Dress code Anthem of the Seas

I second collared shirt and dress pants. If want be bum do it at wind jammer. It pisses me off when people are disrespecrful to others. I'm no fan of formal wear but one should dress in respectable wear.

One should dress is respectable wear?? Since when are dress pants the only respectable wear? And how is a nice wear of golf shorts and a Tommy Bahama or a gold shirt dressing like a bum? Somehow the second someone mentions shorts people react like that means you want to wear gyms shorts a basketball jersey and sneakers.

We were on the 7-23 Anthem and there were plenty of folks that were dressed like bums in my opinion but I minded my own business and only worried about me and my family. You can't let something like this ruin your vacation. We specifically went to the Grande on the first night so that we didn't have to bring dress clothes. I saw plenty of folks dressed up also.

IMHO, its just adds to my experience of being at a restaurant, show, etc.

I agree with his statement and that's personally how I feel.

Having said that though, the point isn't whether you might look like a bum wearing shorts or other. If the ship rule says "no shorts allowed", then there should be no shorts, simple. If they don't say, then we have to assume they are acceptable.

Of course there are exceptions where culturally something else might be acceptable and I would expect the ship to acknowledge this accordingly. Like, Bermuda Shorts being allowed when in Bermuda. A Hawaiian shirt is acceptable and allowed, when in Hawaii.

I just wish cruise lines would enforce their own rules so there is no question. There are plenty of our topics for Cruise Critic ;)

I know a jackets is required for grand so I assume pants as well[emoji3], does anyone know if shorts are ok in other dinning rooms. Most of our guys have great looking dress shorts and collard shirts. So I guess the question is short pants or long pants?

Just got off the July 14th sailing and you saw everything in the dining rooms from pants to shorts .

What about women? :confused:

Another thread said Royal has dropped its prohibition on shorts in the MDR on non-formal nights. big-dancing-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif

When we were on a few weeks ago I usually a sun dress or capris . I did have very dressy shorts and top that are permitted to wear to work with me but didn't wear them in the restaurants .

We were on the 7-23 Anthem and there were plenty of folks that were dressed like bums in my opinion but I minded my own business and only worried about me and my family. You can't let something like this ruin your vacation. We specifically went to the Grande on the first night so that we didn't have to bring dress clothes. I saw plenty of folks dressed up also.

Hi Scott Girl,

Same trip. The boards are exploding with negative comments about that cruise. I had a man show up at the Chef's Table -strictly formal- in shirt sleeves. The athletic t-shirt was too much for me.

Tables were full of trash all over the ship...I ended up dining on my balcony. Very peaceful.

Hi Scott Girl,

I had a man show up at the Chef's Table -strictly formal- in shirt sleeves.

From RCI's website regarding Chefs Table

"Dress Suggestion

We suggest smart casual attire in all three restaurants – jackets for men, dresses or pantsuits for women. On formal evenings onboard, formal attire is also appropriate in the restaurants, including suits and ties or tuxedos for men and cocktail dresses for women."

Anthem has no designated formal nights, thus Chef's Table can not be "strictly formal". I can understand you misunderstanding and being upset, but that really was not Royal's fault in this situation.

I'm in the anthem right now. My husband dressed every night except the Grande in dress shorts and button down collared shirts. A dress short is different than casual shorts for sure.

I've seen a hand full of guys dressed way too casual and the stick out like a sore thumb, but hey....Not my family so I don't care.

Grande, everyone I saw was dressed formally and it was lovely....except the food sucked LOL...except for the lobster

Edited by Plainoldt

Hi Folks!

Less than a week to go !

As far as dress code, I read everything I could find, and IMHO it boiled down to this. Many areas said "we are British" ... we realize people come from other countries but ... Even in Bermuda, the tourist board information said "Bermuda shorts and Jackets, for men, in the evening ... Dress slacks and blouses for women".

On the ship, no speedos at the pools for men, no topless sunbathing, string thong bathing suits on women. No walking around the halls in bathing suits. I think it said within 25 feet of the pool area.

Some customs may be allowed in your country, but "we are British".

Personally I am all for it. All your questions are answered in cruise the Compass (available on line) and on RCL web site. When traveling to another country one abides by the customs in that country. It is just respect. Why spoil your vacation by being embarrassed?

I am so looking forward to Saturday!!!!!

"we are british" :) - made me smile!

I wouldn't cruise on P & O over here (which is probably the equivalent of Royal in the US) due to the formality and dress code but enjoy dressing to the nines on Royal. Work that one out :p

Here is a Compass off Allure for July. Shorts not mentioned as against the rules any longer.

Allure%20Eastern%20Compass%20_Page_23_zpsvafilv4i.jpg

This is from the RC web page ...

What are the dress codes onboard?

A:

Onboard Dress Code

Smart Casual: Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a collared shirt.

Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional)

Note: Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants. T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch.

Note: Smart Casual is allowed on Boarding Day at The Grande Restaurant (should only be included where we are speaking about The Grande)

I think it is self evident that this was a "different" class of cruisers.

"we are british" :) - made me smile!

I wouldn't cruise on P & O over here (which is probably the equivalent of Royal in the US) due to the formality and dress code but enjoy dressing to the nines on Royal. Work that one out :p

A:

Onboard Dress Code

Smart Casual: Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a collared shirt.

Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional)

Note: Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants. T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch.

Note: Smart Casual is allowed on Boarding Day at The Grande Restaurant (should only be included where we are speaking about The Grande)

A:

Onboard Dress Code

The last place for accurate information is the RCI website. Things change onboard and are not reflected accurately on the site sometimes for many months or even over a year.

Oh my goodness. Its not necessary to keep quoting Rccl website. You know when dressed appropriately. Men. No shorts. There is no such thing as dress shorts for men. Seriously. Wear slacks. Change after dinner if you are so uncomfortable. I'm reminded of the Charlie Sheen character that never wore pants. Its not this difficult. Or wear shorts but stop pretending it's appropriate. Its not. As quoted in the website a million times.

Agreed. I know I am a traditional but agree. The cruise ship provides you nice elegant and formal dining environments and experience. You are eating in a nice restaurant with professional servers. In return one should be respectful with their choice of dress. You should look are act like you are going out for a fast food restaurant.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh my goodness. Its not necessary to keep quoting Rccl website. You know when dressed appropriately. Men. No shorts. There is no such thing as dress shorts for men. Seriously. Wear slacks. Change after dinner if you are so uncomfortable. I'm reminded of the Charlie Sheen character that never wore pants. Its not this difficult. Or wear shorts but stop pretending it's appropriate. Its not. As quoted in the website a million times.

Onboard the ships it is now allowed. Victory! Stop crying about it.

Agreed. I know I am a traditional but agree. The cruise ship provides you nice elegant and formal dining environments and experience. You are eating in a nice restaurant with professional servers. In return one should be respectful with their choice of dress. You should look are act like you are going out for a fast food restaurant.

Agree. Agree Agree

Tell it to the women with their butt cheeks hanging out...

You are free to look however you want. I'd never shed a tear at a poorly dressed person. A giggle perhaps. Never a tear.

There's something wrong with your line of thinking. I'll be well dressed. In shorts. Not everything is gym shorts.

Royal now allows shorts in the dining rooms on non-formal nights. Doesn't mean you have to participate if you don't wish to. But to actually look down on others? Get real. I could not imagine going through life with such a shallow mindset. Or if it really bothers you, sail a different line. Royal obviously made the change to cater to guest wishes.

If your biggest problem in life is a stranger in the caribbean wearing shorts, bless your heart, I want your life.

There's something wrong with your line of thinking. I'll be well dressed. In shorts. Not everything is gym shorts.

Royal now allows shorts in the dining rooms on non-formal nights. Doesn't mean you have to participate if you don't wish to. But to actually look down on others? Get real. I could not imagine going through life with such a shallow mindset. Or if it really bothers you, sail a different line. Royal obviously made the change to cater to guest wishes.

If your biggest problem in life is a stranger in the caribbean wearing shorts, bless your heart, I want your life.

Careful what you wish for my friend.

It's getting much more casual now. Feel free to show up in your bathrobe, underwear, whatevs. Just treat it like Sunday morning at home after a hard Saturday night. As long as you can roll in, you're good.

It's getting much more casual now. Feel free to show up in your bathrobe, underwear, whatevs. Just treat it like Sunday morning at home after a hard Saturday night. As long as you can roll in, you're good.

Of course. We're on vacation. Love your sense of humor

Of COURSE there are dress shorts.

https://www.amazon.com/Haggar-Hidden-Expandable-Waist-Pleat/dp/B0040JGADS/ref=zg_bs_2528725011_1

Those would be acceptable in a dining room.

I agree with you that Athletic, cargo shorts or jean shorts would not be appropriate.