Emerald Beach St. Thomas

I was there years ago....I think it would be fine for what you need......no fee when I was there.

I'd post a picture, but I don't know how to do it.

Edited by McVegas

We went to Emerald Beach a few years ago. We quite liked it.

It was fairly quiet and very clean. We took a cab and had him come back for us later. The water was calm and the bar had free Wi-Fi with drink purchase. I can't recall if we had to rent loungers but the beach was free. I also don't remember anyone trying to sell us stuff on the beach.

There were iguanas, the kids would probably get a kick out of them

We went there for the first time this March. I attached a link below to my live review and that page and a few pages after have answers to questions from other cruisers and photos of Emerald Bay. We will return. Our 8 year old son loved it, and it is minutes from the cruise port by taxi.

I hope this helps.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2327226&page=14

We went there for the first time this March. I attached a link below to my live review and that page and a few pages after have answers to questions from other cruisers and photos of Emerald Bay. We will return. Our 8 year old son loved it, and it is minutes from the cruise port by taxi.

I hope this helps.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2327226&page=14

Thanks. I read your review. I think that will be just the right fit for our family. Did you go to the front desk of the resort to get a taxi back to the ship? Also, I read somewhere that they have a small playground? Did you see one?

Thanks. I read your review. I think that will be just the right fit for our family. Did you go to the front desk of the resort to get a taxi back to the ship? Also, I read somewhere that they have a small playground? Did you see one?

Yes, we went to the front of the hotel and got into one of the regular St Thomas taxi trucks. It is only a 5 minute ride each way and if your kids are tired that make all the difference. We didn't see a playground (not to say there isn't one) but there was a pool on the way to the washrooms. They were good but don't wait for the last minute to go as there were only a couple of stalls.

I hope this helps.

Edited by A&L_Ont

Thanks, I will

After checking that board, it is where we decided to do a beach day, also. It seemed to be very easy to arrange and close to port.

Please give an opinion when you get back. We go early January.

Have a good time.

Emerald Beach is our activity every time we go to St. Thomas. It is an easy and inexpensive cab ride to the beach and as others have said, cabs are waiting in the parking lot for the return trip. Just remember that if your ship is at Havensight the traffic downtown is quite heavy in the afternoon. Be sure to leave plenty of time to avoid missing your ship!

The beach is in front of the Best Western Hotel which has a beach bar and restrooms. Chairs and umbrellas are available for a nominal fee. It costs nothing to put your towel or blanket on the sand. If you are looking for loud non-stop action, this beach is not for you. If you want clear water and a family atmosphere, you will find it.

Yes, we went to the front of the hotel and got into one of the regular St Thomas taxi trucks. It is only a 5 minute ride each way and if your kids are tired that make all the difference. We didn't see a playground (not to say there isn't one) but there was a pool on the way to the washrooms. They were good but don't wait for the last minute to go as there were only a couple of stalls.

I hope this helps.

lol - thanks for the heads up about the "stalls". We like that it is only a short ride from the ship, too. More beach time.

We went to Emerald Beach a few years ago. We quite liked it.

It was fairly quiet and very clean. We took a cab and had him come back for us later. The water was calm and the bar had free Wi-Fi with drink purchase. I can't recall if we had to rent loungers but the beach was free. I also don't remember anyone trying to sell us stuff on the beach.

There were iguanas, the kids would probably get a kick out of them

Iguanas - Noah - our 7 year old grandson will love them. Probably even his sister Julia - who will be 3 during the cruise will, too. She likes to be like her big brother. Is the bar in the resort or outside? Should we bring snacks from the ship? I have read where people by one of the restaurants (can't remember the name) and grab fruit and chips.

Iguanas - Noah - our 7 year old grandson will love them. Probably even his sister Julia - who will be 3 during the cruise will, too. She likes to be like her big brother. Is the bar in the resort or outside? Should we bring snacks from the ship? I have read where people by one of the restaurants (can't remember the name) and grab fruit and chips.

The iguanas were just sitting out on the sidewalk, basking in the sun. We thought it was awesome.

The bar is on the beach. I honestly can't remember if they sold food or not, we got a drink and the wi-fi password. You had to be pretty close to the building to get any kind of signal.

As far as snacks, you aren't allowed to bring fruit off the ship. Something to keep in mind. Prepackaged snacks like chips or granola bars would be fine. If I were bringing children, I would probably bring some packaged snacks they like on board for just this situation.

The iguanas were just sitting out on the sidewalk, basking in the sun. We thought it was awesome.

The bar is on the beach. I honestly can't remember if they sold food or not, we got a drink and the wi-fi password. You had to be pretty close to the building to get any kind of signal.

As far as snacks, you aren't allowed to bring fruit off the ship. Something to keep in mind. Prepackaged snacks like chips or granola bars would be fine. If I were bringing children, I would probably bring some packaged snacks they like on board for just this situation.

Good to know about the fruit - I thought that I had read that people would get those cups of the fresh fruit and bring it with them - guess I won't be doing that.

The bar is on the beach. I honestly can't remember if they sold food or not

Yes, they have food at the bar and at the restaurant beside it. The hotel pool can also be used. We have been there many times and it is always a friendly place with nice amenities. Try one of their Toasted Almonds!

I always get one of their tables and chairs when we arrive (at the on-beach restaurant deck) and order something (drink or snack) and we do not have to rent beach chairs. I don't want to be out in the hot sun anyway, though they have trees for shade and beach umbrellas.

Edited by Tagsalong

Yes, they have food at the bar and at the restaurant beside it. The hotel pool can also be used. We have been there many times and it is always a friendly place with nice amenities. Try one of their Toasted Almonds!

That's nice to know that we can use the pool, too. Is a toasted almond a drink or nuts? lol

Below is the menu for the restaurant which is right beside the bar at Emerald Bay. We ordered around 11:30 before the "rush" of people decided to order. We ordered and paid for the food, and they delivered it to our beach chairs. We brought cans of pop and bottles of water from the ship, thanks to D+ perks. We also brought some bags of chips from Park Cafe, and a couple boxes of cereal from the Wind Jammer.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49418560&postcount=293

Below is the menu for the restaurant which is right beside the bar at Emerald Bay. We ordered around 11:30 before the "rush" of people decided to order. We ordered and paid for the food, and they delivered it to our beach chairs. We brought cans of pop and bottles of water from the ship, thanks to D+ perks. We also brought some bags of chips from Park Cafe, and a couple boxes of cereal from the Wind Jammer.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49418560&postcount=293

Thanks - we got the drink package, so I may bring drinks, too. Have to bring a little cooler. How much was chair rental? Food looks decent. Any shells on the beach for the kids to collect?

I want to say 2 lounge chairs were around $20. You could get just lounge chairs, single chairs, a palm leaf sun shade on a post etc... Some people brought their own chairs so I'd guess they were local.

Futher down the beach you could rent jet skis and paddle boards from a different vendor than the chair one. DW likes to snorkel and she had to go much further down the beach to the point where it was rocky and that attracted the fish. The beach itself was very sandy and there were few to no shells. The few we did find were small.

Edited by A&L_Ont

You'll love it! We went a few years ago, but as others have said, it's a quiet beach, calm water, beautiful view, there are chairs and umbrellas (for a fee), restrooms, food/drink - it's a lovely beach day for a couple or a family looking for a relaxing beach day. You do hear the planes, but you're sitting on a beautiful beach in St. Thomas - a few planes aren't the worst thing. :)

Enjoy!