwhelming site, cruise to Alaska 2017

mart00

THere is so much information here, having trouble sorting it all. Cruise to Alaska 2017,possible solo or with 1 adult child. WHich cruise line is best? Prob. 7 days, don't have time to do land and sea. Suggestions appreciated, really looking for scenery and nature, don't care about entertainment. Thank you!

Guest maddycat
THere is so much information here, having trouble sorting it all. Cruise to Alaska 2017,possible solo or with 1 adult child. WHich cruise line is best? Prob. 7 days, don't have time to do land and sea. Suggestions appreciated, really looking for scenery and nature, don't care about entertainment. Thank you!

We did 2 Alaska cruises, both with Royal Caribbean. We enjoyed the first cruise (7 night round trip from Vancouver) so much that we did a 12 night cruisetour (5 night land tour followed by a 7 night southbound cruise) a couple of years later. Royal Caribbean provided excellent experiences both times.

Well, you have lots of time to do the sorting. The most important thing in planning a cruise to Alaska is to decide which ports you want to see based on what you would like to do. Get a guidebook. Or go to http://www.cruiseportinsider.com and check out the Alaska ports. Once you have decided what you want to do, check out http://www.cruisetimetables.com and select those ports to see who is calling there, and their itineraries. You also have to decide where you want to sail from, usually Vancouver or Seattle. Do you want round trip or one way? If the amenities on the ship do not matter, then the cruise line shouldn't matter. Choose your itinerary, then look for your ship. EM

Edited by Essiesmom

We're doing the 14 day cruise round trip from Seattle on HAL Amsterdam. Never cruised before and never been to Alaska. We decided on this particular one because of the itinerary (we were initially going to only go for 7 days) and the amount of time in each port. This cruise includes Anchorage, Homer and Kodiak. Totally excited! I bought this book, The Alaska Cruise Handbook: A Mile-by-Mile Guide by Joe Upton, and highly recommend it. My recommendation is to pick the itinerary you want rather than the ship/cruise line unless you are looking for something other than scenery and nature.

We are booked on the Emerald Princess for Sept, 2017, out of Seattle (7days). I looked at different cruises and researched stops. Then figured out when I wanted to go and from where. Then I looked at the options I had that matched that criteria. Lastly I looked at cabins that were available. For us, an amazing balcony was important for Alaska. We have never sailed with Princess but I am really excited about our cabin and itinerary! Good luck! Whatever you chose, I am sure you will have a great time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk