Sabor and Solarium for dinner on Oasis -- reservations required?

On the Oasis, how critical are reservations in advance for dinner at Sabor and at the Solarium Bistro? Will we be able to just decide on the day of and show up?

I was on the Oasis 4 years ago and it seemed that the Solarium Bistro was usually empty, although we never went.

Just wondering...

(On another, funnier note, my autocorrect kept changing Sabor to Labor...the OPPOSITE of what I want on a cruise! :))

Thanks in advance.

We were on Oasis last week (7/9-7/16) and used one of our specialty nights on Sabor. We had reservations around 7:30-8:00pm and there was only one other table occupied.

I wouldn't waste a specialty dinner on Sabor. It wasn't good and the service was bad. They also didn't have any ripe avocados available! Go to Giovanni's or Chops (basically, anywhere but Sabor).

We were on Oasis last week (7/9-7/16) and used one of our specialty nights on Sabor. We had reservations around 7:30-8:00pm and there was only one other table occupied.

I wouldn't waste a specialty dinner on Sabor. It wasn't good and the service was bad. They also didn't have any ripe avocados available! Go to Giovanni's or Chops (basically, anywhere but Sabor).

I was thinking about Sabor as a "quick" dinner, a la carte, on a day we didn't have energy for full service in the MDR or Chops or Giovanni's. Sounds like we don't need to reserve it in advance, then.

Recently, I'm hearing similar reviews of Sabor - not great, no ripe avocados, etc. This is disappointing - when we first booked the cruise, I read great things. We'll probably try it (sharing something) for a lunch or dinner just to be sure.

Thanks so much for the information!

We enjoyed the Solarium Bistro last fall. I didn't have a particular need for avacados, so no idea if they had an issue. It was fairly empty. We did enjoy it and frankly if I want a crowd I can go to the main dining room. It is one of the few places where you have a bit of a view. It was nice to have diner around sunset in a restaurant that was fairly quiet. Was actually a bit romantic....The menu is more health oriented, so you need to keep that in mind. I don't think reservations would be necessary based on the one time we ate there. I am not sure how the menus for the Solarium Bistro or Sabor compare... since I have not been to the Sabor....

Thanks for the info re: Solarium Bistro. I think we will like the health orientation (I saw the menu on line). It's my mom and I, so we don't need romance, but quiet and nice sunset are a plus for us.

FYI the menus for the two restaurants are quite different. Sabor is Mexican food. And people have raved about the table side-made guacamole, hence the reference to ripe avocados. No ripe avocados=no fresh guacamole.

Sounds like both are a good option for us to opt for in the moment. Info is much appreciated.

Thanks for the info re: Solarium Bistro. I think we will like the health orientation (I saw the menu on line). It's my mom and I, so we don't need romance, but quiet and nice sunset are a plus for us.

FYI the menus for the two restaurants are quite different. Sabor is Mexican food. And people have raved about the table side-made guacamole, hence the reference to ripe avocados. No ripe avocados=no fresh guacamole.

Sounds like both are a good option for us to opt for in the moment. Info is much appreciated.

Oh, now that makes sense. I did not realize that. This trip will be our first on the Allure. I love the Oasis Class ship but my only real complaint is the lack of ocean views in public areas. Eg the Schooner and other bars and specialty restaurants. Our habit is to schedule specialty restaurant on the first night around sunset... so that limits our choice. It was a nice way to start the cruise... particularly since the specialty restaurants tend to be quiet the first night. This trip we are trying one of the dinner packages, so we do not know where we we eat night one. Have a good cruise

THIS. I was on the same cruise dates (maybe we saw you!). No avocados and the food was mediocre at best. Maybe kind of bad. Avoid Sabor. We went there for lunch and it was a total disappointment. It's certainly not high end cuisine you expect at specialty restaurants. Poor ambiance, too. Much, much better options onboard.

Though, if you want some deserts, for $5 Sabor does this dessert "box" that looks more like they are giving you the entire display tray... it was total overkill in almost a fun way.

Edited by BNBR

We were on the same cruise. We were offered guacamole made from avocado paste, because they were out of fresh avocados. No thank you! The space seemed to be used by the ship officers quite a bit, though. Only seemed crowded before and after aqua theater shows.

We were on the same cruise. We were offered guacamole made from avocado paste, because they were out of fresh avocados. No thank you! The space seemed to be used by the ship officers quite a bit, though. Only seemed crowded before and after aqua theater shows.

Lol. We passed on the avocado paste. I noticed the officers there, too. It was a very common spot for them to hang out.

THIS. I was on the same cruise dates (maybe we saw you!). No avocados and the food was mediocre at best. Maybe kind of bad. Avoid Sabor. We went there for lunch and it was a total disappointment. It's certainly not high end cuisine you expect at specialty restaurants. Poor ambiance, too. Much, much better options onboard.

Though, if you want some deserts, for $5 Sabor does this dessert "box" that looks more like they are giving you the entire display tray... it was total overkill in almost a fun way.

It is also not air conditioned. We think it's ok for lunch.