Torn on Excursions

theprincessfromohio

We are sailing in May 2017 on Carnival, celebrating hubby's 50th birthday. He is a water bug, loves fish, doesn't mind creatures swimming around him.

I am not a strong swimmer, have never been snorkeling, get creeped out when seaweed touches me, let alone a fish.

I am reviewing the excursions offered through Carnival (I have talked myself into doing a ship tour after reading all of the reasons why on here), and I can't decide between cave tubing and snorkeling.

I think perhaps he would enjoy snorkeling more, and I am afraid of being a big weenie and not getting out of the boat lol.

The one excursion that catches my eye on Carnival is the Shark, Rays, Barrier Reef Island one.

Thoughts? Would a weaker swimmer be ok on this excursion?

IF you're cruise includes Grand Cayman or Roatan, save the snorkeling for one of those places.

Cave tubing is such a unique experience. We just got back Sunday from a 7 day on the Dream. You will like and feel save cave tubing. The river is shallow and all you have to do is sit in the tube. The guide does the hard part. If you do fall in, you'll be standing up. At worst, the water will be slightly over your head but you have on a life preserver.

Depending on your tour operator, you might have to carry your tube on the mile long walk through the jungle but that is the only strenuous part of the deal. Live a little -- there are other opportunities on the cruise / other ports to be pampered.

And you will love the snorkeling in one of those other ports. Oh, and don't go in a boat. Go in from the beach which is more suited to a nervous swimmer anyway. The boats, for the most part, dump people off right in front of perfectly good public beaches. You can buy some snorkel gear in the states or rent it pretty cheap on any beach.

And while I'm at it, may I suggest you at least consider an independent tour operator if you do decide to cave tube? All you do is walk a few more yards through the terminal 1 door and your guide will be right there waiting for you. We just did this and I can assure you that you'll be fine.

Happy cruising.:D

We just did the sharks/rays/snorkeling excursion you mentioned. You would be fine, one person even stayed on the boat the whole time so you don't have to get out if you don't want to. You have a life jacket on also. The area where the rays are is shallow - you can stand up, but they might touch you so you might prefer to watch from the boat.

Our disappointment was the time allowed - only 30 min snorkeling/30 min with rays/sharks, and a whole lot of travel time/wasted time waiting around. I would recommend a private tour also, where you can cater it to what you are comfortable with!

Edited by lwscrs

Cave-tubing in Belize is a bit different than tubing the Mohican. But, if that's not really your thing, I think a Shark Ray Alley type excursion that stops at Caye Caulker fro lunch and a short visit, would probably suit both of you.

Your other "popular" excursion would be to one of the Maya ruins where, unlike on the Yucatan, you can climb the temples. Altun Ha is closest and if you book a private tour you might be able to talk the driver into stopping at the colorful Belize sign, Admiral Bay for a nice seafood lunch along the water and Travellers Liquors for their One Barrel Rum tour. Along on the way back from the ruins. You can be off the ship by 9AM and catching a tender back by 1PM or 2PM, depending on how long you linger at each stop.

Shark Ray Alley and Island is the best excursion in the Caribbean. The best I have seen anyways. AMAZING! The island is Caye Caulker is I have spent a lot of time on that island. I love it. As for the snorkeling, easy to do and it is the Hol Chan Reserve. People from all around the world come to Belize to snorkel or dive in that are (along with the Coral Gardens).

Not to be missed. I have sent a lot of people on that excursion and all of them came back with nothing but high praises for it. It is what you do when you go to Belize. Best attraction there.

Also, you do not have to order food or eat with the group. There are many better choices and cheaper choices on Caye Caulker. You will have plenty of time to eat. Also, head over to the Split. That is a major hangout with some very cool vibes. Enjoy!

Edited by BrotherCraig

Since your husband loves to snorkel, seriously consider doing it in Belize because it's awesome snorkeling.

You do not have even have to snorkel.

Our last time there, I just wore a simple swim mask and still saw lots of colorful fish.