Extra days in Rome

Edmontontraveller

We have a tour ending in Venice and we are going to Rome for 2 days after. We would already have spent a day there on a tour which would take us through the Coliseum and main Vatican items.

During our extra two days there what would people recommend?

A rome at night tour in the Coliseum has been suggested but I'll already have seen it in the day so i am not sure.

Any other ideas?

Even the barest skim of a guidebook shows that there are many, many highlights in Rome beyond the Colosseum and Vatican. I have spent weeks in Rome and still find new (and world class) things to see each and every time I visit.

To get started, you might have a look at this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1496996&highlight=rome+lesser+known

And here is a review I did on these boards that is also full of ideas for the "lesser known" Rome sites:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1524426&highlight=rome+lesser+known

Finally, I don't get the whole "Colosseum at Night" thing. Do people not want to see what they are seeing? :confused: Yes, the site is lit at night but not to an extent that you can see it as well as in the daytime. And it was used in the daytime also -- not at night.

Make sure you see Trevi Fountain at night! That is beautiful. If you stay in a central place you can easily walk around to that and the colosseum and see it lit up at night, don't have to go inside.

Edited by trophy_23

I agree...so much to see that you can only skim the surface. Do try to stay in an area that is walkable to the Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps, etc.

We really enjoyed visiting the Borghese Gallery and Gardens and this is a gallery that you need to pre-purchase tickets as they limit the number of visitors...this makes it much nicer and easier to view the gallery.

And don't forget to have a Gelato or two or three:D...our favorite is/was Giolitti Gelateria...old, established, and packed with locals. "Romeing" in Rome is what it's all about. Soak up the culture and take the memories home with you!! Safe travels.

~~Judy

The Pantheon and Piazza Navona are great to see in the day or night.

I like the buzz around Camp di Fiori and the calm of the Trastevere. A stroll to see Santa Maria in Trastevere and then a lunch nearby is idyllic.

At the other end of the scale, the terrace cafe at the Vittoriano Emmanuel is a great stop close to Trevi and overlooks the Forum and Coliseum.

2 days will be another layer of enjoyment.

We return in a few weeks for our 7th or 8th visit.

Edited by helpthejuggler

We did Caesar's Forum at night. It is a laser light show as you walk through a part of the forum that is not open to the general public. It was very interesting as it gave the history of the excavations along with using images superimposed on the ruins to help you visualize what the forum would have been like.