Up-sell vs upgrade

Do you mean Latitude Rewards?

From the FAQ..

"We upgraded to a Suite but did not receive the additional points. Why?"

The additional point per night for staying in a Suite or in The Haven applies to Suites that were paid at full fare and does not include mini-suites. If you received a free or discounted upgrade, or sailed in a mini-suite, you will not receive the additional points for staying in a Suite.

We just did an upsell last week and the updated confirmation now has LATBONUS on it where it did not before, I'm assuming that is double points but I'm not 100%'sure. With that said though, we were supposed to get double points to begin with but we couldn't reach our PCC the weekend that promo was ending even though we frantically called and emailed to book. We found out a few days later our PCC left NCL when someone new answered his extension, we booked with her and explained how we lost out on the double points since no one answered his extension, returned voicemails or emails. She had us forward the emails to her so she could attempt to get our double points back but we never heard anything about it. She also now doesn't return calls or emails, so it's possible they corrected our double points issue at the same time we took the upsell... Or they accidentally gave us the double points they owed us anyway. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I upGRADED from a BX to a forward suite for my upcoming pearl cruise. I asked that question of the rep (hopefully, she knew). I did NOT take an upSELL offer - I paid the difference between full fare BX and full fare suite. I was told I WILL get the extra point per night due to that. I also got all 4 promos. Had I booked 9 months in advance, I would have lost that extra point, though, but luckily I hadnt.

For an upSELL, you get a discounted price to move from your original booking to suite/Haven, and you do NOT get the 4 perks nor the extra point per night.

^^^From my understanding. I cant be 100% sure until after the cruise

:)

If you pay for an up-sell to a full suite, not a free upgrade, do you get double cruise credits, and if not, why not - you are paying for it?

No such thing as a free upgrade.

Upgrades, you are paying a difference in cost, discounted.

Upsell you are paying a steeply discounted cost to move up (normally to a suite or Havens room) within 2-3 weeks of departure.

I upGRADED from a BX to a forward suite for my upcoming pearl cruise. I asked that question of the rep (hopefully, she knew). I did NOT take an upSELL offer - I paid the difference between full fare BX and full fare suite. I was told I WILL get the extra point per night due to that. I also got all 4 promos. Had I booked 9 months in advance, I would have lost that extra point, though, but luckily I hadnt.

For an upSELL, you get a discounted price to move from your original booking to suite/Haven, and you do NOT get the 4 perks nor the extra point per night.

^^^From my understanding. I cant be 100% sure until after the cruise

:)

You are correct

I got an upsell on May from BX to haven penthouse and received points from my original booking which is okay as I didn't pay full price for suite and I think that is fine

No such thing as a free upgrade.

Upgrades, you are paying a difference in cost, discounted.

... .

When you pay a difference that was offered to you to upgrade that is an upsell.

There IS such a thing as a free upgrade. When you are upgraded to a higher category at no cost and without your asking for it, that is a free upgrade. We have been upgraded that way.

No, you're not. You're paying a discounted price.

OK, let me see if I have this correct. The difference between you are paying for it and you are not paying for it, even though you are paying for it, is that you are not paying for it.

Makes as much sense as there are no free upgrades.

OK, let me see if I have this correct. The difference between you are paying for it and you are not paying for it, even though you are paying for it, is that you are not paying for it.

Disclaimer: numbers may not be entirely accurate, I'm on my phone.

So, for example, a BX on my pearl cruise was total $1250 for the 2 of us for 5 days

A forward PH was about $3500.

When I called (at 93 days out) I paid an additional $2750 to upgrade.

Had I waited until 30 days out, perhaps I could have upsold for $500 pp for a total of $2250. That's $1250 less than full fare.

In the first scenario, I get a new booking date, all 4 promos, suite perks, etc.

In the second, I get a nicer room and suite perks, but only keep the promo I booked with (and keep the original booking date)

Does that make more sense now?

Disclaimer: numbers may not be entirely accurate, I'm on my phone.

So, for example, a BX on my pearl cruise was total $1250 for the 2 of us for 5 days

A forward PH was about $3500.

When I called (at 93 days out) I paid an additional $2750 to upgrade.

Had I waited until 30 days out, perhaps I could have upsold for $500 pp for a total of $2250. That's $1250 less than full fare.

In the first scenario, I get a new booking date, all 4 promos, suite perks, etc.

In the second, I get a nicer room and suite perks, but only keep the promo I booked with (and keep the original booking date)

Does that make more sense now?

In both examples you are paying more than you originally did to book a better room. So if I follow this reasoning, a suite is initially offered for $3000 per person but because of slow sales they lower the cost to $2500 per person therefore only the people who booked at $3000 should get double credits, right?

In both examples you are paying more than you originally did to book a better room. So if I follow this reasoning, a suite is initially offered for $3000 per person but because of slow sales they lower the cost to $2500 per person therefore only the people who booked at $3000 should get double credits, right?

Price fluctuations do not affect the double credits for Suite/Haven bookings, only upgrades do. From the FAQ:

The additional point per night for staying in a Suite or in The Haven applies to Suites that were paid at full fare and does not include mini-suites. If you received a free or discounted upgrade, or sailed in a mini-suite, you will not receive the additional points for staying in a Suite.

Any time you book a Suite/Haven as a new booking and not an upgrade/upsell, you are considered to be paying "full fare", regardless of how much higher or lower it was yesterday, last week, or last month.

Let's try this another way. You're paying a discounted price so you get discounted perks.

People who pay full price get full perks.

You're paying for something, but not for everything.

On our last cruise, we moved from a balcony to a mini-suite to an aft penthouse. Each time, we paid the difference between what we previously paid and the current website fare. We kept the 9 month booking bonus and once we moved to the aft penthouse, we also go the suite bonus.

Had we called the upsell dept or they called us, we would not have received the suite booking bonus as their upgrade cost is less than the full website fare at the time of the upgrade.

Edited by DevCruise

OK, here's another example. On my last cruise on the Breakaway, I was originally booked into a studio cabin. I had a $50 OBC and a $100 specialty dining credit (NOT the plan). I had purchased the UBP, the spa pass, Internet, and a regular SDP. The original price for the cabin was $1100. 31 days out I noticed that there were an abundance of Spa Suites still unbooked, :eek:, so I called and snagged an upsell to a Haven Spa Suite. The upsell was $1200 at double occupancy for a total of $2400. Besides the Haven benefits, which are wonderful, I received zero promos, no spa pass, no extra latitude points.

On my upcoming Epic cruise I was again booked into a studio. I had $50 on board credit and the UBP. Cabin price was $1000. I looked on the website and saw the Haven Spa Suite was at $5400 and practically sold out. This was in May for a Thanksgiving week sailing. I said what the hell, and upGRADED to the Suite. For my expense I receive all the Haven benefits, a spa pass since it's a spa suite, UBP, SDP, Internet, shore excursion credits, access to Posh, and increased OBC to $100. I also get double latitude points which are nice but don't really matter that much to me as I'm already Platinum. I don't know what all this really mean except that I like Haven Spa Suites now, :), but it seems to me that in the end the two cabins really ran me about the same total cost, give or take a few hundred dollars. I think it all washes out in the end and it's just really a matter of whether or not you find the price acceptable to YOU. :)

bobg529, I didn't realize that if you upsell to a Haven Spa Suite the spa pass is not included. I knew there were no extra promos but thought the spa pass was part of the Spa Suite. Good to know for the future.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

People have reported both ways, most recently I remember someone getting upgraded to a spa stateroom on the Epic (GTY booking) and they were given spa access no problem. It is stated policy on some other lines that discounted upgrades to a spa cabin do not give access to the spa, and this may have been NCL's policy in the past, but I don't believe it is anymore. (Or it varies whimsically from ship to ship and from booking to booking.)

Edited by hawkeyetlse

People have reported both ways, most recently I remember someone getting upgraded to a spa stateroom on the Epic (GTY booking) and they were given spa access no problem. It is stated policy on some other lines that discounted upgrades to a spa cabin do not give access to the spa, and this may have been NCL's policy in the past, but I don't believe it is anymore. (Or it varies whimsically from ship to ship and from booking to booking.)

You may be right, but I do believe that the difference is whether it's an upsell or an upgrade. With an upgrade you pay the difference to bring it up to the advertised price, where with an upsell you are receiving a discounted fare. Anyway, that's the way it has worked out for me. As always YRMV. ;)