Breakaway July 17-24, 2016 Haven spa suite review

Hi all,

I just got back from this cruise and wanted to share the highlights and lowlights. As background, I have cruised Disney 2 times, RCL once, Celebrity once, Carnivalonce and NCL 4 times. In fact, I did the Breakaway in September with my hubby and kids and had such a great time we convinced our friends to do an adult only vacation on the ship. So that's what we did.

It was my best friend, her hubby, my hubby and me. We booked inside cabins and as it got closer, we upsold to haven spa suites. We were SUPER excited based on what I've read on these boards. I'd never done Haven before.

We got to the terminal at around 11:00 and were whisked to the Haven area, where there were sandwiches, desserts, coffee, etc. It was very nice. We were checked in quickly and sat down to wait. Shortly after, Anoop came and said he would be bringing us on board shortly. Then we lined up and.........bonk. Card after card was declined. It seems that when they preprinted the cards, they were all bad and the reader wouldn't read them.

This might have been no big deal, but then an officer came and tried to fix it and told everyone to sit down. However, complainers got up and somehow were let on the ship ahead of those who were waiting patiently. The rest of the ship was boarding and we were still waiting! We were finally rounded up and brought up, but received no information about the Haven area, what benefits it came with or anything. No Anoop! So we sat down and had lunch.

The Haven restaurant is delicious and the staff there were top notch. Especially Jovie. He is the best. After that, we went to our rooms. They were beautifully appointed. We then wandered the ship, did muster, and went back to the Haven where we were less than thrilled. We had to flag down the only server to get drinks, then it took half an hour for them to be delivered. I didn't wait that long in the non-Haven areas. Additionally, a wonderful family decided it would be fun to pour soap in both hot tubs. Soon the tubs were spilling over, creating a lovely fall hazard. No staff did anything until I went in and said something to Anoop. He said a pool man was coming.

More later on the rest of the cruise and more from this lovely soap family.

So that night we had our first specialty dining reservation. My friends had the 4 night package for free but I had to pay for it. We went to Cagney's. I had read on these boards that it wasn't good, but I love steak and figured it would be ok. WOW. The boards are right. Not good. Filet had no flavor. Friends and hubby ordered surf and turf. They said the lobster was like foam. And the service was extremely slow. I was annoyed that I had paid $50 for this meal, but was hoping the other 3 restaurants would be better. We then walked around, visited some bars, then went to a public restroom where there was NO SOAP or paper towels. Other guests were freaking out, as was I. Hello norovirus.

The next morning, we had breakfast in the Haven restaurant. Love that place. Can't say enough good things about it. Then back to the Haven area where again, the family put soap in the hot tubs. We left, did some other stuff like ropes course, etc, then went back that afternoon. Sure enough, soap in the tubs again. I have pics that I will attach when I learn how to. The kids were soaping up their bodies and jumping in the pool also!!!!! Then the family left the shower running and flooded out the area. My friend's hubby had to go turn it off. I had had enough. I went to Anoop and told him this was ridiculous. They had to close both hot tubs so no one could use them. I said the first time the family did that, it was the family's fault, but the second and third time, it was management's fault. At this point, I wanted to talk to an officer. At all the cruise critic meet and greets I've been at, they always ask us to tell them of problems before writing a review, so I wanted to extend that courtesy. I told Anoop all the details and then he promised to call the officer to contact me.

More later.

.. went to a public restroom where there was NO SOAP ...

It was in the hot-tub. :p

Then back to the Haven area where again, the family put soap in the hot tubs.

See, I told ya.

We left, did some other stuff like ropes course, etc, then went back that afternoon. Sure enough, soap in the tubs again.

At that point, the plank (without safety harness) should have been brought into service.

The kids were soaping up their bodies and jumping in the pool also!!!!!

Was the situation reported while the guilty party was there?

They had to close both hot tubs so no one could use them. I said the first time the family did that, it was the family's fault, but the second and third time, it was management's fault.

It depends. If the family was told that their behavior was wrong and the family continued, I would still blame the family.

More later.

We are all waiting to see how/if it was resolved.

The thing that really drove me crazy is that while I was informing Anoop that this was the 3rd time this happened, the father was taking pics of the kids all soaped up and no staff member was saying anything to them about it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Wow :O ... waited with bated breath as to the next instalment of your reports. We have a Haven Spa Suite aboard the Breakaway next year ...

It is great that you had the wherewithal to take it upon yourself to approach the cruise staff re: the "soap" incidents ... it is unfortunate that you had to do it in the first place ... if I can't say anything nice about that family, then I should not say anything at all ...

Wow :O ... waited with bated breath as to the next instalment of your reports. We have a Haven Spa Suite aboard the Breakaway next year ...

It is great that you had the wherewithal to take it upon yourself to approach the cruise staff re: the "soap" incidents ... it is unfortunate that you had to do it in the first place ... if I can't say anything nice about that family, then I should not say anything at all ...

This is what happens when you make the Haven affordable....especially when it's cheaper (or near cheaper) for a family to sail in the Haven instead of other cabins.

Edited by April42749

Unbelievable! We were on the Getaway in a Haven Spa suite last month. Never saw that kind of behavior in the Haven. And Getaways Cagneys was great! Hope the rest of your cruise improved and you enjoyed some nice relaxing Spa time.

This is what happens when you make the Haven affordable....especially when it's cheaper (or near cheaper) for a family to sail in the Haven instead of other cabins.

I beg to differ with you. I believe these passengers paid full price and are the "entitled" kind. The rules just don't apply to them

I beg to differ with you. I believe these passengers paid full price and are the "entitled" kind. The rules just don't apply to them

Just being in the Haven may have given them the aura of entitlement...whatever they paid. And, "kids sail free".

But, glad you complained. If it were me, I would have complained directly to mommy and daddy about the safety issue. (I've complained to parents about less...and I've found if you do it with a smile they comply.)

Later that day I had an appointment with the Guest Service Manager and Anoop. By the way, my friend and I were very excited when we learned Anoop would be our concierge because we had heard such fabulous things about him on this board. We were so disappointed in him.

So Anoop, Shennilyn (manager), my friend and I sat down for a chat in the Haven restaurant. We explained all that had happened from boarding, lack of soap and paper towels in public restrooms and hot tub situation. We were told that all guests affected by the embarkation situation would be getting either ice bar or Cirque show. We chose Cirque show and thanked them. Shennilyn took notes and was very concerned about all I told her. I told her I had two more cruises booked, one in November and one in April, and based on this visit I wasn't sure if I wanted to take them.

She promised to call me every day to make sure I wasn't having any more issues and also said she would speak to management about doing something for us.

I thanked her and Anoop for their time and we parted.

We did use the spa every day, by the way. The spa was nice and a nice break from the insanity in the Haven area.

We were in the Haven on the Breakaway in June. There were a good amount of kids but they were pretty well behaved. Some actually a bit hoity toity but not loud or unruly.

We had Anoop to and he took great care of us.

I guess it depends on the group of people staying in the Haven any given week to make of break the experience. Ours was pure heaven and we plan on going back.

Sent from my XT1080 using Forums mobile app