Booking on board - Change rate question

sixb0nes

Hello, I am hoping somebody can help me with a question I have. I booked on board my last cruise with Past Guest rate (4 day cruise with $50 OBC). I had every intention to change this booking to a different one as well as change the rate to early saver. I just got off the phone with carnival as I have a 7 day booking in mind for Aug 2017. After I had her go to her supervisor regarding the additional OBC question (she said no at first), I was told that if I switched to early saver I would lose the OBC because I was changing the rate. Has anybody booked on board as past guest, changed the length of the cruise and the rate to early saver with no issues? Thanks for your help!

Call back and talk with someone else. You (or your TA) must call Carnival to change the booking. You will keep the same booking number and the original booking code stays but you can change to any other rate, including Early Saver. The amount of the OBC will change to whatever is appropriate for the new length of cruise, which is $100 for a 7 day cruise.

The key is to make sure that the booking number stays the same.

The OBC for booking on board stays no matter what kind of rate code you eventually end up with. I've done this many times and have another "fake" booking waiting in the wings.

Good luck!

Edited by kicia
Added info

Call back and talk with someone else. You (or your TA) must call Carnival to change the booking. You will keep the same booking number and the original booking code stays but you can change to any other rate, including Early Saver. The amount of the OBC will change to whatever is appropriate for the new length of cruise, which is $100 for a 7 day cruise.

The key is to make sure that the booking number stays the same.

The OBC for booking on board stays no matter what kind of rate code you eventually end up with. I've done this many times and have another "fake" booking waiting in the wings.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info! Maybe I will have better luck calling during the day. My TA tried to have the bookings transferred but was told no because I am Canadian booked in USD and cannot transfer to a European TA. My TA knows that this can be done (a manual override) but gave up arguing with them. If I am not successful, I will cancel these bookings and book on board the Conquest next month but would like to book my next cruise sooner than later. :(

If you have a TA and are using the TA for a certain cruise, only the TA can speak to Carnival about that cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 2 months later...

We are planning on doing this next week and I have a lot of questions. We have booked on board before but always had all our information in advance - when, where and what ship. This time however we don't have anything set in stone just know we are going next fall on Carnival. I will need 3 maybe 4 rooms, 2 with 4 people in the room and another with either 2 or 5. How much information do I have to give? Should I just put 2 people in each room and add the others later since the deposit is per person? Should I reserve the cheapest room on the ship instead of balconies? If I understand correctly I should just reserve rooms for a 3 day cruise because of the lower deposit? How far out can I book. Do they still give vouchers for family and friends? I assume if I get vouchers instead of actually booking the other rooms if we change to a 7 day cruise I will get the $100 on board credit but the others will still only have the $50 vouchers. I know this sounds complicated but the additional savings can really add up. I am guessing that Carnival frowns on this so I can't just sit down with the agent on the ship and figure this out. Once again thank you CC friends!

Edited by R Prim

Hello, I am hoping somebody can help me with a question I have. I booked on board my last cruise with Past Guest rate (4 day cruise with $50 OBC). I had every intention to change this booking to a different one as well as change the rate to early saver. I just got off the phone with carnival as I have a 7 day booking in mind for Aug 2017. After I had her go to her supervisor regarding the additional OBC question (she said no at first), I was told that if I switched to early saver I would lose the OBC because I was changing the rate. Has anybody booked on board as past guest, changed the length of the cruise and the rate to early saver with no issues? Thanks for your help!

Was the $50 OBC that the CSR said you would lose from booking on board, or was it attached to the Past Guest Rate.

I read your original post to say that you booked a "Past Guest Rate" for a "4 day cruise with $50 OBC". If the Past Guest Rate you originally booked had an additional $50 OBC, changing to Early Saver (unless it comes with OBC) will negate that OBC.

You should without question keep your OBC for booking while on board, but changing rates would change any OBC attached to the original rate unless the new rate comes with the same OBC.

Was the $50 OBC that the CSR said you would lose from booking on board, or was it attached to the Past Guest Rate.

I read your original post to say that you booked a "Past Guest Rate" for a "4 day cruise with $50 OBC". If the Past Guest Rate you originally booked had an additional $50 OBC, changing to Early Saver (unless it comes with OBC) will negate that OBC.

You should without question keep your OBC for booking while on board, but changing rates would change any OBC attached to the original rate unless the new rate comes with the same OBC.

This is 100% correct. Yet another reason I use a PVP. OP, since you have not transferred your cruise to your TA. Call back and get it straightened out.

The $50 OBC was from booking on board - there was no other OBC incentive for booking past guest rate. From reading on the boards, changing the rate and/or duration would not negate the OBC. I tried to transfer this booking to my TA and even though she knew it could be done, Carnival was putting up road blocks. They would allow her to cancel the bookings and rebook to a 7 day in March 2017 at early saver rate and I went from $50 to $100 OBC. In addition when I rebooked, Carnival had a promo and I received an additional $50 OBC. In the future, when I book on board, I will have it booked under my TA, that way when I go to change it in the future, I will not have any issue with changing the rate or the duration.

We are planning on doing this next week and I have a lot of questions. We have booked on board before but always had all our information in advance - when, where and what ship. This time however we don't have anything set in stone just know we are going next fall on Carnival. I will need 3 maybe 4 rooms, 2 with 4 people in the room and another with either 2 or 5. How much information do I have to give? Should I just put 2 people in each room and add the others later since the deposit is per person? Should I reserve the cheapest room on the ship instead of balconies? If I understand correctly I should just reserve rooms for a 3 day cruise because of the lower deposit? How far out can I book. Do they still give vouchers for family and friends? I assume if I get vouchers instead of actually booking the other rooms if we change to a 7 day cruise I will get the $100 on board credit but the others will still only have the $50 vouchers. I know this sounds complicated but the additional savings can really add up. I am guessing that Carnival frowns on this so I can't just sit down with the agent on the ship and figure this out. Once again thank you CC friends!

I don't know how friends and family vouchers work as I have never used them even when we have booked a 'real' trip. Maybe somebody who has changed their bookings afterwards can shed some light on this.

The $50 OBC was from booking on board - there was no other OBC incentive for booking past guest rate. From reading on the boards, changing the rate and/or duration would not negate the OBC. I tried to transfer this booking to my TA and even though she knew it could be done, Carnival was putting up road blocks. They would allow her to cancel the bookings and rebook to a 7 day in March 2017 at early saver rate and I went from $50 to $100 OBC. In addition when I rebooked, Carnival had a promo and I received an additional $50 OBC. In the future, when I book on board, I will have it booked under my TA, that way when I go to change it in the future, I will not have any issue with changing the rate or the duration.

Sounds like you came out better, but I still think they denied your on board booking OBC wrongfully. Not sure about transferring the booking.

Thanks for clarifying for me.