things not to miss on Pacific Sun

kaseyoz

I was just checking out my photos again and thought of a couple more things to post about. Maybe others can add their own must do/see things.

On sailaway, look at the bridge well before you go under it. If you look at the far right side , it looks like the road is actually moving across instead of the ship. This is a weird feeling and as I was filming i had to keep stopping and checking it out.

On your return to sydney get up early and watch the sunrise and the arrival back into the heads. Well worth it. I got up at 5.15am but it will be daylight saving so you will need to check out times. It was cold up there, many had their blankets around them. I thought there would be just a few but there was hundreds. Breakfast was there also so you could get a wonderful cup of coffee/tea.

I was by myself tea in hand watching a wonderful sunrise coming into the best place in the world, it brought a lump to my thoat.What a way to end a wonderful holiday.

There is an adut only deck which is a huge area. It is enclosed on all sides so if it is a bit windy it may be better. Strange thing is , i tried to find it the last day to take photos but couldnt find how to get there....lucky we went on the first day when no chairs were there and took some photos. I dont know if this is topless or not.:)

I dont mind the noise and activity of the pool area

One more things, I dont know if everyone knows this but the money you spend on board can be put on your bankcard as a purchase not cash advance. This may help those going so close to christmas and all adds up if you have frequent flyers on your card!

any other not to miss stuff.

karon

Hi Karon,

The trip out of the heads was stunning wasn't it.. certainly something to remember.

I watched a couple of sunrises on the sky last year after being up all night. It was quite funny the conversations we had with the older crowd who were getting up and we were sitting up on deck or in the pizzeria (the only thing open from like 4-6am) enjoying a coffee and pastry. They were astonished that we had been up so long.

I will definately be awake for the trip into the heads this year in January, the only question is whether i would have slept during the night or not!!

Im excited to be checking out the sun, it looks really new compared to the sky even though they are similiar ages.

Cheers,

Dan

Karon, how I agree with you. Have you noticed all the bridge climbers as well waving madly??

We tried to stay up all night on both our cruises, made it 3.30am. Got up at 5am and yes there lots of cruisers out waiting for the sunrise. Watching it go from darkness to the most beautful orange/yellow sunrise.......ummmmmm ahhhh the memories. I love looking back at my photos, makes it seem like yesterday and not 4 & 3 years ago since we last went....... Kerri

Karon, how I agree with you. Have you noticed all the bridge climbers as well waving madly??

We tried to stay up all night on both our cruises, made it 3.30am. Got up at 5am and yes there lots of cruisers out waiting for the sunrise. Watching it go from darkness to the most beautful orange/yellow sunrise.......ummmmmm ahhhh the memories. I love looking back at my photos, makes it seem like yesterday and not 4 & 3 years ago since we last went....... Kerri

Cruiselover,

You need more commitment. 3.30 is too early for bed!! If you were committed you would have made it!!

But the sunrises are spectacular!! and totally worth it.

Cheers,

Dan

Aren't the heads just beautiful at sunset, especially with the Bridge in the background. The sunsets at the islands was something else as well. We were usually the last at our dinner table because of this. I remember the sunset at Noumea as being one of the best I've ever seen. Caught it beautifully on camera also. It was so good that I had it enlarged and people wanted to know where I had bought the picture!! Very proud of that photo.:D :D :D Champagne Bay also had a magnificant sunset after it drizzled most of the day (oh what a beautiful island that one is. It is my husbands favorite island).:) :)

Cruiselover,

You need more commitment. 3.30 is too early for bed!! If you were committed you would have made it!!

But the sunrises are spectacular!! and totally worth it.

Cheers,

Dan

Dan, lol lol, no matter how hard we tried to stay awake we failed, so figured bed was a better option for a couple of hours. We partied hard whilst on the cruise - burnt the candle at both ends you could say - but hubby and I decided that we would catch up on our sleep when we got back home. The kids (15 & 13) where in bed before us every night, our average time to bed would be around 4am, not bad for 40ish's hey!!!!!

You could say we were going home for a rest!!!! lol lol lol. But we sure did have a ball and met some fabulous people of all ages.:) :) :) :p

Dan, didn't I see somewhere that you're only 25???

So you should be up all night!!!!! lol lol

Kerri

Yep 25, (24 on both cruises). Managed to survive 4 nights (5 days) on the sky last year with only a combined sleep of 10 hours!!

needless to say we got to Auckland and I slept the entire day, then boarded a plane back to Sydney and slept and then got home and slept.

Then went to work.

I have learnt that cruises arent relaxing they are a hectic full on time.. and I LOVE IT!!

Cheers,

Dan

On cruises out of Brisbane, the ships arrive in Noumea in the afternoon. On my first cruise on Sky, we were running late, and we arrived just on Sunset. I have some lovely photo's of the sun setting over the harbour in Noumea as we we arriving at the passenger terminal. Some of the best photo's I took on that cruise. When I get time I'll upload some to my webshots page.

When we left Sydney on Sun in June, being the middle of winter, it was nearly dark as we sailed out past the Opera House, but it was a lovely sight. Didn't see the heads going out as by the time we got there it was completely dark, but managed to get up early enough to see the on the way back in.

There's nothing like a sunrise/sunset at sea - I took quite a lot of photos on both cruises.

Kym

Aren't the heads just beautiful at sunset, especially with the Bridge in the background. The sunsets at the islands was something else as well. We were usually the last at our dinner table because of this. I remember the sunset at Noumea as being one of the best I've ever seen. Caught it beautifully on camera also. It was so good that I had it enlarged and people wanted to know where I had bought the picture!! Very proud of that photo.:D :D :D Champagne Bay also had a magnificant sunset after it drizzled most of the day (oh what a beautiful island that one is. It is my husbands favorite island).:) :)

Don't miss the ice carving and the fruit and vegetable carving. You'll see the finished product all over the restaurants and dining rooms - but to see how they are actually done - and the skill involved - is a must.

I was just checking out my photos again and thought of a couple more things to post about. Maybe others can add their own must do/see things.

On sailaway, look at the bridge well before you go under it. If you look at the far right side , it looks like the road is actually moving across instead of the ship. This is a weird feeling and as I was filming i had to keep stopping and checking it out.

On your return to sydney get up early and watch the sunrise and the arrival back into the heads. Well worth it. I got up at 5.15am but it will be daylight saving so you will need to check out times. It was cold up there, many had their blankets around them. I thought there would be just a few but there was hundreds. Breakfast was there also so you could get a wonderful cup of coffee/tea.

I was by myself tea in hand watching a wonderful sunrise coming into the best place in the world, it brought a lump to my thoat.What a way to end a wonderful holiday.

There is an adut only deck which is a huge area. It is enclosed on all sides so if it is a bit windy it may be better. Strange thing is , i tried to find it the last day to take photos but couldnt find how to get there....lucky we went on the first day when no chairs were there and took some photos. I dont know if this is topless or not.:)

I dont mind the noise and activity of the pool area

One more things, I dont know if everyone knows this but the money you spend on board can be put on your bankcard as a purchase not cash advance. This may help those going so close to christmas and all adds up if you have frequent flyers on your card!

any other not to miss stuff.

karon

Can someone tell me what kind of shows they have of a night time and how long they go for? Also do they have them every night?

Does it cost for breakfast to be bought to the room if your sleeping in? ( I know with a 2yr old sleeping in doesnt happen much) dreaming!

they have shows every night, but are repeated for a couple of nights.. some shows were a bit strange, but the magic show i saw was great.. sorry, not sure about breakfast but the buffet is on till about 11 so get up at 10:45 an your right.. if not just have lunch an hour later:p

On our cruise they didnt repeat the shows (10 days)but they do show them twice on the same night for later diners.

i agree some of the shows were a bit hoohum.

You can order breakfast in the room. I did this for my morning tea as i am an early riser. It is free. We left the automatic tip in place but you may need to tip for this if you dont have it......

Luvvin u2....sleeping in for me is 7.30, yes even on holiday and even after a big night...(midnight) i just cant stay asleep.

You party animals are just going out at that time.!!!LOL

I would suggest you don't miss the passenger "involvement" shows like "Perfect Match" and "The Marriage Game". Sea horse racing is a lot of fun as are the trivia comps. Bingo is a bit of a laugh too with the chance to win some real cash or a goofy prize.

I enjoyed the shows even though I have seen a number of them a few times (I think I have seen G'Day G'Day about 4 times now on both the Sky & Sun!). The evening shows only go for about 1 hour and as someone has already stated are repeated each night for both dinner sittings. On the Aussie ships they do not usually repeat the shows. We usually go to the first show to size up the guest entertainers to decide if we want to see their shows. Also don't miss the passenger entertainment shows on the Sky, it's hilarious especially if you know someone in it (my uncle was in Sweet Transvestite and it still makes me chuckle when I think about it!).

All in all a great lot of things to do, or you can choose to do absolutely nothing at all!!

Cheers,

Chaz:)

The main shows are on twice a night - following each dinner sitting, and go for about 1 hr. On our 10 night cruise there were 3 production shows, 1 introduction show (on the first night - to introduce all the entertainers), 2 guest performers (one singer, one magician), a stand up show by Deputy Cruise Director Demo, an audience participation stage show, an audience participation talent show, and one night there wasn't any show - they showed a movie.

Continental breakfasts are delivered free to the cabin. A bit like a hotel, you just pop the order on the door handle the night before, and your cabin steward will take care of it.

Kym

Can someone tell me what kind of shows they have of a night time and how long they go for? Also do they have them every night?

Does it cost for breakfast to be bought to the room if your sleeping in? ( I know with a 2yr old sleeping in doesnt happen much) dreaming!

Thanks for all your posts. my only problem would be that we will have our 2 yr old with us so basically if the shows go later than 9.30pm I read somewhere that no children allowed which is starting to worry me now as I will have no choice but to go to bed early every night and not do anything! Any thoughts on this one and is this the case?

Anissa

Dont worry:). Your 2yr old can stay with you after 9.30.

It states in the P&O paperwork

"children are not permitted to freely roam around the ship after 9.30"

"Children must be under parental supervision if attending any of the ships theatre shows"

Some nights we would pick the kids up from the kids clubs and go to the terraces lounge to listen to the P&O band and have a few drinks.

Kazza

I was wondering as well.

After the kids club finishes at 10pm can a 10yo go with you to the bars?

Or are there certain areas they can and cant go?

I had recolections of kids (8-15) in legends after 10pm on the sky last year. I think i remember them even sitting at the bar with their parents?

Or was a little out of it at the time??

Cheers,

Dan

Dan

I cant stop laughing. After reading your other posts, I have this picture in my head of you and your brother waaaaay out of it after tooooo many drinks, seeing kids aged 8-15 sitting at the bar throwing down shots. LOL:D .

Your nephew can alway go to the cabin after 10pm and watch a movie or stay in the kids club till 1am with other kids and watch a movie together.

Kazza

I dont think you have the right impression of me.

You may have me confused with my evil twin "Nathan" who sometimes high jacks my user account and may have given you this impression.

I didnt say they were throwing down shots... although they may have been.

I didnt think i was that out of it. Especially not at 10pm.. if it was 2 or 3 am its possibility.. I mean Nathan may have been drunk.. I certainly wasnt.

I'll be quiet now.

Dan

Archived