Sebourn Quest V. National Geographic Explorer for Antartica?

Smokeyham

On 7/18/2016 at 11:27 AM, WisRiver said:

We were on the Fram, a ship with a capacity of about 250. The 100 passenger rule meant that there was a constant shuttle of passengers to land in Antarctica. ...

The South Georgia Islands were an unexpected highlight of our trip. While our landings in Antarctica were incredible, the landings in South Georgia were almost as great.

Thanks. 

Is the South Georgia Island also restricted to 100 pax in shore at a time?

I would think that it is not, since SG is not south of 60 S, and thus is not controlled by IAATO, but the line may have its own rules.

Thank you!

On 3/7/2023 at 7:52 PM, pdmlynek said:

Thanks. 

Is the South Georgia Island also restricted to 100 pax in shore at a time?

I would think that it is not, since SG is not south of 60 S, and thus is not controlled by IAATO, but the line may have its own rules.

Thank you!

IAATO is a cooperative organization made up of and run by the tourism operators themselves. There is no specific area where they have authority and depend instead om the members self-regulating. 

The government of South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands cooperates closely with IAATO to have clear guidelines for landings at SGI. So while the available landing sites, permits , and restricted areas are controlled by the government, IAATO still has guidelines for sustainable tourism activities.

Many of the popular landing sites at South Georgia have 100-person limits. One exception is Grytviken, where more than 100 may be able to go ashore at once.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, kaisatsu said:

IAATO is a cooperative organization made up of and run by the tourism operators themselves. There is no specific area where they have authority and depend instead om the members self-regulating. 

The government of South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands cooperates closely with IAATO to have clear guidelines for landings at SGI. So while the available landing sites, permits , and restricted areas are controlled by the government, IAATO still has guidelines for sustainable tourism activities.

Many of the popular landing sites at South Georgia have 100-person limits. One exception is Grytviken, where more than 100 may be able to go ashore at once.

OK, thank you.  I appreciate your explanation.  I see that things are more complicated then I thought.