Alaska and Glacier Bay

We're planning an Alaskan cruise on the Pearl next summer, and was wondering which side of the ship is best for Glacier Bay specifically, or does it matter?

Also, our 7 year old grandson will be with us...what is available for children that age? Is the kids club decent? We've sailed the Pearl a couple times, but not with children, so we really don't know what's available for the young ones.

Thanks!

It doesn't matter which side. The ship gets to Marjerie Glacier around 9:00 am or so, and spins 4-5 times in place. It's good to know it isn't an all day thing, so you don't sleep late and miss it.

Either side really. The bay is a dead end, so on the way in, best viewing on port side, on the way out, best viewing on starboard side.

In all honesty though, that only matters if you plan to stay in your cabin during the time you are in the bay. Better viewing if it's cold is from the observation lounge on deck 11 or 12 (getting my ships mixed up) forward.

The very best viewing though, is outside on the open decks.

It's a magnificent cruise, you can't go wrong with a trip to Glacier Bay.

Also know for your grandson, there are Park Service has rangers who come on board to talk about the glaciers and the area. If you have a National Parks Passport, you can get an very elusive stamp in it (rangers bring them on board). If your grandson goes to kids club, the rangers go there, too, and talk to the kids while they have hot chocolate, and do an activity.

If you want the commentary and glacier viewing to match up, you need port side. The above posts are very simplistic and obviously got only a small portion of the potential opportunities in Glacier Bay. For some, including myself, It is an "all day thing". Interesting only the mention of Margerie Glacier. There are, at least 4 glaciers that are seen, 2 prior to that one, and another right next to it (used to adjoin when I first sailed there). Before entry, I always see a lot of wildlife since the ship is stalled outside Bartlett Cove. Everyone is different- just a general statement. You see nothing but raves about Alaska visits. Enjoy.

I have sailed twice on Pearl for the Glacier Bay cruise, and those are two of my favorite cruises ever.

I like aft cabins. You get a sweeping view of everything from your balcony and as previously mentioned the boat spins at Marjorie Glacier so you have plenty of time to see it from any side.

One thing to note, if you are staying in your cabin....the ranger will be giving constant updates on one of the channels on the TV. You will get a map the night before and can easily follow along on where you are.

It really is a beautiful place, and even on an overcast day you see amazing views of the glaciers and wildlife.

Can't recommend this cruise strongly enough.

I have sailed twice on Pearl for the Glacier Bay cruise, and those are two of my favorite cruises ever.

I like aft cabins. You get a sweeping view of everything from your balcony and as previously mentioned the boat spins at Marjorie Glacier so you have plenty of time to see it from any side.

One thing to note, if you are staying in your cabin....the ranger will be giving constant updates on one of the channels on the TV. You will get a map the night before and can easily follow along on where you are.

It really is a beautiful place, and even on an overcast day you see amazing views of the glaciers and wildlife.

Can't recommend this cruise strongly enough.

This^^^^

I agree, although we had a photo shoot that day so we were in several areas.

If you want the commentary and glacier viewing to match up, you need port side. The above posts are very simplistic and obviously got only a small portion of the potential opportunities in Glacier Bay. For some, including myself, It is an "all day thing". Interesting only the mention of Margerie Glacier. There are, at least 4 glaciers that are seen, 2 prior to that one, and another right next to it (used to adjoin when I first sailed there). Before entry, I always see a lot of wildlife since the ship is stalled outside Bartlett Cove. Everyone is different- just a general statement. You see nothing but raves about Alaska visits. Enjoy.

A bit insulting, but ok. Actually, last week, there was one prior to Margerie, and two after, viewable from either side. I must have missed the narration specifically being tailored to the port side, even though I had the tv on in my starboard room and admired the views from throughout the ship "all day".

A bit insulting, but ok. Actually, last week, there was one prior to Margerie, and two after, viewable from either side. I must have missed the narration specifically being tailored to the port side, even though I had the tv on in my starboard room and admired the views from throughout the ship "all day".

You can see 2 glaciers before you get to the dead end of the Tar Inlet where Margerie, and Grand Pacific are. Reid and Lamplugh Take a look at a map. As I mentioned, people miss them. Some times, ships will give a look at the John Hopkins, although it is only open in Sept for entrance.

A few weeks back (June 26) we were on the Pearl with our soon to be 7yo DD. She LOVED LOVED LOVED the kids club. Her 2 favorite things of the trip were the ice cream machine and the kids club. I am in the middle of writing up my trip report and have the first few days up there already if you want to check it out.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2379752

Included in my report is the kids club schedule from our cruise for the 6 to 9yo group, the Seals. As long as they don't change it up Thursday night is "Pirate Night" and the kids dress up like pirates and go in search of Stinky Pete around the ship. So be sure to catch them singing and chanting around the ship. They also have a Kids Circus on Saturday afternoon around 330p, they performed in the Stardust Theater. They can sign up to do preform things such as plate spinning, juggling scarves and the like as long as they have practiced during the week and attend the final practice session Saturday morning.

Just a word of warning, we did get shut out of the kids club one night early in the cruise. They only allow so many kids in at a time, I think 65 was the max. We were told they had 400 kids on board during our cruise, I figure they meant under the age of 18. When we knew she really wanted to go or had to be there (we had 2 dinners just by ourselves) we made sure to line up early.

As for the Glaciers as others have said the ship does a few 360 turns at most of the glaciers. That said we watched them from quite a few places including our balcony, out on deck, and from the bow of the ship on deck 8 which they opened only in Glacier Bay.

As Budget Queen mentioned some ships will give you a view of John Hopkins and we did get to see it but had to stay about 5 miles away. I believe it was due to the seals birthing near the Glacier in the summer. At 5 miles it is still spectacular (and I have a decent zoom on my point and shoot too) and from memory they turned the ship only once so both sides got a look, other glaciers we turned at least a few times. They Ranger said it was a treat for us to be able to see JH as the Captain did a great job and we had the time to see it. I remember hearing something about the ships only getting 4 hours in the glacier viewing area. But actual time in GB is a lot longer as the ships have to get to and from the glaciers.

CIMG2911_zps1asqjius.jpg

John Hopkins

CIMG2927_zpscvsmfm6x.jpg

John Hopkins

Edited by jimsig

Once again, BQ is insulting those of us who also have knowledge, albeit maybe not quite as expert as she states. Kindness matters. The information given was accurate, and did not require unsavory commentary.

We found that trying to use the sky lounge (or whatever it's called on the Pearl) for inside viewing extremely frustrating as many camp out there all day along the glass, so viewing the scenery from over the tops of others heads, is less than favorable. Some even had the comforters off their bed, so it looks like they have slept there overnight to protect their space. We enjoyed our aft balcony for those sweeping views and kept the TV on for the commentary.

Edited by mickeysgal

We found that trying to use the sky lounge (or whatever it's called on the Pearl) for inside viewing extremely frustrating as many camp out there all day along the glass, so viewing the scenery from over the tops of others heads, is less than favorable. Some even had the comforters off their bed, so it looks like they have slept there overnight to protect their space. We enjoyed our aft balcony for those sweeping views and kept the TV on for the commentary.

This. Between the all-day campers and the walkers and people movers parked everywhere and everything else going on in the Spinnaker, we spent a total of five minutes in there during the Glacier Bay transit. Although I didn't see anyone with their comforters, I'm not surprised.

I agree with mickeysgal... I can't recommend a aft balcony (or forward suite) enough for this cruise.

Glacier Bay Viewing from Spinnaker Lounge:

gb-spin-1.jpg

gb-spin-2.jpg

gb-spin-3.jpg

Was in a starboard aft suite in 2012. We spent most of the time on our balcony listening to the narrative and watching it all go by.

We ordered the special drinks - Alaskan Snowplows and had breakfast in suite.

The only problem with aft is that you are behind the narrative as the rangers are forward - probably on the bridge. Wildlife sightings by the rangers are also hit and miss by the time the aft of the ship reaches it.

I would recommend a Port side Aft suite on deck 10 - specifically 10664 or on the front of the ship in 10502 or 9502.

Glacier Bay is an all day event and one to be savored - lots of wildlife, glaciers, and scenery - and the rangers tell how it was all done.

Thanks, everyone! I believe the aft balconies are already sold out for the date we want, and not sure about the forward suites...since we're taking the grandson, and also his parents, and baby sister, not sure a suite will be in the budget for this one. We would love a forward penthouse, had one on the Panama Canal cruise this past December, and the balcony was awesome!

As well, the windows in the Spinnaker were horribly streaked and spotted. You'd think they'd want the best, and pristine glass, up there. But viewing was pretty weak. Anyways, it was a beautiful 65-70 or so. I don't know why you wouldn't want to be outside.

I'm attaching a stitched panoramic I shot from Deck 12.

slp_marjerieGlacier_07212016.jpg.fc8f81701e5a6da4f66b8fb34796768a.jpg

Edited by sjlocke