$$$ Seattle Hotels?

We stayed at the Best Western Pioneer Square Hotel. The hotel warned us about going out after dark. Next time we will stay at SEATAC. Seattle was the filthiest city I have ever seen. Feces on the sidewalks, tons of homeless and crazy people. It seemed like it was better 5 blocks north where all of the major hotels are located but for the price I will be staying at Sea TAC, you can a room and a rental car, half what it would cost you downtown.

Seriously??? Feces on the sidewalks .. I was told Seattle was nice. In in way i'm glad that I'm bypassing Seattle and doing Anchorage to Vancouver, hope that's the thing there.. I'll be so disappointed.

To be fair, Seattle downtown probably isn't any worse than any other major city downtown - but I'm glad I plan to stay near the airport anyway. (Totally different reasons, just want to try to vanpool to the port with the rest of the family coming in at different times, figured it would be easier to shuttle to a nearby hotel, sleep, then shuttle back to the airport when they arrive.)

To be fair, Seattle downtown probably isn't any worse than any other major city downtown - but I'm glad I plan to stay near the airport anyway. (Totally different reasons, just want to try to vanpool to the port with the rest of the family coming in at different times, figured it would be easier to shuttle to a nearby hotel, sleep, then shuttle back to the airport when they arrive.)

You don't need to be fair... it's completely true that downtown Seattle is a disgusting craphole. We have a hand-wringing mayor who only wants to put in bike lanes and paint rainbow sidewalks, and an ultra-liberal City Council who want to give the homeless squatters rights, be allowed to camp on city property, and a 30 day eviction period!! It got pretty heated at a public hearing 2 days ago!!

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/homeless-camping-prompts-emotional-seattle-city-hall-hearing/

Herfnerd, if there are things you have your heart set on seeing while in downtown Seattle, then this is a good budget hotel with decent location. If however you were planning on visiting Mt. Rainier or the Quinault rain forest, or anything else not in downtown, then you could just as easily stay outside of the downtown area for less. It's true that our city has some major issues to work on right now, but they are trying to address them. I just feel bad for people coming to our city with high expectations of the "Emerald City" and finding the mess we have instead.

Herfnerd, if there are things you have your heart set on seeing while in downtown Seattle, then this is a good budget hotel with decent location. If however you were planning on visiting Mt. Rainier or the Quinault rain forest, or anything else not in downtown, then you could just as easily stay outside of the downtown area for less. It's true that our city has some major issues to work on right now, but they are trying to address them. I just feel bad for people coming to our city with high expectations of the "Emerald City" and finding the mess we have instead.

oh boy!!!

so where do you SUGGEST staying for the visitors :D

I think we mainly wanted to visit Pike Place Market, the Space Needle and other downtown attractions - since it's so far out, we really haven't considered what we wanted to see/do yet. I guess if we decide on visiting Rainier or the Rain Forest, we'll have to reconsider where we want to stay.

We won't have a car and counting on the light rail to get us to Sea-Tac. Our ship disembarks on a Saturday morning and we are planning on flying home Monday.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been researching Seattle hotels in anticipation of an Alaska Cruise in 2019. What I found is jaw dropping. Are Seattle hotels always so expensive? Where is a good area to stay? DH has some mobility issues so want to be convenient to restaurants and other attractions.

Thank you!

We booked our hotel a year in advance (direct with the hotel and could cancel) and feel we did ok.(120.00) We stayed at the Roosevelt which was downtown and very walkable to the market and shopping. It was also close to the link station so we took the train in from the station.

Loved seattle and worth spending the time there.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

oh boy!!!

so where do you SUGGEST staying for the visitors :D

LOL... I know it seems like there wouldn't be anywhere else left to stay but downtown.. but really, if you want to do the "touristy" things... Space Needle, Pike Place Market, waterfront, etc. you could literally stay anywhere right outside Seattle and either ride the light rail in, or take a bus. Buses in and out of Seattle are pretty frequent and plentiful.

For people who really want to stay downtown for convenience, the area around Upper Queen Anne isn't too bad and there are a couple of older nice affordable hotels there as well. Marqueen hotel and Mediterranean Inn come to mind. The closer you stay to Pike Place, the less desirable the "neighborhood" becomes IMHO.

I too will avoid the political comments about the situation in the City of Seattle but will comment on my overnight stay in September at the Moore hotel - I choose this hotel based on a recommendation of a fellow CC'er who stays there fairly often.

After getting off the train at King Street station I proceeded to walk through Pioneer Square to the waterfront and lunch at Ivar's then up the stairs - yes i walked up them to Pike Place Market an finally to the hotel.

I was pleasantly surprise about how well kept it was - the owners obviously take great pride in their property.

I had a room with a shower - some don't - on the sixth floor overlooking the side street.

There was a concert on that night in the adjoining Moore Theater but I didn't notice any noise etc.

Over the course of that day and into the next before heading to Pier 91 I walked many of the streets in the downtown core - did I see street people - of course - was I scared - no not really - I live one block from the heart of the entertainment district on Granville - a street with lots of homeless and home to at least 4 mental health housing buildings so perhaps like Martincath who also lives near the downtown core we see these issues as no big deal BUT for someone perhaps not from a larger urban area they would have more concerns.

Also agree with MartinCath that the area around Pacific Central Station has improve over the past few years likely due to the growth of the Olympic Village and all the new developments in that area.

Next time in Seattle I will book the Moore hotel.

Just my thoughts on this discussion.

Cheers!

Dennis

I too will avoid the political comments about the situation in the City of Seattle but will comment on my overnight stay in September at the Moore hotel - I choose this hotel based on a recommendation of a fellow CC'er who stays there fairly often.

After getting off the train at King Street station I proceeded to walk through Pioneer Square to the waterfront and lunch at Ivar's then up the stairs - yes i walked up them to Pike Place Market an finally to the hotel.

I was pleasantly surprise about how well kept it was - the owners obviously take great pride in their property.

I had a room with a shower - some don't - on the sixth floor overlooking the side street.

There was a concert on that night in the adjoining Moore Theater but I didn't notice any noise etc.

Over the course of that day and into the next before heading to Pier 91 I walked many of the streets in the downtown core - did I see street people - of course - was I scared - no not really - I live one block from the heart of the entertainment district on Granville - a street with lots of homeless and home to at least 4 mental health housing buildings so perhaps like Martincath who also lives near the downtown core we see these issues as no big deal BUT for someone perhaps not from a larger urban area they would have more concerns.

Also agree with MartinCath that the area around Pacific Central Station has improve over the past few years likely due to the growth of the Olympic Village and all the new developments in that area.

Next time in Seattle I will book the Moore hotel.

Just my thoughts on this discussion.

Cheers!

Dennis

Thanx for reassuring us, Dennis! We are staying there next September for a couple of nights post cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

LOL... I know it seems like there wouldn't be anywhere else left to stay but downtown.. but really, if you want to do the "touristy" things... Space Needle, Pike Place Market, waterfront, etc. you could literally stay anywhere right outside Seattle and either ride the light rail in, or take a bus. Buses in and out of Seattle are pretty frequent and plentiful.

For people who really want to stay downtown for convenience, the area around Upper Queen Anne isn't too bad and there are a couple of older nice affordable hotels there as well. Marqueen hotel and Mediterranean Inn come to mind. The closer you stay to Pike Place, the less desirable the "neighborhood" becomes IMHO.

Hi,we were originally booked at the Marqueen before we changed for the Sleepinn.Glad we did,we drove past it on the HOHO trolley and there were tramps galore on the opposite corner, cheers,Brian.

Hi,we were originally booked at the Marqueen before we changed for the Sleepinn.Glad we did,we drove past it on the HOHO trolley and there were tramps galore on the opposite corner, cheers,Brian.

Sorry to hear that, it was always a great area to stay. Sadly the Seattle "sprawl" is everywhere. You can't have 5000 homeless all in one area of the city.

I booked the Hampton Inn Downtown Seattle for our precruise hotel. I have been reading the boards for months. I was planning a hotel at SEATAC but figured for 2 nights it wasn't worth travelling back & forth.

SpeediShuttle booked from SEATAC to downtown.

We are cruising May 2017 and we have booked the TownePlace Suites at Seattle Southcenter (Kent). It was only $88 per night and has a hot breakfast buffet. We will get there Friday night and plan to tour Snoqualmie Falls on Saturday. Then sail out on Sunday. This is our first cruise and so excited!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For those of you who stayed at the Moore Hotel, any recent experiences? I have read a lot and most of the reviews are that it is a great budget hotel, clean and great location.

I am flying to Seattle for a cruise out of Vancouver. Basically, I have a day in Seattle before I get the Amtrak to Vancouver the next morning. All I need is a clean, affordable, basic hotel with great location and to know what I'm getting (I've used Hotwire and Priceline, but they scare me in some cities) and this sounds right up my alley. Add the great coffee and historical aspect!

Did you book right through the hotel website?

We are cruising May 2017 and we have booked the TownePlace Suites at Seattle Southcenter (Kent). It was only $88 per night and has a hot breakfast buffet. We will get there Friday night and plan to tour Snoqualmie Falls on Saturday. Then sail out on Sunday. This is our first cruise and so excited!

What kind of transportation are you planning on using being so far out? We don't mind staying out of town but need reasonable transportation to port and downtown area.

Sent from my VIVO XL using Forums mobile app

What kind of transportation are you planning on using being so far out? We don't mind staying out of town but need reasonable transportation to port and downtown area.

Sent from my VIVO XL using Forums mobile app

The TownePlace has a free shuttle from the airport. I think we can take the light rail to Pike Place which is were we will get on the tour. And, not sure about Sunday, maybe Uber to take us to Pier 91

• 2 months later...
I rented an apartment at union st and western ave for 2 nights before my cruise. Can you guys tell me what you think about the location, it's safe?

You should be fine. There's a storage place there that has security walking around. And your right by the walkway to Waterfront.

I rented an apartment at union st and western ave for 2 nights before my cruise. Can you guys tell me what you think about the location, it's safe?

It's an OK area. You want to be real careful after dark.