Fitbit charging....

I've never charged mine on a computer either...and have never had a problem.

The only issue on my cruise was the ability to sync it up to my phone. We don't buy any internet access so no network to 'carry' the signal. I wondered how long it would 'hold' the data as our cruise was 10 nights...but it was just fine. After we docked in FLL at the end of the trip and I had a network signal, I hit 'sync' and it was all there.

It did take a while to get all the data transferred, but it was fun to look back and see just how much activity I had logged.

Thanks...I just got it and don't want to ruin it. I just won't be able to link it to my computer.

Gwen [emoji3]

No problem. Just don't forget to take it off before you go snorkeling, like I did... :eek: They can take getting a little wet, but being totally submerged in salt water - not good.

No problem. Just don't forget to take it off before you go snorkeling, like I did... :eek: They can take getting a little wet, but being totally submerged in salt water - not good.

Thanks...but I only like being "on the water", not in it. I know, it's silly, but I'm not a water baby, but do love being on the ship and watching the deep blue sea as the world goes by.....nothing more relaxing than that.

Gwen :)

that's interesting that it doesn't sync. i just got one and love it. if you have the ship wifi package, wouldn't it sync?

Yes, the device it's plugged into needs internet access to sync.

I've never charged mine on a computer either...and have never had a problem.

The only issue on my cruise was the ability to sync it up to my phone. We don't buy any internet access so no network to 'carry' the signal. I wondered how long it would 'hold' the data as our cruise was 10 nights...but it was just fine. After we docked in FLL at the end of the trip and I had a network signal, I hit 'sync' and it was all there.

It did take a while to get all the data transferred, but it was fun to look back and see just how much activity I had logged.

I had this same problem a few years ago, because it would not sync, if I turned off WIFI or had the phone in airplane mode. I thought Bluetooth would work on its own, but it would not. Last few cruises, I've had a newer Ipad (Ipad Air 2) which has Bluetooth, and it would synch my data. But on my iPhone, it needs wifi enabled for the Bluetooth to work. I don't get why this is.

To sync it you need the dongle. It will hold information for 30 days, just not the daily stats. When you get back home sync it, it will be fine. We just did this in May when we went to Europe, everything was fine. :cool:

Not sure, but I think it may depend on what kind of Fitbit you have. i have a ONE, so i need the dongle to charge it. The dongle (love that word!) plugs into a generic USB charger. This is the only way I charge my ONE and I have never had a problem with it. Other devices may charge differently.

Edited by Queen of Oakville

Not sure, but I think it may depend on what kind of Fitbit you have. i have a ONE, so i need the dongle to charge it. The dongle (love that word!) plugs into a generic USB charger. This is the only way I charge my ONE and I have never had a problem with it. Other devices may charge differently.

I keep my dongle with me all the time. You never know when it might be needed. Most of the time I just keep it tucked away, though.

DH always charges his with an AC adaptor. That being said, his Fitbit is toast after our last cruise. It will no longer hold a charge at all. While looking online it seems that this is a common problem with them over time, and they are replacing it because it is still under warranty. However, the problem started after our day at the beach on Grand Cayman. It was July and incredibly hot. I am wondering if several hours exposed to the heat is to blame. He had a really bad blister on his wrist where it was as well. I know that some batteries have been known to do that with the Fitbits. My iPod wouldn't work that day either. It shut down because it was too hot. Just something to think about if you are going to be where it is super warm.

DH always charges his with an AC adaptor. That being said, his Fitbit is toast after our last cruise. It will no longer hold a charge at all. While looking online it seems that this is a common problem with them over time, and they are replacing it because it is still under warranty. However, the problem started after our day at the beach on Grand Cayman. It was July and incredibly hot. I am wondering if several hours exposed to the heat is to blame. He had a really bad blister on his wrist where it was as well. I know that some batteries have been known to do that with the Fitbits. My iPod wouldn't work that day either. It shut down because it was too hot. Just something to think about if you are going to be where it is super warm.

I had this happen with my iPad while using it to film our kids on the Flowrider. I got a message that it was shutting down because it was overheated. I was so worried, but it was fine once I took it back to the cabin and let it cool down. I've never had that happen again.

I have the "one" too. I use my dongle to charge it.....(ha, ha, ha- a man must have named it :p). The directions just said to charge it on a computer. Just wanted to make sure it won't ruin it, plugging it into a wall outlet. Something about too much current on a wall outlet. I am electrically challenged, so just wanted to ask.

Gwen :)

The little bluetooth receiver that you plug into your PC in order to sync you Fitbit. If you have a smartphone, you can sync with your phone and don't need the dongle.

Apparently I used the wrong term. I must just like saying/typing Dongle. lol.

A dongle is the Bluetooth adapter you plug into your computer. I was referring to the charging cable. Sorry the image is so large!

simple.b-cssdisabled-png.hecc5beccbca09becd359766625d4c057.pack?items=%2Fcontent%2Fassets%2Fpip%2Fimages%2Faccessories%2Fone_chargingcable.png

We love our fitbits and feel naked without them. We brought them on our last cruise and they charged just fine from the wall outlet. However, a couple days into the cruise we found them to be a hassle and ultimately left them off. For a young couple, we must be old fashioned. We dressed up for formal night and would wear to dinner what one would for a country club. After dinner, who wants to go to the cabin and hook yourself back up? We decided in the end we were on a cruise and didn't need to be monitored, although we kept 1 promise. Always take the stairs.

Edited by warezbabe

We love our fitbits and feel naked without them. We brought them on our last cruise and they charged just fine from the wall outlet. However, a couple days into the cruise we found them to be a hassle and ultimately left them off. For a young couple, we must be old fashioned. We dressed up for formal night and would wear to dinner what one would for a country club. After dinner, who wants to go to the cabin and hook yourself back up? We decided in the end we were on a cruise and didn't need to be monitored, although we kept 1 promise. Always take the stairs.

What could be better for a young couple than going back to the cabin after dinner and hooking up?