Are Balconies as Addicting as Cruising?

Mekamax

We have cruised WITH and WITHOUT balcony cabins. A balcony is only good if you have considerate neighbors. We had to keep our balcony door closed for much of the last cruise because our neighbors chain-smoked on their balcony and our room kept filling with their cigarette smoke. Not only were we choked out by smoke, but their LOUD:eek: and incessant conversation was totally annoying. We couldn't leave our balcony door open at night either, because they smoked all night and never stopped talking. Coffee on the balcony at breakfast, wine at sunset -- yes that's all very wonderful but ONLY if you are lucky enough to have considerate neighbors. Would we book a balcony cabin again? Yes....and we already have. We just make sure our expectations don't exceed reality. Sometimes you get lucky.....and sometimes you don't. There are inconsiderate people all over the planet and we've discovered that some of them even book cruises!:(

(And, Yes, I DO realize that smokers have rights too. Unfortunately for us, the only way we could enjoy our balcony on this last cruise was from inside the cabin with the sliding door closed.)

We have always had an oceanview cabin, but only once have we done a balcony. It's just not that important to us. We love being on deck where we can people watch and where we can move to change our view.

Many balconies are pretty confining. It's no problem for us to get a cup of coffee in the buffet and head out on deck.

We've always felt that our fellow cruisers are often just as interesting (or sometimes more interesting) than the sights.

And we would never bother with a balcony for an Alaska cruise. We would prefer, again, to be able to wander around the decks, taking in all there is to see instead of being confined to a single vantage point.

Just our personal opinion, mind you.

Having a balcony is wonderful! The sound of the waves, the sunsets or sunrises, coffee or a glass of wine as you watch the water! BUT... inside cabins are a short distance to the same things if the price is right and cruising always beats being at work! :) diannezzz

We'll only cruise if we can get a balconly. Our honeymoon cruise we had a window, I was so sick it took 20 yrs to cruise again, maybe a coincidence, but I've been fine since :D I think I need the fresh air, and I love the sound of the boat cutting through the water!!

We have cruised WITH and WITHOUT balcony cabins. A balcony is only good if you have considerate neighbors. We had to keep our balcony door closed for much of the last cruise because our neighbors chain-smoked on their balcony and our room kept filling with their cigarette smoke.

How awful for you after paying all that money for your vacation! On our HAL and Princess cruises I guess we were just lucky to have considerate neighbors.

On Oceania, smoking on the balconies is strictly forbidden, so it's not an issue at all.

Jane

On my first cruise on the Chandris Amerikanis, to take a shower we had to go across the hall way. We went the cheap way on the bottom deck. Next time, on the Nordic Empress, to again save $$$ we took an inside room. Our friends across the way had a window! "Next time that's us." So on our Disney Magic cruise we had a very large round window. It was great. After that, a balcony on the NCL Sky and NCL Sun had us hooked. Last January we had a very nice D1 balcony on the RCL Brilliance. The Brilliance was soooo great that we booked again for this coming January to Panama, with one of the largest hump balcony's available. Also, we have booked on the Grandeur for next November, an aftbalcony Junior Suite that is even larger than the Brilliance hump cabin. It seems to get bigger and better each time. However, the JS seems to be as far as we will go. It's only the two of us. Yes, it can get addictive.

count me among the no big deal folks re balcony. 6 cruises now and we were fortunate enough to be upgraded to a balcony once. It was nice, no doubt. But on most HAL itineraries a balcony is $600 to $800 more than an outside for the two of us. That's about what my shipboard tab runs for a week, so by sticking w/ an outside, I'm effectively getting my shipboard expenditures free as opposed to those in a balcony.

We enjoy being out and about and really didn't use the balcony all that much. I did an analysis a while back of the S class ships that HAL operates and roughly 65% of the rooms are outside or inside, so clearly I've got lots of company in folks who can manage w/o the balcony.

For those who wouldn't travel w/o one I say great.. that's the beauty of cruising.. w/ the various lines and the number of options on each line, there is something for everyone.

I know plenty of folks who can't afford to cruise, so we're happy to be able to go as often as we do and are more than content in our cat E w/ our cruising buddies in the adjoining room. We pop that door open and we have a 2 room suite for the 4 of us.

Less than 90 days til we're off on Volendam 1/22.

We have cruised WITH and WITHOUT balcony cabins. A balcony is only good if you have considerate neighbors. We had to keep our balcony door closed for much of the last cruise because our neighbors chain-smoked on their balcony and our room kept filling with their cigarette smoke. Not only were we choked out by smoke, but their LOUD:eek: and incessant conversation was totally annoying. We couldn't leave our balcony door open at night either, because they smoked all night and never stopped talking. Coffee on the balcony at breakfast, wine at sunset -- yes that's all very wonderful but ONLY if you are lucky enough to have considerate neighbors. Would we book a balcony cabin again? Yes....and we already have. We just make sure our expectations don't exceed reality. Sometimes you get lucky.....and sometimes you don't. There are inconsiderate people all over the planet and we've discovered that some of them even book cruises!:(

(And, Yes, I DO realize that smokers have rights too. Unfortunately for us, the only way we could enjoy our balcony on this last cruise was from inside the cabin with the sliding door closed.)

You are right-cigerette smoke does carry and both times I had balconies I had smoking nieghbors. My neighbors though used the balcony very little so it was not much of a problem.

On Disney ships you are not allowed to smoke in the stateroom, only on the lido or on the deck that has the promande to the outside or if you have a balcony stateroom on the balcony.

I did enjoy that ship and being able to go to a lounge such as the piano bar and enjoy the lounge without any cigerette smoke.

I wish I could afford Oceania but with their cheapest cabin starting at $4000 a person even when they have a "sale" (two for the price) of one that is more then I want to spend.

Had our first balcony last year on RCCL. It was wonderful. We booked a cruise for May 2006 (oceanview). The balcony was $300 more per person. I would rather spend my money on spas, excursions etc. However, I sure loved the balcony for morning coffee and the sound and smell of the ocean.

It all depends on what is more important to you. Living near the coast for so long, plus owning my own boat for a while, I guess the novelty of just sitting and looking at the water isn't as high a priority for me. At least not for the premium price! (Especially as a solo traveler!! :eek: ) During the day I will be in port since I cruise for the itinerary not the ship. I pick my cruise based on ports and price. You will never convince people who book their cruise based on cabin location, balcony sq footage and ship amenities/size/age that none of that stuff really matters. And they'll never convince me that it does! :D That's one of the things that's so wonderful about cruising, it can truly be all things to all people.

Gail

PS: Chartering your own boat for a week in the islands is most addicting of all LOL but that is something I can't afford to do every year!

i had a inside cabin the first cruise. i splurged and went for a oceanview for the 2nd one. when i boarded i had been upgraded to a regular balcony cabin. wow, it was fantastic. my 3rd cruise is in 15 months to the mexican riviera for 8 days. i have a extended balcony at the very back of the ship.

too answer your question ----OH YAH :D

I am more addicted to cruising than balconies. For my upcoming cruise we are getting an inside cabin. It was either that or no cruise. I can do without the balcony:D

Grayce you said it best-balconies are nice-but cruising is the thing-I want to cruise-and if I can only afford an inside cabin-at least I still get to cruise.

I know on another thread here a woman posted she had to have a balcony and because of her budget, this meant only cruising only every other year. I would rather cruise every year in an inside cabin then every other year in a balcony.

So that is what it boils down to-we all want a balcony if it is in our budget-but the main thing is to be on a cruise. All of us if money was no issue would pick the best, huh?

Hey if money was no issue I would be on Radisson, Crystal or Oceania in the best suite for sure. But heck I have had a good time on all 10 of my cruises and I have cruised more on Carnival and RCCL then even the slightly more upscale lines like Princess and HAL. I figure Princess, HAL and Celbrity is as good as I will ever be able to afford to cruise. I always have a good time cruising so I don't mind.

Nothing is wrong with you- and you will LOVE your balcony. :D

(We have enjoyed all the things you have listed on our past cruises and are looking forward to the next cruise.)

To add to your list- quiet reading time on the balcony, catching the sunsets and sunrises on the balcony, catching the ocean breezes through the (open) balcony door, watching as we sail into or out of ports, napping on the balcony..... can anyone add more????

I can add more but I think I would be bleeped out

we (family of 4) have only started cruising in 2003. we took a very short cruise (to check it out) on the royal carib majesty. our next cruise was last december oceanview on the jewel. this december, we have our first balcony on royal carib's serenade. I CANNOT WAIT. then we are going on our first royal carib "mega ship" the explorer next june IN AN OWNERS SUITE. my husband has informed me that that will be it for awhile!!! can't wait.

Yes, the only balcony we have had was on our honeymoon my wife was looking forward to some private time on it, however, when we went out it is noticably not that private. We also don't like a lot of light and noise when sleeping so an open deck was not an option. I did notice by having a deck being able to see outside helped with my balance when I'm in a inside cabin I seem to stumble around more...or maybe I was just drinking more. Deck or not the cruise itself is the main reason to go.

Wayne

We took a Hawaii cruise in March that ended in Ensenada. The only cabins available six months prior to the cruise was an inside cabin, so we booked it.

As it turned out, we were glad we got the inside because the Pacific Ocean had some rough seas on the way back to the mainland. It was very chilly and rough on our last two sea days, so I was gald I hadn't paid for a balcony. Someone had warned me to get an inside cabin midship on a lower deck if you are sailing in rough seas. Great advice.

I did learn that I would prefer a 7 night cruise staying in Hawaii than going across to the mainland with 4 sea days on the Pacific. I don't like flying, but 4 sea days was 2 too many.

Archived