Dress code Anthem of the Seas

We'll be on Anthem in a few weeks and I was really contemplating not bringing a suit, since it's only 5 nights, and there's no real ship wide formal night. Ultimately my better half "convinced" me to bring it since we aren't flying and don't really have to lug it around. I've always dressed up for formal night, but I really don't care if someone else doesn't. I don't concern myself with what others do. When I look back at pictures, I don't look to see if there's some guy behind me in Crocs with a Don Pablo shirt.

We'll be on Anthem in a few weeks and I was really contemplating not bringing a suit, since it's only 5 nights, and there's no real ship wide formal night. Ultimately my better half "convinced" me to bring it since we aren't flying and don't really have to lug it around. I've always dressed up for formal night, but I really don't care if someone else doesn't. I don't concern myself with what others do. When I look back at pictures, I don't look to see if there's some guy behind me in Crocs with a Don Pablo shirt.

Are you eating in the Grande on night 2, 3 or 4? Then you need a jacket, with or without the rest of the suit.

If not, you don't.

Edited by Merion_Mom

in the olden days nobody would go to dinner without tuxes or dinner jackets, etc.

Those days are gone. So is fixed two shift seating for breakfast and lunch. So is the only option being light fare on the lido deck.

People travel more multi-generational now, don't want to meet strangers, and want instant social media access 24 X 7. There is so much more entertainment and activities, and the menus and service have been so downgraded, that dining is no longer an event. It is just eating and get on to the next thing on the schedule.

Unless you are staying a big suite, cruises cost less per person, per day, than they did 20, 30, 40 years ago. And the ships are magnitudes larger. So they must be filled every week. It is one thing to find 1K or 1.5K like minded individuals who don't really have other options for dinner. It is quite another thing when you have 4K to 6.5K people, the majority of which paying lower rates than in the past, and you give them a dozen different options for dining.

I find people on cell phones and tablets throughout a meal to be far more rude and tacky than what they are wearing. Yet RCI sells packages to give that 24 X 7 access because it is what the clientele wants. And the clientele does not want to dress up as much any more as in the past.

Edited by LMaxwell

In the end, people will continue to dress the way they want in the MDR. RCL no longer seems to care, so why should the masses? As I wrote in a previous post, casual wear is in and tuxes and gowns are on their way out, even among land-based restaurants. Of course, if one wishes to "dress to the nines" on any given night they are welcome to do so. I'm sure no one would mind.

Nailed it. Don't wait for a newsletter to tell you to dress up. if you want to dress up, do it every night. Whatever makes you happy. But your summation is spot on. casual is just the way the world has gone. Do it, or don't do it, but no sense moaning about it.

RCL is refining their requirements to keep in line with the rest of the world .

Not correct, RCI may be redefining dress code but it is not in line with "rest of the world".

UK and Europe is still quite formal in the evenings, our cruise out of Dubai where I think pretty much every continent was represented was the most formal yet. Sure it was this thread where I made the comment about Tux's in the windjammer.

Not passing any judgement about you folks from the states wanting to wear shorts to the MDR but it's not us elsewhere in "the world" leading the charge.

Just saying, I'm not fussed either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not correct, RCI may be redefining dress code but it is not in line with "rest of the world".

UK and Europe is still quite formal in the evenings, our cruise out of Dubai where I think pretty much every continent was represented was the most formal yet. Sure it was this thread where I made the comment about Tux's in the windjammer.

Not passing any judgement about you folks from the states wanting to wear shorts to the MDR but it's not us elsewhere in "the world" leading the charge.

Dubai cruises aren't RC's bread and butter. Caribbean milk runs are.

Dubai cruises aren't RC's bread and butter. Caribbean milk runs are.

Absolutely correct, I wasn't saying they were.

I was saying that things are slightly different away from the home market (if you like) regarding dress code.

Absolutely correct, I wasn't saying they were.

I was saying that things are slightly different away from the home market (if you like) regarding dress code.

My statement was not intended to be taken literally, but was general in nature. Let's try this: RCL is refining their requirements to keep in line with most land-based restaurants in the United States.

I think you hit the nail on the head. It's not the entire world that dresses down. it IS more common in the U.S., and it's kind of a shame. Of course I understand that we have the option of dressing up every night if we choose to do so. And, if the cruise line doesn't enforce or have any rules, then people can also choose to dress down. I get that.

But it doesn't mean I have to like it. :D

My problem with relaxing the dress code is that some folks will want to go even more casual -- you know the folks who think any rules or guidelines are not for them. I do not want to go to the dining room and sit at a table with a gentleman wearing a tank top and gym shorts. Way too much hair!

THIS. Whatever the current dress code is, there will always be people who want to ignore it and dress even more casually. And if the cruise line wouldn't enforce the previous standards, which were pretty casual IMO, why would we think they'll enforce today's standards?

I think you hit the nail on the head. It's not the entire world that dresses down. it IS more common in the U.S., and it's kind of a shame. Of course I understand that we have the option of dressing up every night if we choose to do so. And, if the cruise line doesn't enforce or have any rules, then people can also choose to dress down. I get that.

But it doesn't mean I have to like it. :D

Its been a while since we land holidayed in the States. We visited Vegas quite a bit before our son came along and that was the end of that :)

I think I'm going to get a surprise regarding the dress of other passengers when I cruise Oasis next April after predominently cruising outside of the states. Conversely anyone coming the other way to Europe may also be a little surprised.

I'm not saying either way of thinking or view is better or more valid than the other. I think its different though for sure, what do I know though.... a brit travelling an American line on an American website :)

Now wheres my shorts :p

Its been a while since we land holidayed in the States. We visited Vegas quite a bit before our son came along and that was the end of that :)

I think I'm going to get a surprise regarding the dress of other passengers when I cruise Oasis next April after predominently cruising outside of the states. Conversely anyone coming the other way to Europe may also be a little surprised.

I'm not saying either way of thinking or view is better or more valid than the other. I think its different though for sure, what do I know though.... a brit travelling an American line on an American website :)

Now wheres my shorts :p

After you have read this thread, you won't be surprised, Tin Can! ;)

Now you know what you will find. :eek: :rolleyes: