24 hour Vaparetto pass from airport?

Live in the moment

I've been reading and reading and planning and planning - and am now thinking about starting my plans over (!)

I had planned on taking the ATVO bus from the airport to PR where our hotel is, walking and exploring that whole day, and getting a 24 hour Vaparetto bus the next day, riding down the No. 1 to take pictures, then going to 2 islands and after dinner later, riding the No. 1 back to PR for night views.

Now we might do a walking tour the second morning - so I'm wondering (and hope someone can tell me if this is right/and will work) -

Can we buy the 24 hour Vaparetto pass at the airport when we land - and take THAT bus to PR (we will each only have a med. size rolling suitcase) - drop the suitcase at the hotel and then using that same pass take the No. 1 to take pictures, then going to 2 islands and after dinner later, riding the No. 1 back to PR for night views. AND if that IS possible - do we validate the ticket every time we get on a different boat? Or just as we are starting out?

Then we would do all our walking/exploring on the second day.

Thanks for any help!!

Edited by Live in the moment

I've been reading and reading and planning and planning - and am now thinking about starting my plans over (!)

I had planned on taking the ATVO bus from the airport to PR where our hotel is, walking and exploring that whole day, and getting a 24 hour Vaparetto bus the next day, riding down the No. 1 to take pictures, then going to 2 islands and after dinner later, riding the No. 1 back to PR for night views.

Now we might do a walking tour the second morning - so I'm wondering (and hope someone can tell me if this is right/and will work) -

Can we buy the 24 hour Vaparetto pass at the airport when we land - and take THAT bus to PR (we will each only have a med. size rolling suitcase) - drop the suitcase at the hotel and then using that same pass take the No. 1 to take pictures, then going to 2 islands and after dinner later, riding the No. 1 back to PR for night views. AND if that IS possible - do we validate the ticket every time we get on a different boat? Or just as we are starting out?

Then we would do all our walking/exploring on the second day.

Thanks for any help!!

I don't think the 24 hour pass/Travel Card is valid for any transport (bus or Alilaguna) to/from the airport. So you'll need to take the ATVO bus to PR and hotel, and then later buy your Vaporetto tickets once you're in the city. As for validation, I think you will only validate the Travel Card prior to your first embarkation and then you're done.

Please keep in mind that Venice is very compact and walkable. It's about the size of my neighborhood subdivision and I don't need public transportation to get around here. I have been to Venice a half a dozen times and I've used the Vaporetto once (and that was during our first visit and with a tour). If one wants to visit to an outlying island, use the Alilaguna (but that is also not included with the 24 hour Travel Card/Vap pass), so I personally don't see alot of value in the 24 hour ACTV Travel Card. Everything depends on one's ability to walk but for me, the cost of the Travel Card is just not worth €20 just to spare me 1 or 2 km of walking in a day. And this does not factor in the lost time--waiting for, boarding and riding the slow Vaporettos rarely beats walking!

Edited by Terpnut

Thank you for your reply! I love to walk, but we do want to see 2 of the islands and I'd also like to take pictures of the buildings from the canal. That's the only reason we would do the boats. And my thought with the 24 hour ticket is - if we add individual tickets for three things it's probably cheaper to go ahead and buy the pass. Then I thought if we got a one way bus ticket thrown in - how great is that? :)

Thank you for your reply! I love to walk, but we do want to see 2 of the islands and I'd also like to take pictures of the buildings from the canal. That's the only reason we would do the boats. And my thought with the 24 hour ticket is - if we add individual tickets for three things it's probably cheaper to go ahead and buy the pass. Then I thought if we got a one way bus ticket thrown in - how great is that? :)
When are you travelling to Venice? If peak summer time, then one more word of caution regarding the Vaporettos: Having been there six times now, including July of both this year and last, many Vaporettos are so jam packed, you are not guaranteed a seat or even a view. The views and pics are probably just as good or better walking along the waterfronts and canals than from the Vaporetto! Edited by Terpnut

You can buy an add-on to the PASS which will allow you to ride the ACTV aerobus and also take one vaporetto trip. Financially I don't think it offers a savings, but you can read about the details in this link. http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice_airport_buses_actv.htm

I think you're wise to buy a one-day pass. Having the pass gives the freedom to change your plans, or to take additional trips, without worrying about additional fares. Or in our case we decided to use the vaporetto to other stops within Murano, and we also go on the wrong vaporetto once, but since we had the pass there was no additional charge.

When are you travelling to Venice? If peak summer time, then one more word of caution regarding the Vaporettos: Having been there six times now, including July of both this year and last, many Vaporettos are so jam packed, you are not guaranteed a seat or even a view. The views and pics are probably just as good or better walking along the waterfronts and canals than from the Vaporetto!

We'll be there Sept 1-3 and again on the 10th and 11th

You can buy an add-on to the PASS which will allow you to ride the ACTV aerobus and also take one vaporetto trip. Financially I don't think it offers a savings, but you can read about the details in this link. http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice_airport_buses_actv.htm

I think you're wise to buy a one-day pass. Having the pass gives the freedom to change your plans, or to take additional trips, without worrying about additional fares. Or in our case we decided to use the vaporetto to other stops within Murano, and we also go on the wrong vaporetto once, but since we had the pass there was no additional charge.

Thank you!!! I'll read that!

You tap in with your pass every time you ride. Sometimes there is a gate sometimes not. For the 24 hour pass, the 24 hours start when you first tap in. If you have a combined one day pass and an airport transfer, I think they have to start at the same day or the same time even. Better to just pay cash for the airport bus ticket. That leaves you maximum flexibility. When you're ready for your first Vaporetto ride, tap in and activate and then you get 24 hours from that time.