Carnival hub app - probably a dumb question

Hey all! I am really interested in the carnival hub thing for my group of 9. However, none of my family - except my niece - have smart phones. I'm wondering if I buy a tract phone that's wifi enabled, but don't set it up as a PHONE (hence no phone number), would I be able to use those? Or is a phone number a necessity?

Also, is there a way to add more people to your group that have added it? Say I wanted to add the people from CC or FB group? Is that possible, or no?

If it runs Android, you can download the Hub app.

If you buy a TracFone, you will probably need a service plan just to use it at all, at least for one month. You may be better off finding an inexpensive Android tablet - you can get 7" and 8" tablets for less than $50, and the screens really aren't much larger than some smartphones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it runs Android, you can download the Hub app.

If you buy a TracFone, you will probably need a service plan just to use it at all, at least for one month. You may be better off finding an inexpensive Android tablet - you can get 7" and 8" tablets for less than $50, and the screens really aren't much larger than some smartphones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 2 kids with a nexus, 2 with a kindle fire... I have an ancient ipad that's a glorified kindle reader and paperweight. I'll look and see if we can add the app onto those. I just wasn't sure if they'd want to carry them around with them. I guess they could always check them when they run back to the rooms. The reason I was thinking about the phone - my brother has a pay as you go type phone, and he's never set it up with a phone number. But he can use it for data if he's in a spot with wifi..

Edited by Ready2Cruise2016

You may also be able to find some cheap phones on ebay to use.

Having a phone number is not necessary, but being able to download the app from the google play store is a must.

**I've read that some prepaid phones will not work until you activate them (as in you cannot download anything from the app store)

I was checking out the app on my iPad and I'm very unhappy that our ship (Conquest) is not yet supported by the app. I bought the kids android trac phones because everyone said use the app instead of walkee talkees and now I find out it's not even going to work. I left a message on carnivals social media page and hopefully they can give me a ETA on when the app will be effective. Hopefully before our cruise in September.

Edited by Lorrie458

Well not good news. Carnival just got back to me and here was their responce. Incase anyone else planned on using the app to keep in touch with family. Looks like we will be looking into walkee talkies after all :-(

On board the Carnival Breeze, Carnival Ecstasy, Carnival Freedom, Carnival Glory, Carnival Paradise, Carnival Pride, Carnival Sunshine, Carnival Triumph and Carnival Vista.

The remainder of the fleet will be within the next 12 to 18 months. The latest update the app will be available on the Carnival Imagination on August 4 and Carnival Valor on August 19. -Mary

Having a phone number is not necessary, but being able to download the app from the google play store is a must.

**I've read that some prepaid phones will not work until you activate them (as in you cannot download anything from the app store)

Also.....

Some phones require a SIM card to work. To use our iPhone 4 as an iPod it needs a SIM card. Doesn't need a number or to be activated, just physically needs the card.

We got one at our local ATT store.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

Just switched companies to Total Wireless. While waiting for the numbers tp transfer we had wi fi on them and could download all our apps we needed. Also when my son let his plan run out, we could still talk using Facebook Messenger text or voice with just the wifi.

I was checking out the app on my iPad and I'm very unhappy that our ship (Conquest) is not yet supported by the app. I bought the kids android trac phones because everyone said use the app instead of walkee talkees and now I find out it's not even going to work. I left a message on carnivals social media page and hopefully they can give me a ETA on when the app will be effective. Hopefully before our cruise in September.

You can get the internet package that allows for Facebook Messenger and use that.

Thank you everyone!! We'll be on the Breeze, which has the app.

I'll look into finding some cheap alternatives for phones. I appreciate all the feedback and ideas!

My daughter found some on-line black friday deal and got really nice cell phones for her three kids for $15 each that we loaded the app on and put movies and games onto them. Only work with wi-fi because they are not activated as a phone. She was limited to one per sale so her brother and I each had to order one so the three kids would each have one. They were a "last year's model" but 7 year olds really don't care! This type of device also allows the What's App that allows wi-fi texting so my oldest grandson (12) uses it to contact us when he is ready to be picked up from school and can use it anytime there is free wi-fi.

Edited by isaiahsnana