Verizon Phone and Caribbean Coverage

What if my husband and I simply want to text only each other on board; if we split up and want to meet up etc...is there a charge? Cruising Boston to Bermuda and we both have Verizon. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes, the rates are as stated in the OP.

According to their website they have Cruise Ship Rates where Voice is $1.79/minute, test is .50/message sent and $.05 message received and data is $2.05/MB or $0.002/KB.

What ship are you going Boston to Bermuda though? Rates could be different if not a Royal Caribbean ship.

Edit:

I looked at your posts and it looks like you are going on Norwegian Dawn. Ship rates are the same. You can buy a travel pass for Bermuda for $10 per day. The reason I asked your ship is because Anthem of the Seas uses an app that allows texting on board without incurring cell phone charges. It has a flat rate charge.

Edited by reallyitsmema

I am recently off of Freedom of the Seas with my two sons (17) and (23). I purchased the 3 device internet in order to connect to wifi. All phones were placed in airplane mode as to be sure no use of data. Download the application WhatsApp. and have all those you would like to communicate with land and sea do the same. Through the application you can text and make phone calls and you will incur no extra charges with Verizon.

We used both whatsapp and iMessage without additional charges. In airplane mode of course

You bought a 3 device voom package though. The poster I was answering isn't even sailing Royal Caribbean, I doubt Voom is available on Norwegian Dawn.;)

• 2 weeks later...
This looks interesting. Do you know if this has to be signed up for in advance or is it automatic?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You can sign up in advance for a travel pass for a country you are vvisiting or you can do it once you get to that country. We decided not to sign up in advance prior to our last cruise and each day, we would get a text asking if we wanted to activate a travel pass for the country we were in. All you had to to is confirm that you wanted the travel pass and it would be activated for 24 hours from the time you first used the service (sent a text, made a call or used data). We only used it in Cozumel. Mexico is a $2 country so we gave it a shot and it worked seamlessly.

Verizon has a global plan for $40 I used it in April on Indy and will use it again in October. I do not use their cruise ship plan. Call and talk to customer service. It's 100 minutes plus 100 outgoing text and free incoming text & 100gb data. Which I don't use the data.

This is the exact plan I decided on for an international trip we have coming up. I called Verizon Global, 1-800-711-8300, to find out what my options would be, and this was the best deal they offer.

• 5 months later...
I believe I just read that Verizon discontinued cruise coverage as of 1/17/17

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is not the way I read it:

*Effective 1/19/17 cellular data service will no longer be available on cruise ships and voice service will be $2.99 per minute.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/solutions-and-services/international-travel/

They will no longer be offering data service and have increased their cellular phone cost from $1.79 per minute to $2.99 per minute.