A la Carte Speciality Dining

sandancer

We have purchased a 5 night dining package for our upcoming Epic cruise. Now I see that most of the restaurants are A la Carte. Can anyone tell me how this works with a pre-paid package. I can't find this information on the NCL UK website. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

In general you are only allowed one main/entrée. As many starters/appetizers as you like and as many desserts as you like. If the sides are charged for, as many of those as you want.

The fixed price restaurants, notably Moderno, are probably cheaper to pay the cost rather than use a package meal. The package is better to be used in the a la carte restaurants where it is easy to get $40 of food for each persons package meal especially where the top priced steaks are over $20 and you add in 3-4 sides, a couple of starters (soup and salad) and a couple of desserts..

That sounds great. I was thinking that you could only have as much as the cost of the package. So 5 nights costs $99. That is roughly $20 for each meal. I assumed that everything over $20 was paid for extra.

When you go to a Specialty restaurant you will have to hand over your room card which will have the package detail on it. If you want to use a package for the meal they will assume that. If you don't, say when going to Moderno, make sure you tell them then.

Your bill will be made up as usual but one for each individual (they will now want all cards) and the value of the bill will be written down so that all you would pay for would be any drinks where you don't have a drink package.

That sounds great. I was thinking that you could only have as much as the cost of the package. So 5 nights costs $99. That is roughly $20 for each meal. I assumed that everything over $20 was paid for extra.

If that was the case, there would be no benefit to buying a package.

Can I please tag onto this thread since at least the subject line is pretty general.

Sailing on the Escape in November. I think we're going to eat at the Tapas restaurant for a lunch. How does that work? I see there is a $7.00 charge in addition to the SDP. Do we order as many tapas as we want?

Many, many, many years ago, I went to Mexico with my mother. They had tapas in the bar. I thought they were free. I ordered one of these and one of those and two of the something else and on and on. They were delicious, but then the bill came. YIKES!!! My mother made fun of me about this for years - we got a good laugh out of it.

Anyway, I don't want my second experience with tapas in 30 years to be a repeat. So, can someone please advise me as to how this works.

Thank you.

From a country bumpkin. LOL

If that was the case, there would be no benefit to buying a package.

Yeah, I could have used a little common sense there if I had thought it through a bit more.

Can I please tag onto this thread since at least the subject line is pretty general.

Sailing on the Escape in November. I think we're going to eat at the Tapas restaurant for a lunch. How does that work? I see there is a $7.00 charge in addition to the SDP. Do we order as many tapas as we want?

Many, many, many years ago, I went to Mexico with my mother. They had tapas in the bar. I thought they were free. I ordered one of these and one of those and two of the something else and on and on. They were delicious, but then the bill came. YIKES!!! My mother made fun of me about this for years - we got a good laugh out of it.

Anyway, I don't want my second experience with tapas in 30 years to be a repeat. So, can someone please advise me as to how this works.

Thank you.

From a country bumpkin. LOL

When we were seated, the hostess and server both verified that we were using SDP credits. The server then brought us meat and cheese variety plates to get us started while we looked over the menu. We really didn't know what anything was, so he asked if we just wanted him to bring things, and he did. He continued to bring various dishes, explaining what each was, until we were stuffed and cut him off. At one point we asked for another of something because it was so good. (It was all good though!).

Hi.

My group of six has UDP (not SDP) and we are sailing on the Breakaway in two weeks.

Our dining is for all nights.

We have restaurants booked each evening.

So is it correct, we can order one entre but extra apps, deserts and sides if we choose?

We received the package when everyone in the cabin received UBP and UDP.

Thank you all so much!

Hi.

My group of six has UDP (not SDP) and we are sailing on the Breakaway in two weeks.

Our dining is for all nights.

We have restaurants booked each evening.

So is it correct, we can order one entre but extra apps, deserts and sides if we choose?

We received the package when everyone in the cabin received UBP and UDP.

Thank you all so much!

yes, except at Teppanyaki you can order as many entrees as you want.

Edited by LrgPizza

I also want to know if its accurate that with the dinning plans you can order only 1 entree but multiple sides,appetizers & desserts? We have the 3 day speciality dinning package if that matters... (specifically wondering for Cagneys)

I also want to know if its accurate that with the dinning plans you can order only 1 entree but multiple sides,appetizers & desserts? We have the 3 day speciality dinning package if that matters... (specifically wondering for Cagneys)

Yes

When we were seated, the hostess and server both verified that we were using SDP credits. The server then brought us meat and cheese variety plates to get us started while we looked over the menu. We really didn't know what anything was, so he asked if we just wanted him to bring things, and he did. He continued to bring various dishes, explaining what each was, until we were stuffed and cut him off. At one point we asked for another of something because it was so good. (It was all good though!).

Thank you VERY much. That sounds good and something different.

Thank you VERY much. That sounds good and something different.

You're welcome. We will absolutely do this again the next time we sale that ship with SDP. It was one of our best uses of the meal credit.

yes, except at Teppanyaki you can order as many entrees as you want.

We just got off the Pearl, and I had no notion that you could do that. I had steak and shrimp, but would have preferred steak and lobster (not an actual option).

We just got off the Pearl, and I had no notion that you could do that. I had steak and shrimp, but would have preferred steak and lobster (not an actual option).

It will work for you in the future though. With the new menus, steak and lobster is the option, rather than the shrimp (although they will do either if you ask).

I prefer the shrimp, which just shows how we all have different preferences doesn't it. :)

Edited by KeithJenner

It cracks me up when folks ask if they can order multiple apps, salad, soup, sides, and dessert.

Where is real life would we order two of things? As soon as we ship our bodies start to require massive quantities of food. :rolleyes:

Edited by cincicruisers

It cracks me up when folks ask if they can order multiple apps, salad, soup, sides, and dessert.

Where is real life would we order two of things? As soon as we ship our bodies start to require massive quantities of food. :rolleyes:

I consider myself a light eater, but I do sometimes enjoy haveing both a soup and a salad before my steak comes. Or maybe that great escargot and mushroom soup before my main at Le Bistro. And would it be so unusual to order both a baked potato and some asparagus or something? These are the kinds of things that people are talking about when they ask about ordering "multiple". Because some of the menus are set up with everything from appetizers, soups and salads under one heading called "starters" some people are confused about ordering more than one item and think they must choose one. It's not that we are glutinous pigs.:p. But yes, I don't dine that way at home, for 7 nights in a row. That's one of the reasons I go on vacation.

On my last cruise, I was in Cagney's and the table next to me ordered 2 appetizers, 1 salad, 1 entree and 2 sides each, I wasn't there for their dessert. I guess because it is free with SDP/UDP and you know when it is free.....I was surprise that they could get all the food on the table!!! Edited by NLH Arizona