Western Caribbean dive suggestions

momto2js

My DH is an experienced diver. Nitrox and lots of deep open water experience. We are doing a family cruise to the Western Caribbean in October. Roatan, Costa Maya, Belize, and Cozumel are the stops.

Any thoughts about operators and best ports to send him out with? Any good options for the kids (age 7 and 9) to ride along and snorkel while he is diving?

All great diving ports of course:

Roatan:

I recommend Subway Watersports. The cruise lines use Anthony's Key Resort, and they used to do a good job, but the last time I used them, the level of service fell dramatically. Subway is less expensive, and they pick you up and return you to the pier included in the price. Their facilities are first rate, and the diving is equal to that at Anthony's Key. (http://subwaywatersports.com/) Nitrox 32 is available for an extra charge.

Costa Maya:

Simple! Gypsea Divers. Catherine and Abel there are the best. Great diving, great location. (http://www.gypseadivers.com) No nitrox in Mahahual that I know of.

Belize:

Here is one port where I think it's best to use the ship's excursion. For Belize city, the ship anchors quite a way out in the harbor, and the tender trip in is at least 20 minutes. If you book the dive trip through the ship, the operator (Hugh Parkey's) picks you up at the ship. The diving is the opposite direction from the City, so by doing this, you save the 20 minutes into the city, then 20 minutes back, and instead have only the 15 minute trip to the dive sites. The diving is good, and Belize is definitely a place to plan some activity. Not a port where you would enjoy just walking around the city on your own. I don't believe they offer nitrox on the ship's groups, but you may be able to arrange for it by contacting them (http://www.hpbelizeadventures.com).

Cozumel:

For a serious diver, you can't beat Aldora. Their prices is about $50.00 more for a 2-tank dive than the standard in Cozumel. However, they use the 120 cubic foot tanks, and have all good equipment and nice boats. It's definitely a case where you get more value for the extra cost. (http://www.aldora.com). They offer both nitrox 32 and 36 at an extra fee. Considering the longer bottom times, it's probably worth it here.

None of these really lend themselves to combining snorkelers and divers on the same trip. The topography of the sites just isn't well suited to that. Of the four, the only two where it would even be possible would be Roatan and Costa Maya. Costa Maya (Mahahual) there's good snorkeling right off the beach, so it might be easy to snorkel on the surface interval between dives.

Harris

Denver, CO

Ride along snorkelers.... that is pretty rare. Most dive sites are going to be deeper than you want kids to snorkel, plus someone has to watch them and the boat crew needs to be watching the divers for safety, and other boats, etc. I have had my teen snorkel while we dive just once, because he was supposed to dive but had a head cold that day. The boat captain had to watch him and make sure he was safe. I think he was 15 at the time.

Cozumel... I probably have 150+ dives there as it is our land vacation spot of choice most of the time. Your port arrival time is the biggest issue with diving there. Some ships arrive after the morning boats go out, which is 7-8am. Boats come back from reefs (which are waaaay down south of the cruise ship piers) around noon-1pm. The afternoon boats go out between 1-2pm. THIS MEANS, unless you have enough people to book a whole boat, and have it held for you, you aren't going on the dives until afternoon.

That is why in Cozumel, most people book through their ship. Not the best dive op, but the diving in Cozumel is fantastic and worth it.

Snorkeling... I would take the kids to Chankanaab to shore snorkel with a group and proper gear. Ages 7 and 9 are too young for Cozumel deep water.

Roatan.... The reefs are very close to shore, so short boat trips. It might be possible to do the ride along thing there, but you need to call several dive ops to see if they will do it. It would be safer, IMHO, to book a separate snorkeling boat for the kids.

Belize.... diving is 2 hours away from the ships. Snorkeling can be 30 minutes away. Book separately only. Snorkeling might be great there for the kids as most areas they take boats are very shallow.

My personal opinion... your husband should dive at Cozumel and Roatan. Skip diving and do a snorkel tour together in Belize. Take the kids to AKR in Roatan to do the dolphin thing while he dives.

JUST MY OPINION as a mother and diver.

Our family dove in Roatan in May with West End Divers http://www.westenddivers.info/#_=_. They pick you up at the port and bring you back when you're done. The diving there is very close to shore and awesome! The boat trips are quick. They return to the dock between dives it's so close. They have an open-air, sheltered shop where you can relax between dives. They may take snorkelers out on another boat to a shallower part of reef. You could check this out with them. They were very prompt at returning emails.

About 3 months ago I wrote a wonderful review on all of these ports. Wish I had it to post for you but CC removed it since reviews aren't allowed even though it would be very helpful for you.

Long story short...

Cozumel...Aldora (private) is great

Belize...Seasport Belize (private) was wonderful

Roatan...Anthony Keys (ship operator) is outstanding

Grand Cayman...Don Foster's (ship operator) horrible

Hope he has a great trip!

About 3 months ago I wrote a wonderful review on all of these ports. Wish I had it to post for you but CC removed it since reviews aren't allowed even though it would be very helpful for you.

Long story short...

Cozumel...Aldora (private) is great

Belize...Seasport Belize (private) was wonderful

Roatan...Anthony Keys (ship operator) is outstanding

Grand Cayman...Don Foster's (ship operator) horrible

Hope he has a great trip!

Divinmule,

I saw your material in that brief moment. Did you save it by chance? Now you could respond to a specific request. :)

You're very right it would help a lot.

Harris

Denver, CO

Wish I had it to share. But since I was under the impression that I was writing an acceptable review...I wrote it straight onto my CC post.

I did ask for the copy they removed to be emailed to me but that did not occur. :(

Sorry.