Question -- traveling with wine

gina2edu

What is the best and safest way to travel with wine? We want to bring some with us, but we don't want the bottles to break on the way. Is it better to have them in your checked luggage or your carry-on bags?

icon_smile.gif

Definitely place them in your carry on luggage. No matter how you wrap them or package them, putting them in your checked luggage could end up in disaster. We also take our favorite (as it is made locally) on every cruise, but always in our carry on, never in our checked luggage.

Tahitian Princess 10/14/04

RCI-Legend of the Seas 3/27/05 Panama Canal.

One Phantom Booking still open with Princess.

Wrap them in bubble wrap and carry them in a backpack. If you must pack them in your luggage, pack the whites and carry the reds, if possible. I would absolutely double/triple plastic bag a bottle (wrapped in bubble wrap) in luggage just in case it breaks. Also, consider stopping at a spirits store on you way to the pier and then just carry them from there.

QE2 - 2000

Grand Princess - 2002

Coral Princess - 2004

When I used to fly, I would put the wine in really big zip locks, one each, then wrap each in a thick trash bag and duct tape it!! icon_eek.gif We flew often. Never had a problem. Now we drive over, but I still do it the same way. icon_smile.gif

Sue

7 days on Star Princess 10/24

Yes, you can carry unopened bottles of wine in your carry-on luggage. I got a great padded bag as a freebie for subscribing to a magazine. I never thought it would be useful until I remembered it when packing for our last cruise. It holds two bottles.

Definitely backpack. We bought our wine in Fort Lauderdale the night before. Packed the wine (5 bottles) with bathing suits and wrapped them in nightgowns. DH carried on. Backpack was then used to carry gifts and trinkets back home. Made easy getting thru customs. Everything in one place. I had a small rollon and used this for books, etc.

Grand Princess 4/4/04

Airports have no problem with you carrying on wine as long as they are still sealed. We do it all the time. In fact, anymore, they never even check them. They used to always pull them out to check the seals, but not the last year or so.

Tahitian Princess 10/14/04

RCI-Legend of the Seas 3/27/05 Panama Canal.

One Phantom Booking still open with Princess.

Can you do other alcohol other than wine? Like a sealed bottle of scotch or is it just wine? I love Moet and I notice that's 3 times a bottle what I pay at home, can I bring that in my carry on? That's just way too cool

Wines and champagne can be brought aboard for own consumption. No liquor. Don't forget to pack a corkscrew in cheked luggage. Cannot carryon plane.

I have heard that some folks that drink vodka or gin pour in into water bottles and pack in carryon. Don't know if that is true or not.

We did not find the liquor type drinks that expensive on board.

Grand Princess 4/4/04

• 11 years later...

A lot has changed since the posts in this thread. You can no longer carry wine on board. About a year ago I solved my problem when I found this built for purpose wine suitcase. It has only been on the market since 2014 but it is the answer for those of us who travel to and from our destinations with wine. http://www.vingardevalise.com